Driving without doors...

chans

Not legal unless the vehicle came with removable doors from the factory. I was told it was because vehicles like Jeeps have a lip so stuff can't roll out on the ground and it helps to keep your feet in unlike your Bronco where there is nothing stopping anything from rolling out. There are a bunch of companies that make removable door pins so you can romove the doors once you are at the trail. You can also make some pretty easy with some door pins at Checker.

Last edited:

ElJefe

uh. . .
I ran 2 summers without doors on my FSJ and never had a problem. Last year I made some half doors. much nicer in my opinion then just wide open.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
I've heard this discussion alot but I don't think anyone's actually found a real law.

The lip thing makes sense, but people use tube doors and that doesn't keep stuff from rolling out...

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
the vehicle is suppost to have a 3 in lip at the bottom of the door.

i used to run around with no doors, got pulled over in moab he did not say a thing about the no doors,but got pulled over in layton and he wrote me a ticket for it.

i made half doors and talked to a cop that comes into the dealership i work for he is a uhp officer and said they are legal with the mirror on them.

Robert T

Skull Designs Euros
my neighbor took his doors off his cherokee and got his registration revoked when he got nailed. they said he has to have doors on it if it came from the factory with them

BlackBII

Hmm, I guess it depends on who pulls you over.

Strange I couldn't find anything in the Utah Code, however, in the Utah Safety inspection book, it states that if the vehicles doors are not designed to come off easily from the factory, then you cannot pass safety inspection. And one would assume that to operate a vehicle on the road, it must meet those safety requirements....sounds 'illegal' to me. damn.

I wonder what the ticket would read.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
It is written in the State Safety Inspection manual, that all vehicle must have doors unless the vehicle came from the factory with removable doors. If I wasn't so lazy I would find it and post it, but oh well. I'm not running doors on my truck, I will deal with it when they say something.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
the vehicle is suppost to have a 3 in lip at the bottom of the door.

i made half doors and talked to a cop that comes into the dealership i work for he is a uhp officer and said they are legal with the mirror on them.

When I'd get my samurai to pass with no doors, they passed it because it had atleast the 3" lip below the door so items couldn't roll out.. That is exactly what was told to me. **Keep in mind, the US Samurais did not come from the factory with removable doors, but do have an easy 3" lip.

Also, as stated earlier, you are required to have the driver-side mirror atleast 4"s in diameter, and either the rear view, or passenger side mirror.<-- Ask me how I found that out:-\

It's about structural integrity and crash test certification.

Ha, doubt it. You think the UHP would allow any doors off if this were the case? Don't get me wrong, I can see your point but I doubt that is any reason behind the UHP's decision.

your logo flag sucks

X2

Robert T

Skull Designs Euros
they told my neighbor that it was for the structural integ, so meat is right on that part. my dad had to put his soft doors on his cj5 after the inspection station failed him for not having doors on, so it all depends where you take your vehicle to

Bucking Bronco

I don't know that I believe the 3" lip thing. The early ford broncos don't have any lip and not only did I drive one around without doors but I see them all the time without doors driving around.