Dodge or Chevy tow rig?

JoeT

Now unlike RockMonkey I'm looking for a used setup. I'm looking at a 90's Chevy/GMC 1500/2500 extra cab 4x4 or a '94 Dodge in the same range. My budget is $5-$6500. I'm only interested in the Dodge because of the real front axle but can live with IFS. Let's not talk about the "F" word in this post.:D

JoeT

I want a extended cab for sure. I do not want to pay for a big block thirsty appetite either. I know Marc's truck is a sweet deal but I'll pass.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
9-10 mpg with a carb if you keep the speed below 65-70, after that it goes WAY down.......{BTW, I wouldn't bother to sell it if it had more seats. That's my ONLY complaint about it}

Caleb

no question, I would go for the dodge...the IFS is not a vehicle to tow with (I dont care what anyone says:p) be sure to get a 3/4T or larger...I see you mentioned a 1/2T that is why I say this...you can make a 1/2T tow your rig but its not gonna be happy about it in the lest bit...also the frames are often heavier duty on the 3/4T and bigger brakes pls wit he 1/2T you are likel to be over the legal limit of our truck meaning if you got a wreck you could seriosly be SOL...;)

JoeT

I'm not worried about IFS but I've not heard alot of good things about the Dodges. Chevies are a dime a dozen and easier to find parts for.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
After workin on the chevy's for 3 years I would say go with a Chevy. 3/4 ton of course and don't worry about the IFS....I mean you don't wanna wheel it right? The chevys tow great and last forever....my .02 cents.

fergusor

I just got rid of my 96 dodge 1/2 ton and really didnt care for the motor. It had the 5.9 and it drank the gas and was really slow on any hill. The motor was good but really didnt have the power I needed to pull with. I would look around and I bet you could find a older diesel for a good price

Caleb

Originally posted by BBowski82
whatever you do............DON'T GET A CHEVY W/ A DIESIL!!

the 6.2 and 6.5 is junk, junk, junk.

I was thinking the same thing...he says not to get a dodge but to get an older diesel..boy talk about gutless and gas guzzler (the old chevy diesel that is:D)

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Here is my .02... You Chevy guys probably won't believe it, but...

My dad has a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 single cab, short bed. It has the 5.9L V8, and the auto... He bought it back in 94 and it has been a champion... He uses it to tow, but it is mainly his daily driver. He takes it to work every day and uses it for yardwork etc... We went down to Moab one year and had our four-wheeler in the bed and towed our camper trailer... Yeah the headlights were sky high and the back was sagged down, but he went 75 the entire way! He had to pull over a couple times so I could catch up in my jeep! :)

It is 8 almost 9 years old and the thing is still running strong... It has 182,000 miles on it and has had "1" (yes that is a 1) major repair on it since we have had it! The hubs went out on the front dana 44... Thats it! :D

Now that is a champ for a truck!

The only problem with it really is the automatic tranny... It won't hold the truck on a hill (for example you are sitting at a red light and take your foot off the brake and you will roll backwards like a manual tranny) But thats the only problem with it. Engine is in top shape... Yeah we pulled the oil pan and there are metal shavings in the bottom and the pistons have a lot of wear... But what engine with that many miles won't have that?

Oh one more story... This is cool. My dad does advertising and my cousin works for eaton... They hooked up down in Moab and were testing out their new Eaton E-Locker which was installed in a Ford F-150 (sorry I said the F word) and the guy driving it was such a wussy that my dad had to show him it wasnt so bad... My dad did Hell's Revenge in his Dodge Ram! How cool is that?!!! :D

Bones

I assume we are talking about gas engines since the chevy diesel is JUNK! That being said, I'd jump on a 3/4 or 1 ton chevy with a big block and a manual tranny. Driven a few Dodges (318 and 360) and don't think the power is in the right range for me. Towed with one (1/2 ton) and it was even worse.

A BB chevy is the only gasser rig I would buy.

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
I had a 96 Dodge 1500 with the 5.9 for my daily driver/tow rig. It towed fine as long as I wasn't going up a hill, or into a headwind.

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Originally posted by WayneXJ
I had a 96 Dodge 1500 with the 5.9 for my daily driver/tow rig. It towed fine as long as I wasn't going up a hill, or into a headwind.

isn't that like saying "my jeep wheels great as long as there is no rocks or dirt" ???

Moon

Originally posted by JeepinJoe
Now unlike RockMonkey I'm looking for a used setup. I'm looking at a 90's Chevy/GMC 1500/2500 extra cab 4x4 or a '94 Dodge in the same range. My budget is $5-$6500. I'm only interested in the Dodge because of the real front axle but can live with IFS. Let's not talk about the "F" word in this post.:D

What you dont like the looks of the older dodges? you can sometimes find extended cab cumins in the pre 94 for about that price range. As far as 4x4 why? you said your not wheeling it why pay for the extra wieght. if your going to use it like a daily drive and stuff then chev 1500 4x4 what ever year has the best deal and leat amount of miles its not worth the extra fuel comsumption of a 3/4 or 1 ton if you use it more for not towing than for towing and I garntee the 350 will do the speed limit on any posted road pulling your jeep. from 89 to now our company has had 4 extended cabs and 3 reg cab. short bed on all of them 1/2 ton 4x4 with 350s and would get around 120,000 mies out of them before little things would go out but they were used hard.
never had anything but a smooth ride out of the IFS on the chevs
the auto tranies hold up to tortur untill about 120,000 miles besides that the manuels I cant rember why we got rid of them. I think we got around 170,000 out of them and the rest were sold when we down sized. with oubout the same miles and hadnt had any probs. They pulled alot of camptrailers seen alot of off road and alot of highway at 90mph+ (crazy brothers)