Do you ever get bored?

Zac001

Just a question for the more seasoned trail drivers.

Do you ever get bored of just running the same trails every weekend or month or however often you go? or is it something thats relaxing no matter how many times you do it?

like for me i hike and mountain bike the same trail cause i like the view at the top! never get tired of it.. but i was wondering if its different if your in a rig just driving over the same rocks

Badger

I am the Brute squad
It can get boring. One of the reason I don't hit the snakes much any more. Then again like your saying I can always take a trip up AF for a good time no matter how often I go. This is one of the reasons I tend to just fuel up and drive off to no where as much as I can.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I did the Snakes 1.7 million times in the 2003-2006 time frame, I've done them since about 10 times and half of those I was being paid to do so :D

That said, while new places completely enrich an experience... being with neat people is more enriching and if a bunch of RME'ers were doing an RS run and my schedule permitted, I'd be down tomorrow!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
It depends on the trail- I've run Hell's revenge probably 20 times and I'm still excited to run it every time I'm in Moab. If the trail has exciting elements I am always excited. I can't run the snakes more than 2-3 times a year because it's boring I suppose...

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
About the only trail I ever got bored of is Poison Spider, reason being that a buddy broke down a bit above the wedgie, I drove in and out of there 3 times in one afternoon to get him fixed up and swore I would never do the trail again. But I have been up it since because I was in good company, that can make the difference. One thing that has helped is finding other hobbies to include with wheeling, like fishing or looking for cool rocks. I used to go out with the intent of just getting through the trail as quick as possible, but these days I enjoy just sitting and talking on the side of the trail enjoying the atmosphere.

XJEEPER

Ive run lots of Moab and Sandhollow trails multiple times, but I also enjoy photography and exploring for petroglyphs, so I'm rarely bored. Good company makes for good times.....even if your company is an approaching storm, ancient rock art or an amazing sunset.

sixstringsteve

I'm pretty burnt out of rock crawling. That being said, I still love all the memories and fun times I've had crawling. I still enjoy crawling from time to time, but I enjoy the camping/fun/outdoors element of wheeling the most. I don't imagine ever getting burned out of being outdoors, camping, or hanging out with my buddies in nature. I sure hope that never gets old. Fortunately there are lots of ways to recreate in this great state.

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I've found I like to have something I am driving the trail for, Scenic overlook, certain obstacle, fishing spot, etc. I don't really like going out to 5mile, I would rather go up Lake Mountain to the towers and enjoy the view even though it can be done in a stock vehicle.

RogueJeepr

Here!
AF and snakes are getting old. Havent been to Lil Mo in a few years , so I did a quick night out there. That was nice.
Went to moab the last 4 yrs but now that's getting tired (I'll be back one day) . Time to branch out and try something different .
That's this years theme for me . New things .

CobraNutt

I got bored exploring every piece of Utah pavement I could find in my Mustang...so I bought a Jeep to see where all the dirt roads/trails go! I've got awhile before I get bored exploring again! :D

jentzschman

It's all about the people that you go with. If there are bad apples then any trip will be bad/boring. Choose your comrads wisely and never look back.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Depending on the company, RS can be a chore or the best time... I prefer to not run with those that make things a chore. And while I'm STILL a bit of a noob to most of you guys, I love taking enthusiastic new folks on RS. All the while, as I'm slowly getting my trailer readied for the summer, I'm looking forward to some open desert stuff this year. Neighbors with too much credit have a new Super Duty and travel trailer, and a pair of new Polaris side by sides. They have invited the wife and I out camping... Sounds like a ton of fun, with people I get along with. And fun toys. MAYBE, I can get my Tote Gote finished this year and take too...

There are some folks I wouldn't go wheeling with or camping no matter how much you paid me...

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Fortunately (in this case) I have major hobby ADD. I find that having so many different activities to do in the outdoors, I get really excited about one thing, hit it hard, then get burned out so I move on to another. I have been doing this long enough to have come full circle several times now. I am also finding new ways to enjoy the hobbies I have. I started doing some dual sport motorcycling this year and am loving a new way to enjoy riding.

The company is usually the same for me but I have been meeting more new people the last couple of years. Some good experiences and some bad. I am finding more and more it really is all about the journey.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I do get bored of running the same trails if I am just doing them to do them. On the other hand I enjoy running them again and again if there is a purpose. Like I am going with someone new and showing them the area, if I am going with a group of friends for an outing or if I am heading up to the top for some tranquility. Having a purpose in mind makes it enjoyable.

skeptic

I'm pretty burnt out of rock crawling. That being said, I still love all the memories and fun times I've had crawling. I still enjoy crawling from time to time, but I enjoy the camping/fun/outdoors element of wheeling the most. I don't imagine ever getting burned out of being outdoors, camping, or hanging out with my buddies in nature. I sure hope that never gets old. Fortunately there are lots of ways to recreate in this great state.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say I'm burnt out on rock crawling, my job keeps me stupid-busy in the summers so I only manage 2 or 3 "real" trail rides a year. However, I'd much rather take a long scenic 4x4 only trail to an out of the way camping spot. I see trip reports for some of these multi-day from here to there on dirt road trips and I always think to myself "now THAT'S what I'd like to do."

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
I think people grow thru out their wheeling career and the great thing is that this sport allows you to mold and meld yourself to current life situations... if you like the same old same old cool...carry on, if not, you've got unlimited options and RME lets ya explore those options ahead of jumping in a new division of the sport head first.

When I go wheeling no matter if its a trail I've done a hundred times or for the first time I really like the fact I'm outdoors and with good people, so sometimes the boring trails allow me to enjoy other parallels in life.

Another aspect is that I'm a complete gearhead and being out and about in a machine I built allows me to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Add rear steer and the trails your bored with become really fun again... :D