Dodge or Chevy tow rig?

Caleb

Originally posted by MudSlideJeeps

What you dont like the looks of the older dodges? you can sometimes find extended cab cumins in the pre 94 for about that price range. As far as 4x4 why? you said your not wheeling it why pay for the extra wieght. if your going to use it like a daily drive and stuff then chev 1500 4x4 what ever year has the best deal and leat amount of miles its not worth the extra fuel comsumption of a 3/4 or 1 ton if you use it more for not towing than for towing and I garntee the 350 will do the speed limit on any posted road pulling your jeep. from 89 to now our company has had 4 extended cabs and 3 reg cab. short bed on all of them 1/2 ton 4x4 with 350s and would get around 120,000 mies out of them before little things would go out but they were used hard.
never had anything but a smooth ride out of the IFS on the chevs
the auto tranies hold up to tortur untill about 120,000 miles besides that the manuels I cant rember why we got rid of them. I think we got around 170,000 out of them and the rest were sold when we down sized. with oubout the same miles and hadnt had any probs. They pulled alot of camptrailers seen alot of off road and alot of highway at 90mph+ (crazy brothers)

well you have some interesting comments in there...you talk about fuel consumption...the larger trucks will prolly drink more gas, so what they also likely have larger engines;)(BTW, my 1 ton gets 16-18 wether I am towing or not;))...a 1/2T is likely to be over its legal towing weight once you get a fullsize trailer and a truck/jeep behind it..if not the safety margin is too little for me...yes IFS does have a smooth ride, why?? you ask, because its a passenger car suspension design, not a truck suspension design...have you ever tried to pull a boat off a ramp in 2wd...sometimes its pretty hard, we have a 2WD dually Dodge 3500 with a cummins and it even has a hard time sometimes with just small speed boats...this is also true about winter wheelin, you gotta stop and then start again sometime;) I will never own a 2wd tow rig no matter what...yeah its cheaper in the beggining but you will also have a harder time trying to sell it...kinda like a diesel, you pay more upfront but the resale is ALWAYS higher on them...

JoeT

Some very interesting points so far. I definetly want a 4x4, for winter,towing off-road and because I live in Utah. I don't like the looks of the older Dodges that about as aerodynamic as a barn. But the fact that I can get a older one with a cummins is tempting. No Chevy diesel either, I know that they are crap. 3/4 ton sounds like the way to go.

Moon

Originally posted by supergper

well you have some interesting comments in there...you talk about fuel consumption...the larger trucks will prolly drink more gas, so what they also likely have larger engines;)(BTW, my 1 ton gets 16-18 wether I am towing or not

You say that your getting that mileage out of what you say for him to get a dodge.. well the only dodge that will get that kind of mileage I know of towing is the Cummins and it is going to be a stretch with hunting season coming to find one in that price range and yes if he is towing all over the place he might want to pay alittle more if he finds any Cummins but the v-10s will never get that kind of mileage and I don't know any other engines dodge made in the years mentioned. that would get that kind of mileage pulling. So its a given to get a Cummins over any other made now or ever. But he isn't on a Cummins budget. I am going to be very interested to see what he comes up with in that price range. sometimes miracles happen to those with jeeps. good luck

Caleb

Originally posted by MudSlideJeeps

You say that your getting that mileage out of what you say for him to get a dodge.. well the only dodge that will get that kind of mileage I know of towing is the Cummins and it is going to be a stretch with hunting season coming to find one in that price range and yes if he is towing all over the place he might want to pay alittle more if he finds any Cummins but the v-10s will never get that kind of mileage and I don't know any other engines dodge made in the years mentioned. that would get that kind of mileage pulling. So its a given to get a Cummins over any other made now or ever. But he isn't on a Cummins budget. I am going to be very interested to see what he comes up with in that price range. sometimes miracles happen to those with jeeps. good luck

well no, I am not getting that mileage out of a dodge, mines a Ford PS and I got mine for pretty close to his budget (mines a 99 supercab:D) you are the one that said 3/4T and 1 T get bad mileage I was just showing you that not all larger trucks get bad mileage...

Moon

Originally posted by supergper

well no, I am not getting that mileage out of a dodge, mines a Ford PS and I got mine for pretty close to his budget (mines a 99 supercab:D) you are the one that said 3/4T and 1 T get bad mileage I was just showing you that not all larger trucks get bad mileage...

See good things can happen to good people. F**d dodge, chev, what ever if you only pay that much for a rig that will pull, that gets that kinda milage then your doing something right. Must be a jeep thing :cool: