door-less xj

krany

kranberry
quick question, i was talking to my buddy about going door-less and he said that its illegal for xj's to do this, how true is this? i know wranglers and cjs are all legal to do this. i want to know before i have uhp riding my butt about having no doors.:rofl:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The bigger problem is the lack of rigidity without doors. Unless you have a cage in that Cherokee, it'll become even more floppy minus the doors.

jdub

Scrambler
Technically it is what the vehicle is crash tested with. I have heard that some vehicles need their doors to be compliant. The CJ's and Wranglers have pins fashioned for easy removal or even run cloth doors OEM. I also have seen many vehicles run doorless and seem to be fine but the mirror thing is a concern. Just re-locate the mirror and you can always ask a cop what he thinks.

I'm interested if anyone has been pulled over for no doors?

krany

kranberry
The bigger problem is the lack of rigidity without doors. Unless you have a cage in that Cherokee, it'll become even more floppy minus the doors.
the front doors will be the ones that come off, gotta be able to take my older brother places since he is afraid to drive without doors:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I got pulled over for no doors on my XJ. But it was during EJS and he said he just wanted to make sure I had my seat belt on.
did he say anything about no doors?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin

I'll argue against this a little bit. It will certainly be less rigid in an impact but I don't think that overall the doors play much of a role in the rigidity of the uni-body beyond that.

The hinges are certainly not attached in a manner that would increase static rigidness... but used as a crush zone it would be very beneficial just by looking at the way the doors would interlock with the chassis.

That said, best thing you can do to a cherokee is put in an internal cage. Takes the slop right out no matter the situation. :D

edit- this also gives me a good reason to be nostalgic & post an oldschool photo. :D
ldm_010.jpg

spanky

if it comes from the factory with the option of removing the doors, then yes its legal to run doorless.

unless i interpreted that law wrong. also i thought it has nothing to do with the lip in the bottom of the pan or floor.

if i wasnt lazy id just look it up for ya.
also, if i wasnt lazy id post the link where you could look it up.

oh well, good luck

4 SALE

I ran no doors on my old toyota pickup for a summer and just a lap belt and never got hassled, and I lived in South Jordan and those cops look for anything on 4x4's to pull you over. Especially when your a young dumb teenager without a muffler. I just fashioned up a checker special mirror on my door hinge.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
This is a good thread i was thinking of going door less to moab in my 4runner, i should proably look up the laws though to make sure since there seems to be condraverse on the subject i would advise the same to anyone else wanting to go doorless

Badger

I am the Brute squad
I have never liked the idea of a Cherokee doorless. I used to run a set of half doors that I made from a junk yard set. Gave me the freedom to look out and see the placement of tires better while still giving me the feeling of being contained. This also gives you less chances of being harassed, gives you a place to still mount a mirror, and you still get an arm rest.

P73005_29.sized.jpg

P73005_32.sized.jpg

HlfDoor17.sized.jpg

krany

kranberry
I have never liked the idea of a Cherokee doorless. I used to run a set of half doors that I made from a junk yard set. Gave me the freedom to look out and see the placement of tires better while still giving me the feeling of being contained. This also gives you less chances of being harassed, gives you a place to still mount a mirror, and you still get an arm rest.

P73005_29.sized.jpg

P73005_32.sized.jpg

HlfDoor17.sized.jpg
how did you make those? i have a set of front doors that i can do that with.

krany

kranberry
I'll argue against this a little bit. It will certainly be less rigid in an impact but I don't think that overall the doors play much of a role in the rigidity of the uni-body beyond that.

The hinges are certainly not attached in a manner that would increase static rigidness... but used as a crush zone it would be very beneficial just by looking at the way the doors would interlock with the chassis.

That said, best thing you can do to a cherokee is put in an internal cage. Takes the slop right out no matter the situation. :D

edit- this also gives me a good reason to be nostalgic & post an oldschool photo. :D
ldm_010.jpg
i agree, i dont think it will effect it much unless your in impact.