Dodge Truck Cummins

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
Does anyone know if a 98 dodge cummins came with a Catalytic Converter. r what the stock set up is on those? Do they just have a expansion chamber or what?

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
Flowmast

Meat_ said:
Resonance chamber, and no you don't want to take it off.

I think it was already taken off. If I remember right when he bought the truck it has an exhaust with a flowmaster and that is how he has left it. Oh well I will let him know

DToy

I took the resonator and muffler out of my '99 Dodge Cummins a couple of years ago with no issues, other than a little hassle at safety inspection time. I just put on an AFE 4" exhaust kit and it only has a muffler - no resonator.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
yes they do, well its more of an ash collector the 24V were exempt because of the electronic injection (more efficiant) the collector traps heat, boosts egt's and adds to spool up time on stock and modified engines if you are not worried about emmision tests and a lot more noise than loose it! and get a turbo back 4" you won't believe the inprovement.

53 willys

Bad speller
straight pipe 12v=good sound

straight pipe 24v=weird freeway hum

I loved my 12v with straight pipe but my 24v made a terrible humming noise at freeway speed. so I put an exhaust on it and I like it alot better.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Meat_ said:
I don't have personal experience with it, but I've heard from several people that it makes your truck obnoxiously loud.
mine is a full 4" kit with a muffler and sounds great at any speed.

but I have heard if you just straight pipe a stock system there can be a droning sound at freeway speeds.

Meat_

Banned
James K said:
mine is a full 4" kit with a muffler and sounds great at any speed.

but I have heard if you just straight pipe a stock system there can be a droning sound at freeway speeds.

What have you done to it? What year?

Meat_

Banned
James K said:
2000, 6 speed, 4x4...........edge ez box, full 4"exhaust, K&N cone filter and guages. nothin' special but it all works real well together.

<-- auto.... I just don't dare chip it with the stock trans :sick:

53 willys

Bad speller
if you dont beat on it I think the auto would be ok, but be careful.

if your talking chips I say get the Edge comp box and just dont tap the fun wire till your ready to up grade your trans. it will save you $$$ in the end, and the comp box untapped is the same as a EZ Edge. just my .02:)