Durabak Bed Liner

Underdog

Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Seems like a good alternitive to plain black roll-on liners and is still pretty cheap per gallon ($120 for color). I am planing on doing my tub with the tan so it still has a factory look to it. I let you know how it goes.

http://www.nonslipcoating.com/

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
I just finished putting 2 gallons of Grey Durabak in my Scrambler. So far I really like it (although it's too new to judge for durability or wear). The price was a lot lower than that for colors as well.

EZ

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
blacksheep runs that in the tub of his TJ. I have seen his stuff a long time ago and he only had to patch it up in a couple spots he missed...black liner on black paint = missed spots I guess.

The key to liners is the prep work. Get some Methyl-ethyl-keytone if you can. Just get it as clean as possible , rough it up, clean it again and then paint.

Underdog

I actually got some of Blacksheep's leftovers and did my door sills about a year ago. They have lasted fine. I didn't think Blacksheeps stuff was Durabak though. His stuff has a much smoother finish than the sample I was sent. Any Thoughts Blacksheep?

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Yeah, mine's not durabak. Mine's from Walmart, I think it is called duplicoat or duplicolor....something like that. It does have a rather smooth finished look, but it has held up really well. I don't recall actually having to touch up anything.....

The stuff I have was $35 a gallon, but as near as I can tell it is only available in black. If I have to redo it, I'll go with something that gives a rougher finish.

What Spence said is right, it's all in the prep. I sanded the entire surface, used soap and water to wash it, then blew it dry with compressed air and a bunch of towels. I think I then used acetone as my final cleaning before applying the finish. I laid on a few coats throughout but I wish it was thicker.

Good luck, send us some photos when you get a chance.

good to see you finally make a post!!

P.S. MC and I just have to get together on the money deal.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Yes it is all in the prep. I sandblasted first, then wipe with xylene, vacuum, wipe with xylene, then vac again. It should hold up well. My grey color'd stuff was either $79 or $89 a gallon. After the second coat the rubber particles in it smooth out and you get a very nice consistent finish.

EZ

grinch

inner city redneck
I had alot of problems with the duplicolor i put in my old yj...... I will admit i didnt do a good prep job but it flaked and chipped all over the place after about a year..... I wont use duplicolor agine...
I have had much better experiance with herculiner...... but i dont think this comes in colors....

Broncoman

I have used both the duplicolor and the durabac the durabac is more like the real spray on (rhino etc.) but it has a ground rubber in it and is pretty sharp on the skin . It lasts longer than duplicolor ,and is available in colors .. the duplicolor is cheaper and thinner but is easier to use and is only available in black.. THE PREP IS KEY...follow the directoins , then do it again .

Underdog

Got the sample in and I can see it would be hard on bare feet. I will post pics when it is done, I am contemplating some kind of design on the floor. Also going to go with 4 coats instead of 2. Thanks for the info.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Hey Shawn,

Is that avatar of your'n a picture of your hootus? How'd you get that durabak off it?

EZ:D

Last edited:

Underdog

FYI Ordered 2 gallons of Tan and one quart of black. Total with tax and shipping for cam to $290. Enough for 4 coats and some sort of design.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Durabak Tip:

Make sure that you do a very thorough job masking areas you don't want covered. Despite what you think, the Durabak is very runny and will run under masking tape that isn't 'stuck' down. Use lots of finger pressure while putting the tape down. Tear off the tape as soon as the last coat is applied. Also, follow the instructions to a T and be sure to prep all surfaces per instructions.

EZ

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Underdog
FYI Ordered 2 gallons of Tan and one quart of black. Total with tax and shipping for cam to $290. Enough for 4 coats and some sort of design.

damn!!! you gonna do the whole jeep??

Are you getting rid of the carpet for good? Gonna sell it or what?

grinch

inner city redneck
If I get this house I just applied for the loan for im gonna try this stuff in the garrage.... Has anybody talked to the company about the smooth applications or floor paint???? Is the floor paint the same stuff as the bed liner??? I orderd a pamphlet but i want answers now lol.....

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Actually I put two gallons in my Scrambler tub and it didn't end up being quite as thick as I thought it would be. It's good stuff though and I'm happy with it.

EZ

Underdog

I'll probibly put the carpet back in after I return from Hawaii, depends on how it looks . I want to be able to run with just the bikini top and not worry about the carpet. Going to do 4 coats insted of 2 I have heard it goes on pretty thin . I also plan on doing the inners of the half doors cause that plastic paint I used is not lasting at all.

Last edited: