Driveshaft - Problem or Not?

Cooper

My front drive shaft looks like this when the car is just sitting.

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

as you can see the driveshaft has no play. Is this going to cause a problem?

If so can anyone recommend a shop to cut the drive shaft down to size? or does anyone wanna trade straight across for a shorter one?:p

Last edited:

Chevycrew

six states, tom woods, slyco, etc. any driveline shop should be able to correct that. Less than $100 im pretty sure.

But yeah, that can lead to a broken t-case or transmission if you hit a hard bump.

Whats the length from the center of u-joints and each end? I may have one out in the shop.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
looks like you need some lift.

More lift would actually make it worse... Short-arm Jeep suspensions make the d-shaft shorter when they are lifted.

I agree with CCrew...get it shortened at your local shop or find a shorter stock one to bolt in.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
How can this be?

Radius of the arms in relation to the pivot of the driveshaft. Short arms make a more immediate arc backward.
edit: if he did a lift that would also drop the arms or change to an adjustable longer arm system that would keep the axle located forward then you'd be good.

flexyfool

GDW
It might be OK. Probably very little slip is required in that suspension. There is usually some slip that is hidden under the grease seal. You can remove the grease seal and run the shaft without it. Also, the shaft usually bottoms out at the opposite end. It will push out the pressed-in button next to the Ujoint before hitting at the other end if the seal is removed. Again, not a big deal. It just can't hit the Ujoint.

thenag

It looks a little long.

Best thing to do is to take the coils out and raise the axle to the bump stop.

I found that on mine the front DS pretty much doesn't compress or extend through it's travel. I measured it and it was less than 3/4 difference from full compression to full droop. links are great for something like this, you can pull the springs see how much travel you get. With leafs it is hard to do that in a garage and you never really know how your axle will move.

But if it were me I would pull the shaft measure the length at ride height, take it in to get shortened.

nathan
99 xj with stuff