Drilled/Slotted rotor questions

BURB-STYLE

WhiTe tRash whEEling
Do these help you stop any better and are they worth doing? Another question has anybody ever drilled there own up to save dollars. What size bit and what kind of pattern would be the best? will drilling some ~5/32" holes weaken the metal in any way. Any ideas?? TIA

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
BURB-STYLE said:
Do these help you stop any better and are they worth doing? Another question has anybody ever drilled there own up to save dollars. What size bit and what kind of pattern would be the best? will drilling some ~5/32" holes weaken the metal in any way. Any ideas?? TIA

I have Stillen cross-drilled rotors on my Jeep and they stop quite a bit better than stock. The pads make the biggest difference IMO, but you have a have a good rotor that's going to hold up to a more abrasive pad. I matched the Stillens with Performance Friction ceramic pads and I can lock the 35s up in a hard stop, something I could never do before. Cross drilling your own sounds like a step towards a Darwin award however. Cross-drilled rotors are drilled, then tempered to maintain the structural integrity of the metal (High-end rotors, such as Porsche OEM, are cross-cast, not cross-drilled BTW). A self-drilled rotor will likely crack or shatter upon hard braking. BAD IDEA.