E-Brake extension ?

I just lifted that back of my 88 grand wagoneer about 6" and the E-brake cables are about 4" short when level and way off when the suspension droops(sp). Is there a way to extend this line (cutting and splicing in) or getting longer ones ? Do you really need to have this cable (other thean its good for parking your jeep and not binding up the tranny) Any info or help would be appreciated. Thanks

kb7sei

If it's driven on the road, you need the E-Brake. If for no other reason than it's required at inspection time. It's also a good idea to have just in case you lose pressure in the hydraulics for some reason. As for extending it, I have seen people use cable clamps and cable from hardware stores to do it.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm sure the Cable shop at Six States could fab something up for you, probably not the cheapest route but common were talking about your brakes.. :D

Caleb

I think on XJs a lot of guys use a passenger side YJ brake line...measure yours and I will measure my paaaenger side one...if mine is longer then you are welcome to it...

Ok heres what I did. Flex your rear suspension to it's max droop (I use a forklift because mine isn't driving yet). I figured that my cable was 6 inches to Short (sounds familiar ha ha ) remove the braded hard section from the old mount and make another one (I use a small piece of channel and drilled a hole in it). Move it back and weld it to the frame how ever many inches you are short. This gets the line to the brakes. Then take the Aircraft cable section and cut it in two and splice in (I use nicropress sleeves) a piece that is double the first measure, so 12 inches for me. Hook it all back up and it works great. I'll get pictures soon but its basically a cheap no brainer and I would be happy to help anyone with the same problem. Thanks.