Dodge Ram 1500

Mopar_magic

My daily driver is a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4 wheel drive. Last wednesday, I started having a problem with the transmission. It didnt want to shift under acceleration until about 3500 RPM from first to second. If you would let off the accelerator, it would shift normally. But sometimes it would want to shift back to first, like it was lacking power. The next day, my cat plugged up and I had it replaced. I thought that maybe the cat was the culprit and I was just not getting enough power. But now I have changed the CAT, did a tune-up, and the tranny is still shifting weird. Any ideas?

GETBENT

CRASH
Mopar_magic said:
My daily driver is a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4 wheel drive. Last wednesday, I started having a problem with the transmission. It didnt want to shift under acceleration until about 3500 RPM from first to second. If you would let off the accelerator, it would shift normally. But sometimes it would want to shift back to first, like it was lacking power. The next day, my cat plugged up and I had it replaced. I thought that maybe the cat was the culprit and I was just not getting enough power. But now I have changed the CAT, did a tune-up, and the tranny is still shifting weird. Any ideas?

How's the fluid level? Maybe you need to flush the Tranny fluid. I don't know Jack about Auto tranny's but that's what I would check first.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I have had the same problem in my explorer...

what might be happening is a direct result of the new fluid...YES the new fluid. When you change your tranny fluid, you introduce new detergents which can sometimes be destructive to almost failing parts. IF a seal is getting towards its death point, the new detergents can kill it and cause more problems then it was intended to prevent.

I had this happen about 2 weeks after a fluid change and flush in my explorer, the 1-2 shift was not happening until I lifted my foot off the gas. The malfunctioning part is the piston for the 1-2 band.

I went to a buddy of mine I used to work for and he diagnosed it from his office chair and sold me the part for 15 bucks. I popped off the cover on teh side of the tranny, fished out the piston and spring and replaced it...the skirt on the seal of the rubber coated piston was cracked in the crease and was getting significant blowby....once replaced, it ran like a champ until 2 years later when it was t-boned by a dumb ***** running a red light....

anyway, this is probably what is going on, if you want a real honest transmission guy....of which there are very few, call lelis transmissions in riverdale and as for Brent Hiatt...and talk to noone else. and tell him spence clements sent ya...

Mopar_magic

Thanks for the advice. Lelis is where I always take my vehicles because they have been honest with me in the past. I will give your friend a call.