E-mail sent to all UROC competitors

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
We got an email from Mark Patey a few days ago. I'll attach it here. I'm looking for wild speculation on what you guys think it is about. Who are the "Important people"? Is it possible that they have recieved few entry forms and this is an attempt to get more competitors? Waddya think?

Dear Rockcrawler,

Next week is the 4th of July and the UROC Pro National Championship. It is also quite possibly the single most important rockcrawling event in shaping the future of our sport. Very important people will be in attendance to make crucial decisions. Details can not be given, but be assured it is a benefit to everyone if we want to see this sport big to have every possible team in attendance. The series points may not matter to you, spending the 4th of July away from your family may be difficult, but the future of rockcrawling may hang in the balance in direct relation to the number of drivers in attendance. We urge you, that if at all humanly possible, to be in Farmington next week! Make it happen! Bring all your family and friends, particularly the ones that cheer the loudest.

Fence sitters get off the fence and come play. Drivers needing sponsors show up. Those who want the sport to be more than an expensive hobby, get your spotter and come out how many more ways can we say it. UROC Pro National Championship. Be there!

Mark Patey

Marketing Director, UROC

5072 N 300 W

Provo, UT 84604

PHN (801) 932-0322

FAX (801) 932-0323

www.uroc.com

P.S. If this letter sounds serious that’s because it is. Take it very seriously. If you’re already planning on being there make an effort to convince others to attend even it they are your competition.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Everything that follows is speculation, I have no inside knowledge of what is going on.

Possibilities:

1. As you know, they've been trying to get TV coverage on major networks.....the 'important people' could be related to TV and possible coverage.

2. You could be right, maybe the 4th holiday has prevented some competitors from signing up, it could simply be an effort to light a fire under those who haven't signed up.

3. ??? all out of guesses.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
The TV thing came to my mind too. Perhaps ESPN is there for this one or something. I wonder if this has anything to do with the funky (read: crappy) schedules too?

Caleb

I willing to bet its a little of both...I know they are short handed for volunteers...maybe its the same with the competitors...

creighton

They want me to do what!?
I wish we could have worked it out to be part of the 4th of july parade in Farminton to get people out to spectate. I think it is fully that Ranch is alreaddy running TV comercials for Cedar.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
After RockMonkey's post, I went and downloaded the schedule/iteniary....

wow!!!

Friday comp: 11am - 7pm

saturday comp: 1pm - 9pm

this is really strange.

Think about it though......Starting at 1pm, means live TV on the east coast at 3pm, on the west coast at noon.

runs awefully late though....does put it in prime time for the end of day activities!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I personally can't think of a WORSE weekend to have competitors go to New Mexico (or maybe to have an event :shrug: ) Has UROC had an event on 4th of July weekend before?..........just my opinion as a 2 time spotter. I really enjoyed the event both times I went, and wish it well.

As a potential spectator, I can't help but wonder if there's not some kind of rock formation west of Brigham, near Malad, somewhere in Cache Valley (probably an ideal location as it has motels, and other amenities), maybe in/around Evanston (another 'ideal' location if there's a suitable 'venue') to have an event. Somewhere 1-2 hours out of the Wasatch front, I think you could get a large number of new attendees.

We urge you, that if at all humanly possible, to be in Farmington next week! Make it happen! Bring all your family and friends, particularly the ones that cheer the loudest.
Umm.....yeah, bring a bunch of people with little kids to an event 9 hours away, to a town that really doesn't have alternative entertainment for someone that's maybe not wholly interested in the sport?

I have no idea who the 'mystery' guests are, but hope it's a large number of sponsors to help belay the costs of the teams. I've always HATED secrets implied like that one in the e-mail. What's the 'big' secret? Sounds a little like Hulk Hogan will be there with Jesse James or something.......:rolleyes:

Best of luck for all of the competitors!!!! I do wish the sport well, but just don't enjoy when promotors need to pursuade people to come to their competitions. Seems like something is a little out of balance when that happens.

Edit: clarity...

Last edited:

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by mbryson
I personally can't think of a WORSE weekend to have competitors go to New Mexico (or maybe to have an event :shrug: )

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you here. Although, apparantly, the original dates were changed due to other events during the originally scheduled timeframe.

I don't think they've done any on the 4th before though.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I personally can't think of a WORSE weekend to have competitors go to New Mexico (or maybe to have an event :shrug: ) Has UROC had an event on 4th of July weekend before?..........just my opinion as a 2 time spotter. I really enjoyed the event both times I went, and wish it well.

As a potential spectator, I can't help but wonder if there's not some kind of rock formation west of Brigham, near Malad, somewhere in Cache Valley (probably an ideal location as it has motels, and other amenities), maybe in/around Evanston (another 'ideal' location if there's a suitable 'venue') to have an event. Somewhere 1-2 hours out of the Wasatch front, I think you could get a large number of new attendees.

I have no idea who the 'mystery' guests are, but hope it's a large number of sponsors to help belay the costs of the teams. I've always HATED secrets implied like that one in the e-mail. What's the 'big' secret? Sounds a little like Hulk Hogan will be there with Jesse James or something.......:rolleyes:

Best of luck for all of the competitors!!!! I do wish the sport well, but just don't enjoy when promotors need to pursuade people to come to their competitions. Seems like something is a little out of balance when that happens.
No events on the 4th before. I think having it on the 4th is a gamble. On one hand, a lot of people have it off, so they may be able to come to the event easier. On the other hand, a lot of people probably have other plans for that holiday. I think it's a gamble if having it on the 4th will get more people there, or less. UROC pays if you find a venue and they use it... If ya find a place, I'd be happy to go check it our with ya. Sponsors would be cool. This is an expensive sport to be in, and sponsors can help a lot to offset the cost.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Originally posted by BlackSheep
After RockMonkey's post, I went and downloaded the schedule/iteniary....

wow!!!

Friday comp: 11am - 7pm

saturday comp: 1pm - 9pm

this is really strange.

Think about it though......Starting at 1pm, means live TV on the east coast at 3pm, on the west coast at noon.

runs awefully late though....does put it in prime time for the end of day activities!
I think if there were going to be live TV we would all know about it. They would want to get the word out as much as possible so people watch. A TV crew could be there filming for a later airing though.

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Somewhere 1-2 hours out of the Wasatch front, I think you could get a large number of new attendees.

The Widdowmaker comes to mind, I would love to see a rockcrawl turn out like that, not that there's a lack of spectators but it was a nice set up.

As for VIP's I hope it pans out and good luck to all who are running. Wish I was there.:cool:

P

pokeyYJ

Presisdent Bush is going to be there.

(Remember you said "wild" speculation)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

As a potential spectator, I can't help but wonder if there's not some kind of rock formation west of Brigham, near Malad, somewhere in Cache Valley (probably an ideal location as it has motels, and other amenities),

Wendover, nevada.;)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Rumor time........

I heard that Nevada will no longer be allowing Rockcrawling Comps, due to a mess RRCA left behind at the last event.

The UROC schedule was altered due to this reason.

AFIK, it's not 100% accurate info.

Caleb

Originally posted by Greg
Rumor time........

I heard that Nevada will no longer be allowing Rockcrawling Comps, due to a mess RRCA left behind at the last event.

The UROC schedule was altered due to this reason.

AFIK, it's not 100% accurate info.

RRCA(Ranch) denies that but that is wht Craig told us...he didn;t name RRCA specifically but he said another org. is the reason that area is out(We all know its RRCA though)

sukaB

Banned
It's just to help support and hopefully push more competitors to show up on the fourth...Spectators too...

ShortShaft

user
Vendor
The reno area BLM, did not claim that RCAA did anything wrong, quite contrary, they said that the event was cleaned up afterward just as promised.

The only issues that they had was people parking outside of the boundaries (on top of vegetation) and tire spin on the rocks (tire marks).

Because of that they are not issuing any more permits for rockcrawling. It is interesting though that directly across from the rockcrawl spot is a motocross track that gets used tons.

So basically what it comes down to is that the rock crawl didn't bring in enough money to make it worth their while. As you know the majority of the money brought in for the entire city of reno is through gambling. So they are not concerened at all with 'wasting' their time trying to get everything set up for just a few thousand people to come watch Jeeps.