Don't read this if you haven't finished the last Harry Potter

ace

Parts Collector
Harry is not a horcrux. Voldy has tried to kill him several times, and he wouldn't try to destroy part of himself.

Notice that Snape was coaching harry as he was fending off his jinxes.

I tend to agree with this post from another forum

Yeah, the thing about Snape though, the way he was with Harry when he chased after him is the only thing that keeps me from thinking hes still good. "but Snape blocked the spell again. Harry could see him sneering" page 602

"Blocked again and again and again until you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter" page 603.

http://www.hpana.com/forums/

mowlasley

ace said:
Harry is not a horcrux. Voldy has tried to kill him several times, and he wouldn't try to destroy part of himself.

Why not? Creating a horcrux destroys a part of you anyway. Besides, evil, especially in children's books, does not have to make sense.

Thanks for the comments about Snape. I didn't read it that way the first time, but it makes sense.

ace

Parts Collector
Stop the presses!!!!

I was listening to the audio book and this paragraph struck me. I just figured something out I think. page 55.

"The magic I evoked fifteen years ago means that Harry has powerful protection while he can still call this house "home" However miserable he has been here, however unwelcome, however badly treated, you have at least, grudgingly, allowed him houseroom. This magic will cease to operate hte moment that Harry turns seventeen: in other words, at the moment he becomes a man. I ask only this: that you allow Harry to return, once more, to this house, before his 17th birthday, which will ensure that the protection continues until that time."

It seems that Dumbledore's goal was to bring a wholesome, healthy Harry Potter to manhood in the face of incredible odds.

My theory is that the spell that Dumbledore cast was sealed with his life, as the protection spell that saved Harry from the Avarda Cadabre spell was bolstered by his mother's sacrifice. Perhaps in an act of contrition for exposing James and Lilly to Voldemorts wrath, Snape had made an unbreakable spell to Kill Dumbledore at the proper time. It would take someone with a dark background, someone bearing the dark mark, in order to cast an unforgivable spell, and Snape had to seal Dumbledore's sacrifice. This would explain the anger Snape showed when he killed dumbledore as hatred is nescesary to cast the death spell. I gotta think Snape is still on the right side, but had to perform a dark act to the benefit at all.

crazyislander

I am for the argument that Snape is still a good guy. I dont buy the excuse that Snape uses to keep Harry alive by telling the other Death Eaters that Voldemort wants Harry for himself. Granted, Snape doesn't like Harry, nor does he care about the death of Harry's parents. Snape could probably kill Harry without batting an eye. But I think what prevents Snape from doing so is Snape’s as of yet unknown part of Dumbledore’s schemes. Even though Snape killed Dumbledore, could that be part of the plan? Is it possible that Snape and Dumbledore have a scheme of there own? Could this be an attempt for Snape (member of the phoenix order and a former/current death eater) to get in good with Voldemort and get him to reveal some of his horcruxes? The advantage that Snape has over the other wizards is his mastery of occlumency, which will prevent Voldemort from learning anything about any of Snape’s schemes. Snape got rid of the biggest thorn in Voldemort’s side, that will definitely earn him some brownie points. Dumbledore’s death could make Voldemort overconfident and be more relaxed, which is the reason he was almost destroyed the last time. I’m betting this is part of the plan.

Further support for my theory would be the way that Snape kept coaching Harry while they were fleeing telling him to close his mind. I wonder if that’s Snape’s way of telling him how to beat Voldemort, but we knew that from book 5.

Alas, we are at rowling’s mercy as to what really happened. Is what happened really what happened, or an illusion to what really happened for the Death Eater’s sake and Harry’s?

But let us not forget the new player (or a well hidden known character) that was introduced. The mysterious person who destroyed the horcrux that Harry and Dumbledore spent all that energy to get. This new player already has shown his hatred of Voldemort and seems to be on track about finding and destroying the horcruxes. The next book will be revelations time for rowling if she wants to at least close the series up on a good note. If not, then she will be the most dislike author of all time. She might even end up back in the trailor again after getting out.

I'm out!