Dodge Cummins Megacab Tow Rig

I think we are finally arriving at a time to get a new tow rig. I'm thinking I want a Cummins 5.9 24v in a Dodge 2500 or 3500 SRW 4WD. My wife has pretty much decided the megacab is for her. I guess that puts us in the 2006-2007.5 range. If we don't find what we want, I haven't ruled out a deleted 6.7 in the newer years. Haven't decided yet whether we want the 6-speed or the Auto. I wish it were easy to get the newer 6-speed auto behind the 5.9. I know it is possible, just not at a reasonable price.

I know about the steering and front end issues. For us, it will be used a couple of times a week and then as a tow rig to pull a 15k trailer or 5th wheel. If it were only towing, I would want DRW, but it will be mainly driven by the wife, and I think that would make it too inconvenient. From what I have seen looking, I wish people didn't put so many lifts on these kind of trucks. I guess it is possible to undo a lift, but doesn't sound like a lot of fun finding the right parts.

Anyway, I'm open to advice from those who have been there. Feel free to tell me how crazy this idea is.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Having Driven all generations of the Ram / Dodge Cummins trucks.

Hands down the 4th Generation is the best in my opinion.

The 1st gens are cool. and loud as hell.

2nd Gens are good but death wobble is not fun.

3rd Gens are good, but not as refined.

4th gens are my favorite. Super quiet, comfortable and endless amounts of power. Even with emissions equipment intact.

I have a 2013 2500 Long Bed Crewcab with the Laramie package. I like it a lot. I have very little to ever complain about. Lots of interior room. If I could have found a good deal on a Megacab, I would have gotten one.

4th gens are my favorite. Super quiet, comfortable and endless amounts of power.

I guess I hadn't noticed the 4th gen being that much quieter in the ones we have driven. Maybe I need to pay more attention or it is because we haven't towed a load with one.

4th gens have huge back seats too.... no extra legroom in a megacab, just room behind the seat. Love my '11

Yea, The 4th gen Crew cabs that we have looked at had enough legroom. She just likes the way the seats fold down flat in the Megacab and the 60/40 split.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I love my deleted 4h gen. I love it even more with the compound turbo set up. If you saw the thread on the rebuild of the motor, It was something I could have prevented if I would have paid closer attention to some signs of issues with my injectors. The 6 speed auto has been great for me. I have around 130k on it with a majority of it being towing our 45 foot toy hauler and it is still working great. The 68rfe is not a bulletproof transmission but will treat you well if you do not abuse it. I have been running a tranny tune that brings the line pressures up and gives me 2nd gear torque converter lock out for quite awhile and I believe this has prolonged the life of the tranny. I also use the manual shift when towing and let off the gas to lessen the stress when it shifts. I do not plan on getting rid of this truck anytime soon, so when the transmission needs attention I will invest into a properly built tranny that can handle the added HP and torque that I have now.

As far as the front end goes, it's a Dodge. At a 130k I just got done going through it since I recently developed a good case of death wobble. Did ball joints and shocks first and it was better but not gone. Added a BD track bar and it has been good. Even though it appears to be fixed I think I am going to add a steering box brace to it also.

B-RAD

I have an 06 Mega Cab I was thinking of selling in a month or so I had a whole description typed out but RME kicked me out

I have an 06 Mega Cab I was thinking of selling in a month or so I had a whole description typed out but RME kicked me out

Great! Feel free to post, or PM me or text any info to 801-499-916two. I'm serious, but not necessarily in a hurry. Hopefully I can get the starter fixed on my 11 liter cummins this weekend to make some space. :)

I love my deleted 4h gen. I love it even more with the compound turbo set up. If you saw the thread on the rebuild of the motor

Yea, I followed the thread pretty closely. That is way more than I ever plan on doing to one, but it was cool to see. Of the newer trucks I have driven, I really, really like the 68rfe. Seems to be tuned perfectly for the stock motor. Gotta love the double overdrive to keep the diesel motor down where it belongs.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Ram retuned my transmission 68RFE last time it was in. It was an update flash for it. Man it shifts so much better since that update. I love it. It was always lugging me really slow to shift before that. It's like a whole new truck now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I have a 2008 megacab with the deleted 6.7 and love it. I had a 4th gen as well for about a year and I honestly like the third gen megacab better. the 4th gen wasnt any quieter or better driving. mine was a 2014 BTW

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I have a 2014 now and love it, not a mega cab but still has tons of room. I never owned a 3rd gen so I can't offer anything on the difference, but have had several second gens and a 1st gen. Worlds of difference from the second gen but thats to be expected they are 20 years removed from each other. I was skeptical of the coil rear springs but I love how great this truck rides empty for a 3/4 ton, and still takes a load great. If you are worried about emission crap I wouldn't worry to much. I don't know long term, and I plan to remove my EGR when i'm out of warranty but the thing still has more power than i'll ever need and i'm getting 18/19 mpg city and 21/22 hwy. (Mine is a manual)

leorn

reset
I bought an 07 w/ 6.7 deleted with 240k on it. I think it needs a new trans. I am debating getting a 68 again over a swapping to a manual. Close to same cost for a built 68 vs the swap. I just love the double overdrive way too much to the point I would rather baby that. I love how quiet it is. The interior feels really nice to me, but I'm used to old trucks.

I thought I would hate driving my 24v 5.9 nv4500 and surprisingly it was still fun to drive, but that one is just an old work truck and is not one I want to take on a vacation. The 07 I can hear my passengers, has the room I need (4 door) and rides way better.

I'm sure the 5.9 would be fine, but I would take a 6.7 every time, especially with that trans.

We ended up buying a 4th Gen 2012. Although I would have loved to have had the 5.9 motor, I decided the newer generation and newest transmission was more important to us. I know many on this list will consider it a downgrade, but the first tasks, besides installing a gooseneck and fifth wheel hitch is removing the lift kit and likely putting more stockish wheels and highway tires on it. For us, it is a tow rig, and whatever makes it do that job better is desirable. I have been extremely impressed with the driving and towing I have done with it so far. Love the built-in exhaust brake coming down Parleys. Not quite as stable as the freightliner with it's dual stage jake brake, but close enough for what we haul.

2012 Dodge 3500.jpg

I'll likely be posting the lift kit and tires and wheels on here soon.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Then engine brake is the whole reason I went with the compound turbo kit I did. I was not willing to give up that feature to go with a bigger primary turbo....even though I could have added a Pac Brake to. My toy hauler comes in right about 18K pounds when loaded and I rarely have to touch my brakes when traveling down any canyon grade.