Does anyone know the engine conversion laws cause I need help!

My-yota

E-bays #1 customer
I got a chev 4.3 engine froma friend, this engine is built to the max he replaced everything, it has been rebuilt to about a 305. The only problem it has no fuel injection stuff on it, and my toyota truck is a 89 with emission control. I not real fond of the carburetor, besides that it's illegal to do that on this truck. So holley has a fuel injection conversion kit has anyone used this yet and will it pass emissions? Or what are my other options on getting a fire breathing dragon under my 4 bangers hood!

It's not legal to put any engine in a vehicle that wasn't offered in that vehicle at some time. So long as it's cleaner running I don't think you'd get harrassed by the emissions and inspections people.
I'm getting away with it because the new engine in my jeep is just a newer version of my old engine even though it's from a different vehicle.
I seem to remember that you could get special permission from the division of emissions control or something like that so you might want to look into that.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I'd go down and talk to whomever does the safety/emissions inspection for YOUR truck (wherever you normally take it). See what their position is on it. They are the ones that will have to make the judgement anyway.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
from what I understand if the vehicle is a 84 or newer its no dice, but if it s 83 and older you are ok.

The swapped motor must also meet the IM requirements of the year of the vehicle it is being swapped into.

someone correct me if I'm wrong.

SammiGrrl

big, blue, & beautiful
mbryson said:
I'd go down and talk to whomever does the safety/emissions inspection for YOUR truck (wherever you normally take it). See what their position is on it. They are the ones that will have to make the judgement anyway.

good call. I know the people who do my emmissions pretty my told me it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to beg for permission... as long as it passes emmission tests, I don't think most places care. unless you have an eco-nazi from California doing your tests. :mad:

fullsizeyota

I fart sometimes
James K said:
from what I understand if the vehicle is a 84 or newer its no dice, but if it s 83 and older you are ok.

The swapped motor must also meet the IM requirements of the year of the vehicle it is being swapped into.

someone correct me if I'm wrong.

i thought it was 89, but i really have no idea. i just remember my buddy saying a 454 would be cool in his 89 blazer- he said was the year for legal swaps

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
SammiGrrl said:
unless you have an eco-nazi from California doing your tests. :mad:

Funny thing is that CA is more leanient with motor swaps than UT. It doesn't matter what you swap in, as long as it burns as clean or cleaner than stock (in CA).

There are alot of people (on this board) that have done swaps that are considered illegal, and most don't have many issues getting them registered. Just make sure that your swap is done professionally, looks clean and runs clean, and you'll be just fine.

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
my buddie bought an 82 toy truck with a 327 in it. Jiffy lube (where he works)said that that was the cutoff year. I hope so cuz I might be going 454 in an 80 truck. I still hesitate..... Call UHP and ask. Just be anonomous..... :rofl:

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Coreshot said:
Funny thing is that CA is more leanient with motor swaps than UT. It doesn't matter what you swap in, as long as it burns as clean or cleaner than stock (in CA).

There are alot of people (on this board) that have done swaps that are considered illegal, and most don't have many issues getting them registered. Just make sure that your swap is done professionally, looks clean and runs clean, and you'll be just fine.

that or get a 67 or older and don't sweat it :D

oh yeah proud owner of a 67 jeepster :D :p

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
legalease from
Salt lake valley health dept
10.3 Engine Changes.
10.3.1 All vehicles which qualify for testing under this section shall be tested by the
Department only.
10.3.2 Vehicles qualifying for testing under this Section shall not be eligible for a repair
waiver.
10.3.3 After July 1, 1991 no new verifications of engine changes in accordance with
Sections 10.3.4 and 10.3.5 of these Regulations shall be accepted unless it is
demonstrated to the satisfaction of the Director that the changed system is equally or
more effective in controlling emissions than those systems originally manufactured on the
vehicle. Installing an older engine or installing an engine with an engine displacement that
is other than that originally available for the vehicle, will result in the vehicle being
classified as “tampered”. The rules relating to tampering will then apply to such vehicle.
10.3.3.1 Testing according to the guidelines of Sections 10.3.4 and 10.3.5 of these
Regulations shall only pertain to those vehicles that received verification by the
Department prior to July 1, 1991.
10.3.4 For 1968 to 1983 vehicles, having an engine older than the original, the owner
may apply to the Director for a verification of an engine change. Verification will be
made, provided that the owner can prove the actual model year of the engine. The model
year of the engine shall be substantiated by a reference manual or an affidavit from a
reputable source, as determined by the Director. The cutpoints for the year of the engine
may then be used rather than the year of the vehicle. Vehicles with engines older than
1968 shall be tested to 1968 standards.
10.3.5 If a 1984 and newer vehicle has an engine other than the original, the vehicle
owner must demonstrate to the Director that the emission control systems on that engine
are equally or more effective in controlling emissions as those systems originally
manufactured on the vehicle before a Certification of Compliance is issued.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Skyetone said:
10.3.5 If a 1984 and newer vehicle has an engine other than the original, the vehicle
owner must demonstrate to the Director that the emission control systems on that engine
are equally or more effective in controlling emissions as those systems originally
manufactured on the vehicle before a Certification of Compliance is issued.
The important part. ;)

Like Cory said, make sure it looks clean and professional. Then ask for forgiveness. :D

SammiGrrl

big, blue, & beautiful
I didn't do an engine swap. I just learned my lesson from going to a certain inspection guy who was a complete jerk. Rather than tell me how I can make my vehicle pass, he'd rather lecture me on how bad it is for the environment and was a consdescending prick. :rolleyes: this was a long time ago, though, and I take mine to a different place now.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
SammiGrrl said:
I didn't do an engine swap. I just learned my lesson from going to a certain inspection guy who was a complete jerk. Rather than tell me how I can make my vehicle pass, he'd rather lecture me on how bad it is for the environment and was a consdescending prick. :rolleyes: this was a long time ago, though, and I take mine to a different place now.
Unfortunately there are a lot of guys like that out there. It's too bad, because we could all have more power and less emissions if only by installing certain engines.

Hickey said:
The important part. ;)
Quote: Originally Posted by Skyetone

10.3.5 If a 1984 and newer vehicle has an engine other than the original, the vehicle owner must demonstrate to the Director that the emission control systems on that engine are equally or more effective in controlling emissions as those systems originally manufactured on the vehicle before a Certification of Compliance is issued.

The important part.

Like Cory said, make sure it looks clean and professional. Then ask for forgiveness. :D

Yup. After we did the lift law, I thought about taking on the engine swap/emissions stuff...and didn't get a lot of traction, mainly because there are so many ways around it. Do it clean, take it to a buddy, etc.

We put a '91 454 in an '87 pickup, and the only beef they had was that it needed to have an air pump or egr or some garbage since the '87 came with it, never mind the fact that it was bigger and was never offered in a 3/4 4x4. Puttin' an '89 454 in my '81, we'll see how it goes.

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
Or.................

I have an Idaho county, Idaho address (they don't even have zoning laws, let alone emissions laws), y'all could just register your not quite so UT legal bad a@# rides through Kooskia, Idaho

Just a thought, and I have a buzz, so take it at face value :confused:

S

sukaB

breederwheeler said:
Or.................

I have an Idaho county, Idaho address (they don't even have zoning laws, let alone emissions laws), y'all could just register your not quite so UT legal bad a@# rides through Kooskia, Idaho

Just a thought, and I have a buzz, so take it at face value :confused:

Buzz is cool, and we hear you,HUGE IDAHO BUT :sick: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Even if that worked! THE PLATE!
Come awn!

SPUD!

I mean don't get me wrong I would run that before I ever ran a CANUCK plate ,,,,,,but sheeettttt!

That's taxin a brutha's game YO........
I mean:
Olly Kruzez'ss state street in his BUCKET junk/no exhaust- does that mean I should steal his game hen's.....I got's respect....

bigchev79

put your motor in and dont worrey about it to much. weber county might be a little stingey because they think they have a big bad porgram but they dont, insted they have a joke! on the other hand slc county will let you do it if your have all the emisson stuf that came with the car thats getting the motor and your numbers half to pass 4 that car.but im not shure in weber county
the only problem i can see is if your car is 96 or newer it wont pass the obdII test that weber county gives