Drop hitch info

ID Bronco

I am in the market for a 4" adjustable drop hitch. I have a few questions for you all.

1. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to running a 2" receiver with a sleeve over a 2.5" receiver?
The 2" would be more versatile for my other rigs so I am leaning toward the sleeve.
I already have the sleeve.

2. I need/want around a 10K rating, I think B&W or Anderson are the way to go but is there another brand that is quality that may be a little less cash? Is it worth the savings?

Thanks

I think no advantage of the 2.5" other than a little less slop and more capacity. B&W and Anderson are great options. I needed 14k capacity and am price sensitive, so I went for the Curt steel one. I'm pleased with the product and price, although it is heavy as sin to carry around.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I noticed one at Costco just the other day that looks great. I almost bought it to get rid of my Amazon "Scratch and Dent" aluminum block one. If you shop there at all, might be worth checking out if they have it in your area. I think it was about $120ish.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I got a bulletproof hitch. It’s 2.5” with an 8” drop. It’s super heavy and rated for 22k but that’s because I just wanted a one and done situation.

I like that I don’t have to use the sleeve adapter with it but I also don’t have multiple vehicles to share a hitch so it makes sense just having one that’s the right size.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I bought a 180 hitch from Wasatch Trailer. It has a 2.5" shank and over 18k lb rating on the 2 5/16 ball. The ones with a 2"shank were around 12k lb limit which sounds like it would work for you.

This one was $340 vs $500 for the B&W for a similar hitch. I'm happy with it.

IMG_5579.jpeg

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
Here’s the one I plan on running. Had an aluminum one that claimed to be 12.5k rated but noticed it had cracks around the pin holes for the ball part of it after a few uses so I sent it back.

XPE Trailer Hitch Fits 2.5 Inch Receiver, 8 Inch Adjustable Drop Hitch, 28,000 LBS GTW- Tow Hitch for Heavy Duty Truck, Solid, Ultra Silent,Truck Hitch, X-652508 https://a.co/d/gBV03hS

The only big difference between a 2” and a 2.5” shank is the weight rating which most people don’t come close to touching anyways. So if you find a 2” with the drop and that fits your weight range, it won’t be an issue. But a. 2.5 hitch in a 2.5 receiver would be quieter.

Last edited: