Dogs On Moab Trails

sloppyjoe4by

It has been a couple of years since I have been to Moab(I Know!) and I thought I remember reading something a while back about dogs now being prohibited on the trails. Can anyone shed some light on this? I understand the need to take care of your animals, but this seems a little ridiculous.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Dogs aren't allowed in National Parks, but are okay otherwise. There are supposed to be on a leash on BLM trails, though.

Toad

They are not allowed at all in the national parks. We have wanted to run elephant hill and never have because of that reason. As long as you dog is not a pain in the butt most people dont mind your dogs running around when you stop.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I have taken my dog into Arches twice without issue, they just said that the dog needs to stay in the vehicle. It was to walk up to Delicate Arch for a short while at sunset, so it was cool enough and short enough time that the dog was fine. Although on one trip we stopped at the rest area towards Fiery Furnace and took her out to go pee.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I know I will get a lot of static for this but pets are best if left at home. I remember in the old Roughwheelers club in California we stopped allowing pets on runs because of fights, biting especially children, jumping on people, doing their business in camp, constant attention required, attacking wild animals, etc. Everyone said not my dog, cat, bird etc. but you have to restrict them all if you restrict one.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I know I will get a lot of static for this but pets are best if left at home. I remember in the old Roughwheelers club in California we stopped allowing pets on runs because of fights, biting especially children, jumping on people, doing their business in camp, constant attention required, attacking wild animals, etc. Everyone said not my dog, cat, bird etc. but you have to restrict them all if you restrict one.

Static given. I do agree with part of the above, but my dog is better behaved than most people's children and only comes out of the Jeep to use the bathroom on leash. I have had her over 10 years and last thing I want is for her to get bitten by a snake of fall off a cliff.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
What do you need a dog for anyway? Now that you can take your firearms, no need for the K-9... ;)

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
Dogs ARE allowed in Arches and Canyonlands in the vehicle or on a leash. They are NOT allowed in the backcountry, i.e. anything other than a paved road.

I know I will get a lot of static for this but pets are best if left at home.

I'm with you, Jack. I love animals of all kinds, but I don't own any for a reason. Nobody minds a well-behaved dog out on the trail, but nothing is worse than a poorly-behaved or unleashed dog out doing whatever it wants whenever it wants.

I'm with you, Jack. I love animals of all kinds, but I don't own any for a reason. Nobody minds a well-behaved dog out on the trail, but nothing is worse than a poorly-behaved or unleashed dog out doing whatever it wants whenever it wants.

Ditto.

I have had five dogs and every one lived for over 15 years. They were all well behaved and well trained. However, dogs should not be on the trail. Some get in the way. Some will chase the wildlife. Some take a crap and the owner does not pick it up because they did not see it happen or do not give a damn.

rholbrook

Dogs ARE allowed in Arches and Canyonlands in the vehicle or on a leash. They are NOT allowed in the backcountry, i.e. anything other than a paved road.

Just this last weekend my BIL and SIL tried to take their dog into Arches and they turned them away.

I say that this is GOOD. Leave your dog at home. I have a dog and I would never bring it on a Jeeping trip. I don't even bring it on the boat. Most people don't pick up after them. I flyfish and have had several people bring their dogs to the river with them. I don't think one guy will bring his to the river anymore. You see, the dog accidentally :D got hooked right after it jumped into my hole I was fishing. The guy was pissed, I told him it wasn't my problem that his dog got into my fly. It was a streamer too so it was big(size 0). I am not a dog hater by any stretch of the imagination but the dog and dog owner learned a lesson that day.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Just this last weekend my BIL and SIL tried to take their dog into Arches and they turned them away.

They were turned away at the entrance booth?

From the NPS website:

"Activities with pets are very limited at Arches. Pets are not allowed on any hiking trails. Pets may accompany visitors in the campground, and at overlooks and pullouts along the paved scenic drives. Pets may be walked on roads or in parking lots, but must be leashed at all times when outside a vehicle. Pets may not be left unattended (except in a paid-for campsite in the Devils Garden campground, where they must not cause a disturbance)."

Our German Shepherd hauls all over the West with us... for some trips we leave her home (the Maze for example). Such is life.