DIY clear coat repair?

thenag

I came out of work today and had a nice spot on my hood that the clear coat had bubbled up. I have some bubbles on the roof but you don't really look at the roof on a full size truck.

Are there any good DIY clear coat repair methods? The only reason this bothers me is that it is staring at me as I drive.
It is the hood of a 2000 f250, The hood has been replaced due to hail damage about 10 years ago.

Here is a picture
IMG_20140113_152619.jpg

Thanks

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Use a pressure washer to blow all the loose clear coat off, and then wax it. It really won't be noticeable after that. Nothing else short of a strip/paint to fix it AFAIK.

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
We have factory clear coat problems. I looked into this a while ago. There is no fix. There are a lot of companies that say they can fix it but, there is really nothing short of sand repaint and reclear coat.

hoosier

mtn yot
The only RIGHT way to do it is Sam it down an redo it. Up can try to feather the clear coat out an reclear it. When then you might notice it. Good luck with it no matter what you decide

Troop92

The only RIGHT way to do it is Sam it down an redo it. Up can try to feather the clear coat out an reclear it. When then you might notice it. Good luck with it no matter what you decide

The only RIGHT way to do it is Sam it down an redo it.
Is saming it down a new process.;-)

No, you take it to a guy named Sam and he fixes it. All Sams, for whatever reason we've yet to discover, can do this.

thenag

We have factory clear coat problems. I looked into this a while ago. There is no fix. There are a lot of companies that say they can fix it but, there is really nothing short of sand repaint and reclear coat.

That's what I was afraid of, the biggest bummer is that it is right in front of the driver so it is constantly staring at me.

You may try to call the body shop that replaced the hood. Some give warranty.
After 10 years I doubt they have records going back that far, it was also done when my dad owned it in New Mexico, so I am not going to try to pursue it.

Damn just makes me think harder about how much longer to keep this truck (228,000 miles with a 5.4L still on the original clutch) as it sits it won't tow the jeep well (not that I have tried) I have been thinking about renovating it; drop a rebuilt 5.4L and possibly deeper gears, (or swap in a used 5.0L from a newer f150) and get the dings and body work done, I love the color, the manual transmission, it spent it's first 10 years in New Mexico (no salt) the only thing that doesn't work is gas gauge. (or dump it and get an eco-boost f150...)

Dropping $10,000 to renovate a truck that has a blue book of about $5000.00, that sounds totally like me.

Nathan (might have to start some threads in "tow rigs")

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I was thinking about this the other day. What about masking off the hood and painting the center of it flat Black, like the cool kids do these days. Should be pretty cheap.