E-Locker vs OX vs ARB

SRSCOUT

Outside the Box
I'm finishing up my "New Dana 44" for the front of my rig and it's down to what locker do I use. Since it's a front I am going to go with a selectable locker.

I have narrowed it down to three.
1-- The Eaton E-Locker. I like this one as a couple of wires seems alot simpler than air lines or a cable shifter. They have been factory equipment in several vehicles, and Eaton has been around for ever so it's likely there will be factory support well into the future.

2-- The OX Locker. This one looks like it would hold up to anything. A few years ago I helped a friend install one in a Dana 30 in his CJ7 and the quality of the unit seemed impressive. I have herd rumors though that it can be difficult to get the cable shifter adjusted properly. Also the company has changed hands several times in recent years, so who knows how long they will be around.

3-- The ARB Locker. This one has a very good reputation and is a long running company. I have seen issues on the trail with leaking air lines (whether that's from an improper install or a design problem I don't know). There is also the added expense of the compressor, but that is dual purpose providing trail air as well.

So what do you all think? Pros and cons for each. Especially interested in hearing from those of you who have run one or all of these lockers.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I have experience with the Eaton and ARB. ARB is a good unit but can have the issues you mention. My Eaton E-locker has been great but is a REALLY early production unit that we modified to work better (larger snap ring holding it together--work done by Summit Machine). I hope they have fixed that issue by now?

Last edited:

SRSCOUT

Outside the Box
I have experience with the Eaton and ARB. ARB is a good unit but can have the issues you mention. My Eaton E-MAILED locker has been great but is a REALLY early production unit that we modified to work better (larger snap ring holding it together--work done by Summit Machine). I hope they have fixed that issue by now?

OK. I understand that there have been some changes over the years, but I wasn't aware what they were.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I had an ARB in my last Disco. My only annoyance was the leak in the o-rings in the locker itself. Whenever I disengaged the locker, oil would blow back through the air compressor. Kind of a dumb design, but I just sprayed it off with brake cleaner and it was fine. The ARB worked great as long as it has air.

I king of prefer a lincoln locker. Always on, always works. Atleast in the rear axle.

Omgbecki

I did a lot of research on this just recently. I have a ARB in the front but if I did it again I'd go ox. I used to run a lunchbox locker in the front and loved it until I put a locker in the rear. Then it would push the jeep really bad. I went the ARB because they were having a really good deal at the time. I was supposed to get the big compressor but they goofed and did the little one. This was right before EJS this year and time was of the essence. So I just went with it. I like the ox because of simplicity and strength. The Eaton is really cool. I'll probably put that in the rear if I don't match the ARB in the front. I vote OX

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Had the Eaton e-locker in the Dana 60 front on my super duty, no problems, would do it again. Arb's in my Toyota, have had to adjust it to fix one minor air leak, but works fast. If I could have done e-lockers I would have gone that route.

SRSCOUT

Outside the Box
Thanks for all the reply's so far. It is a tough choice for me as it's enough $$$ that I don't want to make the wrong choice. If it wasn't going in the front, it would be a standard type locker (I love my Powertrax No-Slip rear) but in the front I feel that selectable is the way to go.

Agility Customs

Vendor
Thanks for all the reply's so far. It is a tough choice for me as it's enough $$$ that I don't want to make the wrong choice. If it wasn't going in the front, it would be a standard type locker (I love my Powertrax No-Slip rear) but in the front I feel that selectable is the way to go.

I have nothing bad to say about E lockers but I personnaly prefer the Air Lockers, The yukon zip locker or the ARB are the way to go.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I king of prefer a lincoln locker. Always on, always works. Atleast in the rear axle.

They are VERY simple (I ran a mini-spool in my 14 bolt). SUPER cheap and very effective. However, turning on off-cambers can get a little sketchy at times. I had a situation in a "non-issue" part of Pritchett Canyon that made me come home and buy a Detroit. Detroit is WAY better than the spool in my opinion. Selectables are awesome but cost $

SRSCOUT

Outside the Box
OK all. Tough decision. I'm leaning towards the E Locker, but barring that perhaps an ARB. I plan to run onboard air regardless so that discounts the compressor from the ARB price tag.

AaronPaige

Because you will already be spending the cash on air you can't go wrong with arb, I have several never had a problem with the locker it's self, have had o rings go bad after like 10 years and compressor/relay issues eventually, but you can get any part you need for and arb, I like the ox and e locker for simplicity but arb gets my vote

thenag

I went through this a few years ago, I was leaning e-locker and Carl (I lean) said "if you have an air source get an ARB"

And I did. And I quote him on that more than he would like me to.

For my axle (D60) at the time ARB was on (at least) their 2nd design, Eaton was still relatively new so the decades of R+D pushed me to the ARB.

You can't go wrong with any of the 3, they are all great and hold up well.

Nathan

SRSCOUT

Outside the Box
Thanks for all of the great info, it is much appreciated. I think it will be either the ARB or the Eaton. Will likely boil down to what I can find the best deal on. Sounds like both are great.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have an E-locker in the front of my LJ and love it. Its the new design that they say is actually stronger then the ARB. And for me its easier to find 12 volts then a guy to blow in the tube when I need it to work...

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I have an Arb in the front and an yukon zip in the rear. Both work great but I think my arb has a o ring leak. Need to take it out and have it looked at. I do see the advantages of both but an elocker does sound simple with less things to go wrong. I went with yukon zip in the rear since I already had a compressor and just hooked it up to the other spot on it.

Last edited: