Double towing, need tech, and/or where to go?

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
I have a camper trailer that is 20' long (From ball tounge to rear), and a quad trailer that is about 12' long (Also from ball tounge to rear).

What I want to do is tow both at the same time. The rear bumper of the camper is tied into the frame and with some fabrication I can probably get a hitch integrated. Then hook up the quad trailer to the camper.
The camper has trailer brakes, the quad trailer doesnt.
I know I would have to wire a trailer light plug from the truck to the back of the camper, that part is easy. Its everything else that is making me wonder:

Is this method plausable?
Is it legal?
Where can I go for more info (Locally, SLC)
Have any of you done this?

I have a 6.0 so towing that combined weight wont be a problem.
Any info will be appreciated, Thank you in advance,
Jer

1993yj

You can tow double without a gooseneck, the law in Utah is for total length, something like 65' total. I cant remember the exact length, but you can call either the UHP or UDOT and they could probably tell you. I frequently tow a 20' boat (trailer is around 24' total) with two waverunners behind (waverunner trailer is around 14' total) with a 3/4 Chevy 350, ext cab long bed with a camper on it, so I am sure that you will have enough power. And as for length, I know that I am under the length limit. I have also done a 24' camping trailer with a 4wheeler trailer behind it. Always tows smoothly and straight. It is easier to do this than tow something behind a jeep on a trailer since the weight is already right (centered) with a boat or camping trailer.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
1993yj said:
You can tow double without a gooseneck, the law in Utah is for total length, something like 65' total. I cant remember the exact length, but you can call either the UHP or UDOT and they could probably tell you. I frequently tow a 20' boat (trailer is around 24' total) with two waverunners behind (waverunner trailer is around 14' total) with a 3/4 Chevy 350, ext cab long bed with a camper on it, so I am sure that you will have enough power. And as for length, I know that I am under the length limit. I have also done a 24' camping trailer with a 4wheeler trailer behind it. Always tows smoothly and straight. It is easier to do this than tow something behind a jeep on a trailer since the weight is already right (centered) with a boat or camping trailer.
I stand corrected :)

kasprzak

my father in law pulls a 30' tag travel trailer and a 6x10 atv trailer when they go out hunting, no problems pulling with a v10 crew cab ford, just don't pull into anything you need to back out of, gets a little interesting.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
The over all length can't be over 65' thats front bumper of the truck to the rear bumper of the last trailer. If it's over that you can get a permit to go over 65'.

You need lights on all trailers, also registration on all trailer.

You will probably never run into this or get stopped and checked, but your truck has to be registered for enough weight to carry/pull whatever you have. Utah automaticly gives you 12,000 lbs.

TimB

Homesick
Don't cross Kansas - I know for a fact it's not legal there unless the first trailer is a 5th wheel. I got stopped for flat towing a jeep with a trail trailer behind it. Total towed weight was only about 5000 lbs if that, and it was pretty short. Managed to convince him not to ticket me but it was close.
I don't know what other states that is the case in - might be worth researching though.

kirk86CJ

If it were me, I would put brakes on the second trailer. I would worry about your 1st trailer being heavy enough in relation to the 2nd one.

I have towed my jeep on a trailer behind a 26 ft 5th wheel. It worked, but it adds a lot of stress to driving. I would assume you will have tounge weight issues on the front trailer.

I also added a second brake controller that when using the "panic button" it only applies the brakes on the second trailer. If it ever moved at all, I just slid the button, and it stopped.

My first controller, operated the brakes on both trailer normally.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
TimB said:
Don't cross Kansas - I know for a fact it's not legal there unless the first trailer is a 5th wheel. I got stopped for flat towing a jeep with a trail trailer behind it. Total towed weight was only about 5000 lbs if that, and it was pretty short. Managed to convince him not to ticket me but it was close.
I don't know what other states that is the case in - might be worth researching though.

I know AZ says your front trailer has to be a 5th wheel.

1993yj

I drive my boat and waverunners to Page AZ every year. An "off the record" statement from one of the HP there said that basically he would only pull us over if we looked unsafe. I am sure that it would all depend on the officer. However, that is barely across the state line as well.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Be carefull doing this, a couple of summers ago I saw one of these tandem trailer rigs that lost it going down Parleys. He must have started going too fast and tried to stop or the boat on back must have started to fishtail uncontrollably. The result was that the rig came to rest with the boat smashed into the back of the 5th wheel trailer, the new 5th wheel trailer's front half ripped off, and the sides of the his Dodge Ram's back bed splayed out sideways and the frame bent. Everything but the boat looked like it was brand new and totalled. The idea of a second trailer brake controller is a good idea since it can be used to stop the rear trailer if it starts to fishtail. I have used the trailer brakes on my junk hauling trailer to stop it from wobbleing going down Parleys when I had it loaded a bit too top heavy and tried to slow it down with the trucks brakes.

JackKeslerCustoms

I pulled my Jeep on it's trailer, with an 18' boat behind it last August to Bullfrog, then a few days later over to Moab, and then proceeded to get so sick in Moab that my buddy who lives in Chicago, and drives a Boxter for a daily driver, never even ridden in a truck, or pulled a trailer, drive us all the way home to Riverton while I was curled up in a fetal position wanting to die. I gave him a 5 minute lesson on how to take turns wide, and don't try to back up, and don't go any faster than 55 mph, and he made it just fine. Every accident I have heard of pulling doubles, and one of my other buddies flipped both of his, was a result of speed. And I have excellent brakes on the Jeep's trailer, so if it ever did feel unstable for any reason all you had to di was gently touch the brake and it straightened right up.

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
The 6.0 is the Ford Super Duty Diesel engine.

As far as length, hmmmm, I have the 4 door truck, short bed, plus 20' camper trailer plus 12 foot quad trailer...........I will have to go measure the truck tomorrow and see what my overall length is.

If this works, then I will need to find a place to fabricate the rear bumper for me. I will cros that bridge when i come to it though. Thank you for the input everyone