Do you think tire siping actually help?

Wasatch Rebel

Man of the mountains
Every time I buy some tires from Discount Tire, they try to sell me siping. I've driven a mail truck for years and one year they siped all their tires. I noticed absolutely no difference in the kind of traction I got in snowy/icy conditions. So I ask you, do you think it helps in any way? I'm thinking that if it actually worked, the tire manufacturers would do it themselves and advertise it as such. Thoughts?

ID Bronco

I have seen improvements with siping. Tire manufacturers do it all the time, look at a Blizzak or simmilar. It has tons and tons of siping. They do advertise it as such, its called a snow tire. I do it on nearly every tire I get for my truck or Suburban. Here in Idaho we get some pretty bad weather and roads and it makes more agressive tires much better on the ice.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
It works on ice and slick stuff very well from what I've seen. I've noticed on the M/T's tires is very quick tread wear with siping :eek: I won't ever have tires siped for that reason alone :-\

Caleb

Yeah, most tires that are advertised as winter or snow tires (especially for passenger cars) are siped from the factory. I most definitely can tell a difference. We had a set of snow tires for my wife's Civic and the siping helped in a big way.

DAA

I had my last set of the old style MT/R's siped. Made a very noticeable improvement on slick and snowy pavement. They did chunk a bit worse than usual in the rocks, but not too awful.

- DAA

ID Bronco

It works on ice and slick stuff very well from what I've seen. I've noticed on the M/T's tires is very quick tread wear with siping :eek: I won't ever have tires siped for that reason alone :-\

I had my last set of the old style MT/R's siped. Made a very noticeable improvement on slick and snowy pavement. They did chunk a bit worse than usual in the rocks, but not too awful.

- DAA

My current set of tires are old style mtr's. I sipe all of my mt's in the middle 3/4 of the tread. Leaving the outer tread blocks in tact. Not much chunking results. I have done this to bfg mt's, swamper ssr's, Cooper Discoverer stt's, the mtr's and a few others and same results. It is most noticeable on our streets when it has been extremely cold and the ice is abnormally hard/packed/nasty slick.

If I lived in SLC I probably would not sipe them. I visit fairly often and my family resides there, the winters really aren't too bad in the valley. I know you get a few storms that dump a bunch but it was really nice a couple of weeks ago when I visited.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Someone said that siping killed the thread life? I had thought it was the opposite of it, I was under the impression it's supposed to help. But I do see that most all snow tires have a bunch of siping everywhere on them. I couldnt say how much it helps though, on dry pavement they certainly were no performers lol.

Caleb

Someone said that siping killed the thread life? I had thought it was the opposite of it, I was under the impression it's supposed to help. But I do see that most all snow tires have a bunch of siping everywhere on them. I couldnt say how much it helps though, on dry pavement they certainly were no performers lol.
Siping should help tread life, but that comes from passenger tires, not mudders with 1/2"-1" tall tread blocks. When you sipe a tread block that tall, it will introduce a lot more movement which builds heat which will kill tread blocks. It can easily cause chunking as a lot of guys report.

I think on a large mudder, grooving would provide more benefit than siping.