Do i really need 4 wheel drive on my next tow rig??

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
^^ then you can sell the dodge you currently have instead of making it a donor.
That would put you waaaaay ahead money wise.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I had a 98 5 speed cummins in the 2wd flavor, admittedly I only had the truck a couple years but I never found myself in a situation with it where I "needed" 4wd I just had to plan ahead a bit more. It did have a limited slip, and I was quite surprised some of the places I pulled my crawler at the time. If it was my DD I'd probably desire 4wd a bit more, but you can get away with 2wd

KWight

i wish it was closer for me to look at, i would not be able to licence it in a county that does IM, because the motor is older than the truck. but thank you for the link!

So if the motor is newer than the truck, you are okay with emissions laws up there? I have never heard of this before so appreciate you educating me.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
I'm currently driving a 2wd Duramax 4500 (Kodiak) for work right now and even just last week I had a potentially sketchy moment where I was pulling a large tracked skidsteer up a fairly steep dirt incline (with a curve in it even haha). Got as much momentum before the bottom of the hill as I could but at about 3/4 of the way up I lost traction and had to use some skilled braking to keep the trailer straight behind me while backing down the hill to have another run at it. 2nd time I made it up but barely. 4wd would have walked up it.

I wasn't so lucky today. Made it to the top and then skidded back down halfway.

A0E5117F-F452-4F1E-91C2-6565E0B3BEEF_zpsg9yno87z.jpg

BFFAC49B-3B14-43BF-87B2-78BCA4CDFB9B_zpsq3qhn5yj.jpg

had to chock the tires, unload the skid and reload it at the top of the hill.