Doubler Wont Turn!?

dzeyer

I'm not familiar with the NP 205/203 doubler set-up, but the problem I'm having is the front range box is not allowing the outputs to move. in NEUTRAL it lets the outputs move freely like they should, but HI and LOW range locks em down completely no turn whatsoever. The rear box works fine. I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing. I bought the double used and already put together, but it was in a working rig that I've seen run. I haven't taken apart the cases. Just seeing if it is something simple that I'm overlooking before I drop the cases out to take em apart...

Thanks a ton for your help.
-Aaron

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
it's ruined and you need to bring it to me immediately for disposal.

No? :D Well. Then it sounds like either a. you can't manhandle the 843 gears in a doubler by han--- wait, is this installed? Or are you bench-testing this? I suppose that will make some difference. :D Or B. something is wrong with the dentents. Twin-sticked???

dzeyer

HA! I think I'll fiddle around with it a bit more before I turn it over to ya!

It's installed behind a TH400 and 4.3l, the engine/transmission bogs down like it's trying to turn something when put into gear, but nothing turns. I've also taken the drive shaft off and used a cheater bar to try and turn it manually, but it will not budge. It's tripple sticked (3rd stick- front wheel- isn't functional) and the 4WD works fine, the rear box HI N LO does it's job, it's just that front box completely locks up if it's in HI or LO. The shifter feels like it's completely in HI or LO, not stuck half way and shifts very smoothly.

Caleb

HA! I think I'll fiddle around with it a bit more before I turn it over to ya!

It's installed behind a TH400 and 4.3l, the engine/transmission bogs down like it's trying to turn something when put into gear, but nothing turns. I've also taken the drive shaft off and used a cheater bar to try and turn it manually, but it will not budge. It's tripple sticked (3rd stick- front wheel- isn't functional) and the 4WD works fine, the rear box HI N LO does it's job, it's just that front box completely locks up if it's in HI or LO. The shifter feels like it's completely in HI or LO, not stuck half way and shifts very smoothly.
Wait a minute, which box is in front? This description makes it sound like your 205 is in front???

Have you opened the inspection covers? If not, open them up and see if you find any shavings...if not then start pulling the two cases a part, it shouldn't be anything too serious if there aren't shaving/chunks in there. There's not much that can be hurt in those cases. Those cases are also pretty simple.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Sounds like the 203 is in front to me.. ???? but I"m sunburnt and tired :rofl:

the rear box HI N LO does it's job, it's just that front box completely locks up if it's in HI or LO

You say that the 3rd stick doesn't work?? That sounds like a good case for detent issues. But then, that really has nothing to do with the 203 range box. Hmm.

I'm with Supergper, easy enough to drain 'em and check the inspection ports. And then I'd pull the 205 off and see what's going on w/the 203.

dzeyer

Yeah it's a 203 front. I dropped it out and started taking off the tranny adapter, and one of the bolts was a bit too long and wasn't allowing the front gear to turn, so just replaced with a shorter bolt...and fixed. It's all back in and working fine. It's one of those "annoying it happened, but glad it was something simple" situations. Thanks a ton for the help guys.