dodge deisel

cameron tanner

I am thinking about buying a dodge deisel. just looking for some opinions comparing the 12 valve to the 24 valve, power, fuel mileage and reliablity of the two. I am also wondering about the automaic. have you had any troubles with them. I know the 5 or 6 speed is better for pulling, but they are harder to find. any info would be great.

thanks

cam

53 willys

Bad speller
I like the 24v but it takes a few things to make it so it wont leave you stranded. I would put a fuel pressure gauge on it first thing, the 24v injection pumps are lubricated and cooled on extra diesel fuel running through them but the problem is the lift pump (lift pump supplies 10-15psi to the injection pump) can die at any time and the truck wont tell you it's dead. it will run with 0 psi until you break the fuel prime or your $1200 injection pump dies witch is usually what happens :mad2: so if put a fuel gauge on it you can watch the psi and see when the pump is dieing and change it before it burns up the injection pump. I would also check to make sure it is not a 53 BLOCK all the info is here about it 53 block info
I still like 24v better then 12v mostly because the trucks are newer on the inside but they did have 12v until 1998.5

I like 6 speeds better but the auto will hold up fine until you start adding power to the truck if you plan on bombing the truck beef up the trans first.

another thing about 24v is if you add power you can turn it up and down with a button, but the 12v take some fuel plate changes to add power.

I had a 93 12v with 225,0000 miles on it and it ran like it was new now I have 01 24v both are great truck's price would be how I decide what one to buy. if you want to learn more check out this there is tons and tons of cummins info on herehere

good luck Mark :)

Last edited:

Meat_

Banned
I like my 24, I don't pull a lot with it but I haven't' had any real problems (other than the transfer pump ;) it was bad when I got it) The 24's definitely start better in the cold (not plugged in)

FYI they did make a very few quad cabs with 12 valves

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
go 24v but get a manual. i replaced my auto with like 50k miles on the truck and it was $4k for an ats tranny.
diesels are a money pit just as much as jeeps. try to be practical :D

cameron tanner

the deisel in my price range have between 150k and 200k is there any paticular problems I need to look for. from what people say you should get at least 300k or more out of them.

cam

DToy

I have a '99 Quad Cab 24V Auto with 35's on it - lately I've been getting 18.5 mpg unloaded and 14 to 15 pulling. My truck has 106K miles on it and the auto is still working fine (knock on wood). I have an edge comp chip on my truck but I keep it at the lowest setting and don't get too into the throttle most of the time.

Like the others have said, if you get a 24V put a fuel pressure gauge on it immediately. My lift pump went out last year about this time and took out my injection pump - cost me $1800 for a new injection pump and upgraded lift pump. I wouldn't buy a 24V without checking the fuel pressure before I bought it. But they are great trucks. For a good deal I'd buy one with 150-200K on it.

53 willys

Bad speller
cameron tanner said:
the deisel in my price range have between 150k and 200k is there any paticular problems I need to look for. from what people say you should get at least 300k or more out of them.

cam
53 block is worth making sure you DONT GET!! if you plan on putting any extra HP to it and pulling with it.

If you keep your Cummins mantained then it will last longer then the rest of the truck.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
DToy said:
Like the others have said, if you get a 24V put a fuel pressure gauge on it immediately. My lift pump went out last year about this time and took out my injection pump - cost me $1800 for a new injection pump and upgraded lift pump. I wouldn't buy a 24V without checking the fuel pressure before I bought it. But they are great trucks. For a good deal I'd buy one with 150-200K on it.

ditto-

I have a 24v with the 5 speed and really the only time I use it is to pull, I love the truck it hasn't let me down,

I was lucky enough to catch my lifter pump before it took my injector pump. It was all luck...

53 willys

Bad speller
if you buy a 12v the injection pump is lubed off the engine oil so then you would never really have to worry about it. 12v new body style is 94-98.5.

Meat_

Banned
Mines a 53, I've had it almost 4 years now and I finally need to add a little bit of anti freeze..... I think my block is fine ;)

53 willys

Bad speller
I don't know anyone personally but on other forum's there is quite a few guys with cracked 53 blocks. you might get lucky and never have it blow, but I think if your spending the money and what the truck to last and you know the info BEFORE you buy why not take advantage of it. The engine has 100,000 mile warranty but if you bomb the truck with a comp box(tap the fun wire :D ) you will void the warranty plus he is looking at trucks that are out of warranty anyway.

I would not want to take the chance on a 53 block it would make me sick if I had to try and fix or replace a cracked block$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :eek:
There are a ton of people that tow hard with 53 blocks with no problems but you just never know if it will hold up or not.

but I would still buy a 53 block before a d-max. I'm sure it would last longer.

Last edited: