Dually wheels for crawling?

Tallz

As I research more and more, it seems one thing is constant. Wider is better. I realize that sometimes really wide is too wide and some of the full size trucks cant go where the more narrow jeeps can.

So, I am wondering why I have not seen anyone using wheels from a full size dually? For one thing, they are really stout and if you reverse them (so they stick out) they will add at least 3 inches of width. They would also not cause clearance issues on your brakes and steering. They wouldn't even effect any of that.

Is there a reason for not using them that I am missing?

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
That is a negative backspacing. A little hard on your bearings, but similar to big spacers mixed with low backspaced wheels. I don't know of anyone who's tried it. IMO it would be better to use a wider axle.

cheepin

Also most stock dually wheel are around 7" wide.A little narrow for most bigger tires.Also would leave the brakes really exposed.My current build (D60/14bolt) will be around 84" wide or so.This is using 10x15 wheels with IIRC 3.5" of BS.This is pretty dang wide!I will eventually switch over to some 16's or bigger with less BS.

Tallz

Your research has failed you.

Just a curiosity question. I may not have thought it completely through before I asked it, but I do appreciate the helpful advice from some of you and no thanks to those out to belittle and poke fun at someone elses expense.

Tallz

Now that is cool! Unigue and different. Those dual tires seem like they will grab almost anything. I was thinking more like one wheel one each end, but that idea is much cooler and better thought out.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Now that is cool! Unigue and different. Those dual tires seem like they will grab almost anything. I was thinking more like one wheel one each end, but that idea is much cooler and better thought out.

THis entire thread is begging for the truth:

Unique_by_krash.jpg