driveline ?'s

crapmanche4l

...no more! Call me Murphey
What problems can happen if the diff is offset from the t-case output? meaning the diff yoke is about 2"-2.5"more toward the center of the vehicle than the t-case. Will this work fine? issues? things to plan on , factor in with pinion angle?

Thanks for any help and input

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
What problems can happen if the diff is offset from the t-case output? meaning the diff yoke is about 2"-2.5"more toward the center of the vehicle than the t-case. Will this work fine? issues? things to plan on , factor in with pinion angle?

Thanks for any help and input

A lot of folks run compound driveline angles in our hobby.
2 - 2." seems pretty negligible.

I would ensure that the driveline isn't going to hit the trans (especially in an auto) as the suspension moves.

Chevycrew

The full size jeeps came that way for a number of years, even had an angled fuel tank that followed the driveline.

Its nothing to worry about.

crapmanche4l

...no more! Call me Murphey
A lot of folks run compound driveline angles in our hobby.
2 - 2." seems pretty negligible.

I would ensure that the driveline isn't going to hit the trans (especially in an auto) as the suspension moves.

yeah Ive cycled it and im clear of the motor and trans, I'll have to move the exhaust a bit but thats no big deal. Its the front too so its not used on road at high speeds. Just want to make sure there wasnt going to be any binding or wierd things going on

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
yeah Ive cycled it and im clear of the motor and trans, I'll have to move the exhaust a bit but thats no big deal. Its the front too so its not used on road at high speeds. Just want to make sure there wasnt going to be any binding or wierd things going on

Sounds good. I'd run it. :D

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
CV joint or non-CV? If it's a non-CV, and the total angle is the same at the diff and the t-case output, I don't think the driveshaft will know it's at an angle. If the angles match and the shaft is balanced, I think you're good, at whatever speed. I think you'll get vibes if you use a CV shaft though.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I had a wrangler and after lifting it 4 inches I dropped the transfer case down with some spacers to help with the vibes.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
im new at the whole 4x4 thing, I lifted my xj 4.5 inches and now I have a Vibrating noise. Anyone know how to get rid of the noise without spending lots of money?

Assuming your vibrations are coming from your rear drive shaft, you'd need to shim your axle to adjust the angle of the pinion to match the angle of the transfer case output.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Have you done a SYE on there rear, that is one of the most common reasons for rear vibration.

Pardon my ignorance, but how does a slip yoke in itself cause vibrations?

If you put on a slip yoke eliminator, and don't address the unequal angles, the vibration will not change.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Maybe I missed something in the discussion, kinda out of it. But a Slip Yoke Eliminator will help correct angles, and most often, you switch to a double cardon joint, so in turn, helps reduce vibration.

Not trying to sound smart, just throwing out ideas from my experiences.

When I worked at 4wheelparts, 75% of the Jeeps, (xj,tj,yj) that we lifted 4"+, had a driveline vibration, 90% off those had the problem go away after installing a SYE with new driveshaft.

Last edited:

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
the reason that a sye helps is that it gives you a few more inches in the driveline length which will lower the angles of the driveline... making your driveline flatter then before....

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
the reason that a sye helps is that it gives you a few more inches in the driveline length which will lower the angles of the driveline... making your driveline flatter then before....

....and you add a CV driveline, thus forcing you to adjust your pinion angle to match the angle of the driveline, which lowers the angles even more....