Don't read this if you haven't finished the last Harry Potter

mowlasley

Alright folks, I am ready to talk. This is a thread only for those who have finished the book. If you haven't read the book and read this, no complaints about spoilers!

mowlasley

Now that the warnings have been posted, I would like to discuss theories relating to the death of a certain character.

I have a theory that he is an animagus. At the funeral, there was a phoenix that came out of the coffin or something. I think that he is a phoenix and will "rise from the ashes" ala Gandolf as an even more powerful force.

Second theory is that it happened so that Harry could become even more powerful. His mother's sacrifice for him made him immune to Voldemort, so maybe this second sacrifice will make him more powerful than Voldemort.

Discuss.

iceaxe

Backroad Adventurer
mowlasley said:
I have a theory that he is an animagus. At the funeral, there was a phoenix that came out of the coffin or something. I think that he is a phoenix and will "rise from the ashes" ala Gandolf as an even more powerful force.

I wouldn't be suprised.... something to do with the order and that phoenix anyhow... It probably flew down and cried on him to reverse the spell would be my first guess. I don't recall but didn't that spell do more "damage" anyway? from the moment he "dies" the book kinda rushes to a close without so many details. It was just too easy though, would have rather had him go out in some blaze of glory style fantastic dual with all the death eaters at once or somthing

mowlasley said:
Second theory is that it happened so that Harry could become even more powerful. His mother's sacrifice for him made him immune to Voldemort, so maybe this second sacrifice will make him more powerful than Voldemort.

I doubt more powerfull, he will get lucky again or be just barely good enough unfortunantly, but I can see some interesting directions the author could take the story in from here...

other people who finished it ask me is Snape really a bad guy? I've expected so all along but if dumbledorfer survives then I might start to wonder...

Will it all go down in one last book?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I think the animagus theory is a good one, it makes the tie between Fawkes and Dumbledore make sense, too. But, just because he can turn into a phoenix, does that give him the "rise from the ashes" immortality?

I was pretty surprised the author weakened him so much that he was easily killed. I was also surprised he didn't notice the locket wasn't what he expected to find.

embabe

My own epidemic!
You know, I've discussed very similar theories regarding Dumbledore's death with a few friends and a couple people on here... but I am *hoping* that he is an undocumented animagus because the pheonix thing would fit so well into everything.

However, shoould Dumbledore truly be dead, I feel that it will only serve to fire Harry up even more so against Voldemort. Anger/rage is a very powerful force in and of itself.

However, I just can't imagine Harry being able to get through a battle with Voldemort without having completed his 7th year at Hogwarts with an even more amazing Defense against the Dark Arts professor. Do you think he's really not going back? Do you think they're going to close it?

As for Snape.... he makes an awesome bad guy, because I just love to despise him. But I feel its kinda up in the air. I'm leaning more towards the possibility that he's a good guy but they had to set it up to look like he was bad and killed Dumbledore so that Dumbledore could go into hiding and Snape could appear to be a Death Eater through and through. I mean, think about it.... (are you thinking? ;)) Snape sould have taken Harry captive and taken him with them to Voldemort so Voldemort could get rid of him then and there, but he didn't... he left Harry and instructed the others to leave him alone. Besides, we still don't know the reason why Dumbledore trusted him implicitly in the first place. I'm thinking there's more to the story, but I'm re-reading everything (from book 4 on) to be sure I didn't miss anything...

mowlasley

embabe said:
However, shoould Dumbledore truly be dead, I feel that it will only serve to fire Harry up even more so against Voldemort. Anger/rage is a very powerful force in and of itself.

Can you really get him more fired up than having killed both his parents and Sirius? If he gets angry, he just turns into Anakin Skywalker, and no one wants that. I think J.K. Rowlings is smarter than that.

embabe said:
Do you think they're going to close it?

No, I don't.

embabe said:
As for Snape.... he makes an awesome bad guy, because I just love to despise him. But I feel its kinda up in the air.

Too easy. If I were the author, it would be a trick.

embabe said:
I'm leaning more towards the possibility that he's a good guy but they had to set it up to look like he was bad and killed Dumbledore so that Dumbledore could go into hiding and Snape could appear to be a Death Eater through and through. I mean, think about it.... (are you thinking? ;)) Snape sould have taken Harry captive and taken him with them to Voldemort so Voldemort could get rid of him then and there, but he didn't... he left Harry and instructed the others to leave him alone. Besides, we still don't know the reason why Dumbledore trusted him implicitly in the first place. I'm thinking there's more to the story, but I'm re-reading everything (from book 4 on) to be sure I didn't miss anything...

I agree.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Hickey said:
Maybe Harry himself is a horcrux? Someone needs to die when a horcrux is created, right?

oooOOOooo....could have been created when one/both of his parents were killed. That would explain the "visions" into Voldemort's mind in earlier chapters, too. It would also mean that Harry would have to die to kill Voldemort. This is gonna get confusing... :confused:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I Lean said:
oooOOOooo....could have been created when one/both of his parents were killed. That would explain the "visions" into Voldemort's mind in earlier chapters, too. It would also mean that Harry would have to die to kill Voldemort. This is gonna get confusing... :confused:
That's exactly what I was thinking... :eek:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
rckcrlr said:
You guys know how Cody feels about video games....well thats how I feel about HP. :rolleyes:

Haven't read the books, have ya? Didn't think so. It's not really a kid's book, like it's reputation says it is.

We're still nerds, granted.....

embabe

My own epidemic!
Ah... see... the whole Harry being a Horcrux thing.... I've given it some thought, and there's an argument for both sides. But, Dumbledore mentioned that it was dangerous to have a horcrux be a living person/animal because they can think for themselves and you just plain don't know what would happen. Plus, do you think Voldemort's soul could live in Harry's body, what with him being able to love and all? On the other hand, it would truly be the ultimate act of love for Harry to sacrifice his own life to spare the lives of so many others, and Dumbledore did really stress the power of love up to this point. I just wish I knew what JK Rowling was setting us up for... :-\

ace

Parts Collector
I Lean said:

Oh, Maybe after harry destroys the six other horcruxes, he will master the 7th part of Voldemort's soul and become the new, more powerful, dark lord. :D :eek:

DrMoab

I finished the book tonight....And not to take it off on a different tangent but I was thinking.....Rawlins doesn't seem to be afraid to kill off main people in her stories..

I was just driving and thinking to myself..."Wonder how people would take it if in the 7th book..Harry dies at Voldemort's hands and evil prevails?"

Food for thought...I wouldn't put it past her to do something like that....Although the outrage would be so much that she could never write another book.

mowlasley

After reading the replies to this thread, I decided to go back and re-read the ending and try to glean out any little clues or subtleties that I could, specifically on the subject of Snape.

I believe that Snape is still a good guy. If Dumbledore really is a phoenix and Snape knew that (he is a good leglumens, you know), Dumbledore's begging could have been begging him to kill him, knowing that he would be reborn.

In addition, Snape's unbreakable vow to protect Malfoy was fulfilled in him not letting Malfoy kill Dumbledore. How better to protect him than not to let him become inextricably linked to Voldemort by killing in his service?

As for Harry being a horcrux, makes sense, but holy crap would that lead to complications.

embabe

My own epidemic!
Just a thought on Harry being a Horcrux... Wasn't the point that Harry would destroy the 6 Horcrux's so that when he met up with Voldemort it would really kill him? So, if he were a Horcrux, he'd have to be already dead by the time he had his final showdown with Voldemort... I'm going with the opinion that he probably isn't and there is some other object, maybe something of his parents, that is.