Dual boot....two hard drives (XP & Fedora Core 3)

Brett

Meat-Hippy
So, how do I go about setting this up? It sucks having to go into the BIOS each time to choose which drive to boot off of......so computer geeks, tell me what to do!

Caleb

use a boot manager like GRUB...it will let you select, I'm installing FreeBSD right now and it talked specifically about this. My opinion though, if you wan to learn linux then dump windows all together, otherwise you will always go back to windows, I promise. You knwo how to do "it" in windows so you will switch and pretty soon you will have the Linux partion never being used. Been there done that too many times :)

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
When you install Fedora, it should recognize that there is an existing Windows install and set it up for selection when you boot your computer. I think Fedora uses Grub, but I'm not sure.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Just make sure you install the 2 OS's on different partitions, or it will overwrite your windows partition.

Caleb

Chiksic said:
Did you set one as the master and one as a slave?

even if they were IDE drives, if he has them on two different controllers then they both could be master...

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Stupid Fedora killed my MBR on my SATA drive.....took me forever to remember how to fix that! Nooooow, I think that I am just going to try and go with switching in the BIOS which drive to boot from, till I figure out why it wouldn't work correctly. The GRUB boot was there, but it couldn't load Windows for some reason. It would just error out, saying that it couldn't mount the partition.

My next thing is to find drivers for my wireless USB thingy for Linux....how fun!

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Herzog said:
When you install Fedora, it should recognize that there is an existing Windows install and set it up for selection when you boot your computer. I think Fedora uses Grub, but I'm not sure.

It did...but wouldn't load...I think that I read somewhere it has issues with SATA drives...more research to do!

way2nosty

Supergper said:
even if they were IDE drives, if he has them on two different controllers then they both could be master...

ummmm... No, the ATA standard only allows 1 to be set as master, but. you can mark them both as active. In SATA it closely resembles the LUN numbers in SCSI, except that there is no common bus, each Drive must be on its own port, which is why sata 2.0 is goint to eat SCSI's lunch, I usually use the BSD partition manager, or modify the boot.ini file in windows.

Bone Down

I have been out of the linux realm (since I quit working at linux networx) for to long now and I am in the process of getting ready to install larger HD in the laptop so that I can run dual boot.

Windows for work and Linux for personal.

My plans (if still doable):
Boot linux and run windows thru linux so that I can still do my day job.

Few years back (not sure what there is out there now) there was a piece of software that all the linux programers and the hardcore linux guys used called tarantula (hope that it is still available).

Anyways tarantula would allow you to access and utilize and function within the windows partition as if it were booted, but you were actually booted up on linux.

It may not even be available anymore (hope it or something better is).

The biggest reason 4 years ago was there were still some porting issues for all the office products making it difficult to deal with clients that used windows and Linux Networx trying to be pro Linux.

Anyways enough rambling from me, what I am getting at is if you are dual booting see if you can find a third party app such as tarantula or similar this way if you need windows you push yourself to access it thru linux and eventually phazing out windows when the time is right.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Bone Down said:
My plans (if still doable):
Boot linux and run windows thru linux so that I can still do my day job.

Few years back (not sure what there is out there now) there was a piece of software that all the linux programers and the hardcore linux guys used called tarantula (hope that it is still available).

Anyways tarantula would allow you to access and utilize and function within the windows partition as if it were booted, but you were actually booted up on linux.

It may not even be available anymore (hope it or something better is).

ht.

This might help... I have no experience with wine, but I've heard about it.
http://www.winehq.com/

:)

78mitsu

My personal take on Linux Vs Windows.

BSD for servers (DHCP DNS Web ETC)
windows for users

with the basis being that the majority of users (present company excluded) couldn't operate in a linux environment, it's just not friendly enough for the common user. I generally run two seperate machines, so that I can be working on one, but still have acces to the other, dual boot is a pain in the A$$. I do have a P4 2.3 that is running 7 different operating systems BSD 6.0,bsd 5.4, win2k3server, xp, redhat (the latest version -- I forget),Mac OSX tiger, Mac OSX panther.

look at win4lin if you want to run windows apps within linux without a windows shell - ODBC and MSSQL drivers don't work exactly like they should, and there are some dependend dlls that are missing, but if you have a xp or 2k machine you can copy them.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Brett,

Are you just trying to get into linux to learn it, or do you actually make functional use of it? If you are just learning, another option would be VMware or Virtual PC. I've had a lot more success with VMware.

Only my laptop with VMware, I have Ubuntu, Fedora Core 3, Redhat 9, and tiger-x86. And they all run quite nicely under VMware.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
78mitsu said:
My personal take on Linux Vs Windows.

BSD for servers (DHCP DNS Web ETC)
windows for users

with the basis being that the majority of users (present company excluded) couldn't operate in a linux environment, it's just not friendly enough for the common user.

I agree, but some distro's are getting quite user friendly! Check out ubuntu for one. When I booted up ubuntu I was completely suprised how easy it was to use and configure. It comes with OpenOffice, web browser, email, and quite a bit of other things that 'regular' users need. But there are still many other programs that are just not available for it yet. I'm still a windows for work/personal user and will be for a while, but I love the progress that many of the distro's are making.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Bone Down said:
I have been out of the linux realm (since I quit working at linux networx)...
When did you work out there? I worked for Rick for almost a year. :hickey:

As for Brett's question I've never messed with dual booting with 2 drives. Usually I just have both on the same drive then have different mount points out to the additional drives.

78mitsu

Spork said:
When did you work out there? I worked for Rick for almost a year. :hickey:

As for Brett's question I've never messed with dual booting with 2 drives. Usually I just have both on the same drive then have different mount points out to the additional drives.

You can use a sim-link shift to cause different linux kernels to boot using a sim link for the /,/var,/etc, but leaving a common swap and /usr.

78mitsu

Herzog said:
I agree, but some distro's are getting quite user friendly! Check out ubuntu for one. When I booted up ubuntu I was completely suprised how easy it was to use and configure. It comes with OpenOffice, web browser, email, and quite a bit of other things that 'regular' users need. But there are still many other programs that are just not available for it yet. I'm still a windows for work/personal user and will be for a while, but I love the progress that many of the distro's are making.

The argument FOR linux is that it is more secure then windows, security is an ongoing battle, how would the average user secure a browser on linux, if they really have no Idea what it is, also activex integration in browsers has long time been an issue for gnome, kde, and other x dists

Caleb

78mitsu said:
The argument FOR linux is that it is more secure then windows, security is an ongoing battle, how would the average user secure a browser on linux, if they really have no Idea what it is, also activex integration in browsers has long time been an issue for gnome, kde, and other x dists
thats a weak argument considering 99% of your average users don't know how to secure a broswer (or anything else) on windows either. A lot of the distros are getting to the point that if they were skinned to look like windows, majority of users would never be able to tell the difference.