Drawer / Fridge slide

ckkone

Well I was at NPS today for no reason and walked out with some 200lb and 100lb drawer slides for $4 a pair. I have a 100 series landcruiser and I use one of the back jump seats fairly often, so I'm planing on building a half drawer / fridge slide contraption. It will be a drawer within a drawer and hopefully turn out something like this:

IMG_3191%20(Large).jpg

I was also thinking of making a lid for the smaller drawer with a piano hinge on the end and some collapsible legs which would fold out to create more work space. Similar to how the top of the Drifta kitchen opens into a table:

DCB31.jpg

Anyway this will be my brainstorming/build thread, I going to get some wood and what not this weekend (maybe)...

Last edited:

DAA

I've been thinking of doing something kind of similar. At first I was thinking a fridge slide with a second slide under it with a stove mounted in it. But now I'm thinking probably just a simple table/shelf deal that slides out from under the fridge that I can put my stove on if I want to, or use for anything else a small table next to the fridge might be useful for.

But, I'm thinking 200 lb slides for the fridge, for mine and the way I use stuff anyway, would be pretty marginal. If I build one, I'm going to use either 400 lb or even 500 lb slides for the fridge. 200 lb, maybe even 100 lb should be good for the table part though.

- DAA

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I look forward to your drawer builds. I have been thinking a lot about a large drawer in the rear of my YJ. Something for carrying parts, tools, straps, and other small things. I know Tuffy sells them, but they also want real money for them.

ckkone

A year and half later and I finally started my drawer yesterday, below is the progess I made. I still need to add handles, fridge tie downs and tan speaker box carpet. I used a Kerg jig, screws and wood glue to assemble it, right now I'm into it about $80.

image_zpsa2e9b75a.jpg

image_zps85fb4381.jpg

image_zps89d14ced.jpg

image_zps209f7850.jpg

image_zpsb13c2f0f.jpg

image_zps5f4812ed.jpg

ckkone

Made some more progress -

Glued on black automotive carpet from Wal-Mart, added more support on the back of the tray and added an old kitchen cabinet handle I had laying around. I also stopped by Cruiser Outfitters and picked up an ARB fridge tie down kit that needs to be installed. Other than that just need some type of latch for the drawer, will stop by Home Depot tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

photo_zps5a1e90e2.jpg

image_zps38f3fffd.jpeg

image1_zpsdcd6b8f1.jpg

ckkone

Go check it out:

The NPS Store - Industrial
1601 South Empire Road
Salt Lake City, UT 84104

It's a store that sells everything that fell off the back of a truck, when I was there they had two large containers of slides and they were $4 a pair. They are also a good source for d-ring shackles, I picked up two 3/4" for a few bucks.

Last edited:

blznnp

nice, I might have to head up there tomorrow, I was looking at some slides but they were a good amount more than that. Was wondering where a surplus store was, we had a Boeing surplus in WA but then they shut it down, all types of stuff there.