drafty windows

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
So I am looking to see if there is anyway to seal up my windows any better.

My home was built in 2005 so it isn't that old, but the windows seem drafty as a mofo. With the blinds down over them I can still feel cold air from them. I know they have to let a lot of air in since the tracking has a bunch of dirt in it. I clean it but the dirt comes back pretty quick. So if the dirt can make it in I know the air can too!

I'm sure they are just the cheap ass builder grade stuff, but short of total window replacement or that ghetto plastic film stuff, what can I do?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Try caulking around them, especially under the windowsill--at least seal the parts you can control. It may be leaking a lot of air around/under the window.

Other than that, total window replacement or that ghetto plastic film stuff..... :(

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
When you caulk it just make sure not to cover the weep holes at the bottom exterior of the window frame, this will cause moisture to build up beneath the glass unit's and excelerate seal failure causing foggy windows.

Remove a vent section (the one that slides) by opening the window most of the way and lifting it up in the frame, once it's removed inspect the exterior side of the vent and see if the mull hair seal is worn, a lot of manufacturers will skimp on this part of the window and only put one layer, 2 layers makes the window a little rougher to open but seals it up great.

Also if your windows are non low-E Half inch units you'll still get some convection causing a draft. The only company localy that makes a vinyl window with that unit thickness is linford.

The dirt is a problem common on vinyl windows, it's mostly from water running down the exterior of the glass and into the window. the weepholes may have been obstructed by any number of things, including smaller breeds of hornets. Next time you clean out the dirt try lubricating the track with a silicone spray lube. Also you can completely remove that bottom track and clean underneath it MOST of the time. only on the cheapest of windows is the track non removable.

Hope this helps at least a little.

If you need anymore help shoot me a message, I'm a Journeyman Glazier.

Last edited:

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
Thanks for the tips guys!

RWH, my windows are Linford, I couldn't remember the name yesterday. I was thinking Lindon, but that is a city.LOL

Anyway I think mine only have one layer of the mull hair, is that something I can buy at one of the home improvement stores?

I'll try pulling the track out to clean it. I had no idea they could come out!

I did caulk the he!! out of them when new, not covering the vent holes. However, maybe I missed something I should have caulked? We did our own painting and the builder said caulking as well as final site cleanup for the whole construction process was part of the painter's job(I think it was a line, but that is another story).

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
Unfortunately the mull hair is only replaceable when replacing the entire vent frame, the vinyl welds on the corners keep it from coming out and being replaced. Some thin foam weather striping should do the trick attached to the three sides of contact when closed. It will make the windows harder to open and close but should seal up any leaks. It's more common for it to leak around the vent than anything. Unfortunately all this won't solve the possible problem of having thin units that a lot of cold can travel through, but it should help.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
make sure your removable track stip in the bottom is completely snapped in in the bottom. its possible to have it partially snapped in which positions the vent so as to not seal properly in the extrusion. take a wood block and mallet and tap it in all the way accross. you might get out your air hose and blow compressed air around the exterior while watching the dust blow in on the Interior to see where the problem is. Oh and Linford is going into the big BK.. now you know why.

Last edited: