Drive shaft identifying marks

Tallz

A year ago I bought a front Dana44 from a guy who had rebuilt the internals with aftermarket goodies. He threw in two drive shafts that he said were after market but he didn't know from where. So far everything else he told me about the axles was correct (except the fact the ring and pinion were ground up), but my question is, if they are from an aftermarket DS fabricator like Tom woods will the DS have any identifying marks on them? I guess I want to find out if they are from a reputable shop, should I just extend/shorten or if they are not high end should I just replace them. Note: the rear DS is a double cardigan cv style.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
"double cardan". Driveshafts don't even need one sweater, let alone two. :D

Take a look at them. Driveshafts aren't super complex devices-- either they're quality or they aren't. Run over to Six States, talk to Eric, see if they are balanced, and I'm sure he could tell you more about them anyway as far as origin... There's no reason to replace a decent shaft, OEM or not, unless it's got some flaw, or you want a thicker wall. FWIW, most shops I'm aware of use stickers. High Angle uses a lot of Spicer yokes, but then, so do the OEM's.

Tallz

Whoops, I guess the spell checker took over on that one! Damn ipad! Cardan not cardigan. Thanks Tacoma. I have been to six states before to get ball joints pressed. I got a price to lengthen/shorten the DS from them but the price was close to complete new lines. I think only $50 difference. I guess saving $50 is saving!

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
What are you worried about, most shops use the OEM/Spicer double cardan section even if they are using thicker tubing on the rest of the drive shaft. Unless it is bent or out of balance just use it, grab a tape measure to check the compressed and extended length to see if it needs to be altered. Most of us on here are using modified stock drive shafts without any issues, and I have one of the heaviest pigs on the forum.