doetsch tech coilovers?!?

BRBx4

These coilovers seem to be the best priced, an I am curious why they are cheaper. Do you guys have any good/bad experience running them? I heard of a few guys that were blowing out the seals often, is this a problem? I was thinking of putting them on my rig, that drives to the trail(weighs around 3500lbs). I know you rocklogic4x4 guys run them on your buggy, it would be great if you could give me some opinions. thanx
greg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
We've got 'em on the buggy, but haven't been able to put many miles on them yet. (stupid broken tranny)

I've read threads elsewhere where people are bagging on them, saying the shafts bend and seals blow. I take most of those with a grain of salt, since the seals are basically the same as any other you'd find, including those in hydraulic rams and other brands of coilovers. A typical "rebuild" of ANY shock of this type includes new seals, since it's a "wear" part.

Shafts bending I can't really see happening unless there are side loads on them somehow---and that means binding, or impact. The Doetsch have a 3/4" diameter shaft, compared with 7/8" on a SAW, but I still can't see them folding due to the column load alone.

Trust me though, I'll post up if I ever do have any problems with 'em. :)

As to why they're cheaper....I can't answer that for sure. Part of it is probably how they work their marketing--they don't build the shock until it's ordered and paid for. They don't have to produce them in advance and sit on inventory. That's good for cost, but bad for availability--where you (and I) can buy a SAW shock off-the-shelf and have it within a couple of days, it'll take some time to get the Doetsch ones.

BRBx4

thanks for the reply. i didnt think that the shafts could bend unless binding was introduced by sode loads or sumthin. how long on average does it take to get the units after ordered?? thanks-greg

Caleb

I'm gonna go with the doestch(sp?) coilovers when the $$$ permits...somethings to consider...are you running the baja 500??? do you ever go high speeds for a long period of time? for the stuff the rockcrawlers do (IMO) all coilovers are created equal for our needs...like Carl pointed out, sure the SAW have a 7/8" shaft and the Dtech have a 3/4" but they shouldn't have a side load unless something isnt right...I know I'm repeating a lot but its true...go with your gut and your wallet and get in touch with Rocklogic:D I know I will when the time comes:p

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by BRBx4
thanks for the reply. i didnt think that the shafts could bend unless binding was introduced by sode loads or sumthin. how long on average does it take to get the units after ordered?? thanks-greg

Average around 3 weeks or so, maybe even a bit more. We've had one set go closer to 6 weeks though. (very frustrating, but Doetsch was backed up after their holiday break)

BRBx4

Thanx for the replies. I am probably going to get these shocks, so how do I determine the valving I want?
-Greg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Get a pretty close estimate of the sprung weight. Between that and the intended use, they'll valve them appropriately when they build 'em.

2BIGTJ

RUKKASTIXX Motorsports
I have done a lot of research on them, I really like them and I ordered a set of them on Monday to put on a new buggy project I am working on so i will let you guys know what I think, for the price you cant beat them.