Eagle Canyon in San Rafael Swell and Black Dragon

ozzy702

Looking at taking some friends on this route again. By any chance did any of you cross muddy creek south east of Goblin Valley this past weekend? It's the only place I'm a little worried about my buddy's 98' Ranger making it on.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Looking at taking some friends on this route again. By any chance did any of you cross muddy creek south east of Goblin Valley this past weekend? It's the only place I'm a little worried about my buddy's 98' Ranger making it on.
We were just chatting about that one a couple months ago: https://expeditionutah.com/forum/index.php?threads/depth-and-breadth-of-muddy-creek-in-april.8044/

When are you going? I haven't checked but I'd guess the Muddy is probably running about as high as it will all year right now.

ozzy702

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
You're talking Eagle Canyon up by Swasey Cabin? Then over to Black Dragon Canyon? I don't remember it crossing Muddy Creek at all 3-4 weeks ago? At least on the Jeep Safari route it did not?
1713890622691.png

ozzy702

You're talking Eagle Canyon up by Swasey Cabin? Then over to Black Dragon Canyon? I don't remember it crossing Muddy Creek at all 3-4 weeks ago? At least on the Jeep Safari route it did not?
View attachment 172042

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Yes, we're planning on Black Dragon and then over to Swasey's cabin on day 1. Day 2 we were going to run through Goblin Valley down to Cathedral Valley and to do that we need to cross muddy creek.

How was Swasey's cabin to eagle canyon this year? Easy enough for stock rigs with some spotting?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Yes, we're planning on Black Dragon and then over to Swasey's cabin on day 1. Day 2 we were going to run through Goblin Valley down to Cathedral Valley and to do that we need to cross muddy creek.

How was Swasey's cabin to eagle canyon this year? Easy enough for stock rigs with some spotting?
You should be fine through there. There were a couple spots that a stock rig will be working a bit. Shouldn't be horrible? (Haven't driven a stock rig off road for 25+ years)

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member

Eagle Canyon in a stock, high clearance, short wheelbase vehicle will be no problem. We went through there last weekend. If you descend as @mbryson shows above you are going down the only rocky technical sections on the trail that is just after you exit the freeway and take the split to drop into Eagle Canyon. Spotting will help keep bumpers attached and relatively unscathed, but that is likely the only high risk area to a stock rig on that section of your itinerary. I can't speak to the river as I haven't been there recently.

ozzy702

Eagle Canyon in a stock, high clearance, short wheelbase vehicle will be no problem. We went through there last weekend. If you descend as @mbryson shows above you are going down the only rocky technical sections on the trail that is just after you exit the freeway and take the split to drop into Eagle Canyon. Spotting will help keep bumpers attached and relatively unscathed, but that is likely the only high risk area to a stock rig on that section of your itinerary. I can't speak to the river as I haven't been there recently.

Awesome info! How difficult would the climb out of Eagle Canyon the opposite way be? Sounds like significantly more challenging.

Open diff Ranger and 4runner on 31s will be with our group.

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Awesome info! How difficult would the climb out of Eagle Canyon the opposite way be? Sounds like significantly more challenging.

Open diff Ranger and 4runner on 31s will be with our group.
I'd call it a 3 or 4 rated climb. A good driver will have no issues but spotting will definitely help if there is even a question of line. The road is wide with many line options through the roughest section. I'd be surprised if you didn't find a passable one for all but a very beginning driver.

ozzy702

I'd call it a 3 or 4 rated climb. A good driver will have no issues but spotting will definitely help if there is even a question of line. The road is wide with many line options through the roughest section. I'd be surprised if you didn't find a passable one for all but a very beginning driver.

It looks like there are two tunnels to access I-70. Is that correct? Which would be best for a fullsize 2nd Gen Sequoia? I appreciate all the info from you guys. My group isn't very set up and we have some novice drivers so I'm trying to over plan. Head of Sinbad Eagle Canyon2.PNG

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
It looks like there are two tunnels to access I-70. Is that correct? Which would be best for a fullsize 2nd Gen Sequoia? I appreciate all the info from you guys. My group isn't very set up and we have some novice drivers so I'm trying to over plan. View attachment 172070
I've never been through your west circle and I've never entered of exited the canyon from the West. That circle is likely a tunnel, but you should have no issues getting a full size rig through it. The tunnels look small but are plenty big. If it looks super tight, spot them into it.

Your east circle is not a tunnel. It's a place to enter and exit the freeway without being an offramp and overpass.

ozzy702

I've never been through your west circle and I've never entered of exited the canyon from the West. That circle is likely a tunnel, but you should have no issues getting a full size rig through it. The tunnels look small but are plenty big. If it looks super tight, spot them into it.

Your east circle is not a tunnel. It's a place to enter and exit the freeway without being an offramp and overpass.

Fantastic info. Thank you!