South-East Utah Dollhouse/Powell/Moab trip, 11-5 - 11-8

FastGas

You will love this trip! I took a week do do a similar trip 2 years ago it was great.

I was hoping the weather cooperates enough to rent a small boat and do some exploring on the lake. I've only taken my Supra and jet skis to the south end of the lake and I've never been north of dangling rope. I'd love to tool around in a little skiff with an outboard.
DSC_0357_zpsyywpxjvo.jpg.html
DSC_0357_zpsyywpxjvo.jpg

Last edited:

Tonkaman

I was hoping the weather cooperates enough to rent a small boat and do some exploring on the lake. I've only taken my Supra and jet skis to the south end of the lake and I've never been north of dangling rope. I'd love to tool around in a little skiff with an outboard.
DSC_0357_zpsyywpxjvo.jpg.html
View attachment 107043

I spent the weekend exploring side canyons north of Bull Frog. It's amazing how much coastline there is! We spent about 6 hours total just exploring and hardly made a dent on the map.

Do yourself a favor and make the Lake Powell exploring a totally separate trip

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'll look at hikes.

:cool: I've hiked down from the Maze Overlook to the Harvest Scene panel before, it's quite a scramble getting down, doing some cross country to the panel and then climbing back up... I'm not sure if my knee is up for it, but I could try.

How are you guys fixed for portable waste management? I have a Luggable Loo, but it's not ideal.

I have a Luggable Loo as well.... it's OK, if you don't mind pooping in a bucket. :D

Greg

Admin
If a campsite isn't available in the Doll House proper, just across the valley on the other side is pretty nice one (don't remember the #) as it gives you views of the Doll House and has reasonably good protection from the elements.

Here's a TR from EU when I went with Randy and Dave:

http://www.expeditionutah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5275&highlight=maze

I saw that when it was posted, looked like a great trip with a good group of guys!

Dollhouse #2 is still available, I'm not familiar with the Dollhouse so we will see when we get there!

DAA

I've camped at the Dollhouse a bunch of times. And I think I've camped at every site in the Land of Standing Rocks now. Favorite is Dollhouse #1, that is one of my favorite campsites anywhere, ever. But #2 is cool too. #3 is quite different, views are much better, but it's totally exposed, which depending on the wind and weather may or may not make any difference. Weather was pretty good when we stayed there.

My buddy Steve has a campfire in a can. The Dollhouse is the perfect place for something like that. This is at #1.

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-261W.jpg

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-262W.jpg

This is Dollhouse #2, it was beyond super windy that trip, I mean, CRAZY wind! Notice the rocks holding my sleeping bag down.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-841-W.jpg

Here are a couple from #3.

20160527_The%20Maze_Camping-113W.jpg

20160527_The%20Maze_Camping-165W.jpg

20160527_The%20Maze_Camping-194W.jpg

The Maze Overlook is an AMAZING place to camp too! I've stayed in both sites there a few times, not much difference between them in my opinion. Both are totally exposed, watch your camp chairs when the wind comes up - it's long walk to go get them if they blow over the edge!

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-593-EditW.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-527-EditW.jpg

In recent years, trips to the Maze for me have been all about the hiking. There is only one named trail left in The Maze I haven't hiked now. Some I've done numerous times. Last trip with Marty and Randy we did The Chocolate Drops trail for the first time and it was definitely one of my favorites. You walk from the Land of Standing rocks to the "Chocolate Bars" (what the old timers all called them, before the map maker renamed them "drops"). The formations you see from the Maze Overlook. Just an amazing hike, loved it! Few pics from that walk.

20160527_The%20Maze_Camping-272W.jpg

20160527_The%20Maze_Camping-326W.jpg

- DAA

Greg

Admin
Thanks for the info and pics Dave, we're locked in to Dollhouse 1 and I'm looking forward to it!

I've camped at the Maze Overlook and we had a wind storm that came up around 2 AM that caused all kinds of havoc, we ended up ditching the RTT (it was trying to fold up, with us INSIDE it!) and climbed in the cab to try get some sleep... it was a brutal night.

I'm hoping this nice weather holds out for us and we have calm days, perfectly cool nights and no precip!

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
This thread is a perfect example of what I love about RME. A few guys who have never really met, just diving in together to go get some Dirt Church.

I haven't done this enough, but I've made life long friends each time I did.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
This thread is a perfect example of what I love about RME. A few guys who have never really met, just diving in together to go get some Dirt Church.

I haven't done this enough, but I've made life long friends each time I did.

Dirt Church indeed. I haven't been out nearly enough this year, I need this trip in a bad way and I'm glad FastGas posted up or I'd probably spend this weekend doing chores and moping around the house. It's going to be great.

RME is so good for this too. Nearly everyone I've met through RME trips have been solid peeps.