does anyone have a straight piped ctd?

I think Im going to do the exhaust on my truck next week and I would like to hear the sound of an 02ish Dodge ctd with a straight pipe on it so I can pull the trigger.

I am in the layton/salt lake area so if you are around here that would be perfect :)

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I would also run a muffler i ran my 2001CTD strait piped it was ok around town and stuff on out on the highway or long drives it was unbearably annoying so i quickly installed a muffler

ATOYA4U

Cheating is trying!!
My 05 is straight piped and i like it. But my buddies 2000 straight piped seems to be a tad louder. My advice straight pipe it and see if you like it. If you don't you can always put a muffler on later!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Get a muffler. Straight piped drones on the freeway, and irritates the sh*t out of those around you especially when it's working like towing a load, or heading out of your driveway in the morning.

Fixed it. :cody:

There was a guy here with a straight piped CTD, I could hear him when he started his truck up in the morning-- from just under a 1/2mi away. In a residential, and therefore sound-absorbing, neighborhood. And every time I rode in that thing we'd be yelling over the exhaust hahahahah yeeeeah, no thanks.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
It sounds cool for about 2 days.

I don't understand how the drivers with straight piped semi trucks stay sane. Some of them I can feel before they are within a truck length of passing me. :eek:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I had a '99 CTD that I straight piped, it was stupid loud. Sounded cool for the first few days, but wore on you after that. The droning was especially bad, really got to you after driving for more than 30 min.

I wouldn't do it again.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I recently put a 4" turbo back system on my 06 ctd that got rid of the cat but has a muffler. There is not a big noise difference at idle our driving around town, but it does have a somewhat annoying drone at 80 mph.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
I don't know what's wrong with my buddies ctd but I'm pretty sure it has some sort of muffler. I wouldn't describe it as loud as much as embarrassing... I love the truck but I worry that I'm going to get shot at by some annoyed bystander. I really don't under stand loud cars and trucks, loud does not always mean high performance, usually it means cheap.

I don't know what's wrong with my buddies ctd but I'm pretty sure it has some sort of muffler. I wouldn't describe it as loud as much as embarrassing... I love the truck but I worry that I'm going to get shot at by some annoyed bystander. I really don't under stand loud cars and trucks, loud does not always mean high performance, usually it means cheap.

I'm cheap :rofl:

Toad

I can usually get killer deals on Diamond Eye exhaust if your interested. Most definatly put a muffler in that truck. I hear them all day long buzzing by the shop straight piped. For some reason it is always the dodge guys that want them staight piped.

dirtydog

definatly put a muffler in that truck. I hear them all day long buzzing by the shop straight piped. For some reason it is always the dodge guys that want them staight piped.
They sound great straight-piped.......around town. But cruising the highway @2000 rpm the drone will drive you out of your mind. You'll want a muffler......

StormRider

FYI- When I did safety/emission in november last year for my 2005 CTD, the tech told me that this year they are required to check for mufflers/cats, and showed me a big book of OEM diesel equipment.