DVD Copies

Caleb

PierCed_3 said:
You can burn to cd/r?

yeah, you can burn to a CD/R and just make it a VCD and some players will even play it, otherwise you will be stuck playing it on computers...

another program I jsut downloaded and tried is www.fairusewizard.com its free and you can choose the size you want the video to be (I got it to put movies on my PPC)

Caleb

onetuff76 said:
do you need two dvd drives or are you copying the dvd to your hard drive and then burning it?

I ahve yet to burn one to disc, but you can just rip it to your HDD and then do as you wish from the HDD (keep it there, host it somewhere, burn it to DVD, ect)

Caleb

onetuff76 said:
so you're ripping it using the DVD shrink and that's it?

I haven;t tried the DVD Shrink, I have been using the Fair Use one I posted above and it rips them into .avi so any player that plays .avi will play them, and form avi you can go to most formats...the little bit I have played with DVD Shrink I can already see a down side, if you are just copying DVDs then its fine, but if you are trying to compress them to fit on even a CDr you need to shrink them more (Fair Use will do it as small as you want) since DVD shrink will only go down to about 50% of the original size (still over a GB usually) and a CDr is only 700 MB...I ripped Reliance down to 256 MB and the quality is still alright...

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
onetuff76 said:
so you're ripping it using the DVD shrink and that's it?

you dont need 2 drives, if you put the movie in it will copy the files needed tot he hard drive. replace it with the blank dvd and press backup. theses copies are 100% exact with the special features and all.

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
Badcop said:
you dont need 2 drives, if you put the movie in it will copy the files needed tot he hard drive. replace it with the blank dvd and press backup. theses copies are 100% exact with the special features and all.

think I could get some detailed instructions on what to do?

Caleb

onetuff76 said:
think I could get some detailed instructions on what to do?

how much more detailed do you want? what BadCop just said was step by step...thats literally all there is to it...

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Make sure the the blank DVD has enough minutes for the movie......all my are 80min. and most movies are 81+ min........... :(

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
Shawn said:
Make sure the the blank DVD has enough minutes for the movie......all my are 80min. and most movies are 81+ min........... :(

:confused: DVDs aren't really measured by minutes. I guess you mean CD-Rs?? And the minutes refers to CD Audio, no other format.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
RedRock5.9 said:
:confused: DVDs aren't really measured by minutes. I guess you mean CD-Rs?? And the minutes refers to CD Audio, no other format.
Then why can I not copy a 81 min movie onto a 80 min CD-R?

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
Shawn said:
Then why can I not copy a 81 min movie onto a 80 min CD-R?
file sizes, cd-r's are meant for music, not as much data streaming. dvd's you have a ton of data as there is video and audio. DVD-r's run a few gigs of storage where Cd-r's have about 700mb

Badcop

Who Dat? Who Der?
I know when I was still using CD-R's it took 2 discs for one movie. Now that Im using blank DVD's, the DVD Shrink will litterally shrink the size of the file to just a hair smaller than the limits of the disc.

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
Shawn said:
ok???????

So I need to go get some blank DVD-R's.............? Right?

You need a DVD burner as well, a CD-RW drive can not burn DVDs. The 80 minutes refers to the amount of CD Audio the disc can contain. Video data of course requires more space than audio alone. An 80 minute CD-R holds about 700MB of data, and DVD-R holds 4.7GB, about 6X more.

muleskinner

If you are buying DVD media, get the -R. It will play on more players than the +R will. this will explain everything. Anything you want to know about DVD's is there.

muleskinner

And remember:
textcopy.jpg