EarthRoamer

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Not sure where they are now but I found this:
EarthRoamer has outgrown it's current facilities and is planning to relocate near the end of 2007 to a new 56,000 square foot facility in Lafayette, Colorado which will house the corporate headquarters, manufacturing and R&D.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I see these Earth Roamers pop up in some ramdom places. I-15 in SLC, Jackson Hole, Idaho Falls, Glacier NP are the places I've seen them so far :cool:

I want one :(

chans

They had one at the Jeep display during the Jeep Safari. You would think they would make them off a Mercedes or Volvo something. I wonder how easy it would be to get parts for these if you were half way around the world.

sniperthx

They had one at the Jeep display during the Jeep Safari. You would think they would make them off a Mercedes or Volvo something. I wonder how easy it would be to get parts for these if you were half way around the world.

Well, how bout one built on a unimog?

www.globalxvehicles.com

Or maybe one a little less fancy built off a vanagon

www.gowesty.com

Or if you had a ton of money to spend

www.unicatamericas.com

And if you have an astrovan laying around, you could make your own

www.astrosafarivans.com

www.overlandvans.com

Caleb

Maybe I'm the odd ball but even though the Earth Roamers are cool as hell, I have no desire to own one. I'm just not a fan of Fullsize rigs on the trail. As for the different setups posted like the mogs and Internationals I don't think they are that cool. Far too large and cumbersome to have any kind of fun in...IMO :D I just can't see the fun of driving a semi down the trail or for any amount of distance offroad??? :confused:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Maybe I'm the odd ball but even though the Earth Roamers are cool as hell, I have no desire to own one. I'm just not a fan of Fullsize rigs on the trail. As for the different setups posted like the mogs and Internationals I don't think they are that cool. Far too large and cumbersome to have any kind of fun in...IMO :D I just can't see the fun of driving a semi down the trail or for any amount of distance offroad??? :confused:

They would be somewhat pointless here in the states, while we have some remote regions you are never more than 100 miles from a town with food, fuel and lodging. I think the Earthroamer and large overland vehciles (MAN, Uni, etc) really shine when your considering trips such as South America, remote regions of North America/Alaska, Africa, Aussie, etc. You don't even use them with the plans of hitting a "4x4 trail" per say, just need the 4x4 to cross "highways" that may still be dirt in 3rd world countries. The JK Earthroamer is more down to earth and I can really see that being advantageous in remote regions of Utah (Maze, Swell, HITR, etc). Its not the type of vehicle you buy if your into 2-3 day trips, but if your doing a week or more on the road it starts to really shine. I had the chance to scope out the ExpeditionsWest JK Earthroamer at SEMA last fall, very clean, very well made and considering all the features and fabrication its not hard to see how they get to their price.

Caleb

They would be somewhat pointless here in the states, while we have some remote regions you are never more than 100 miles from a town with food, fuel and lodging. I think the Earthroamer and large overland vehciles (MAN, Uni, etc) really shine when your considering trips such as South America, remote regions of North America/Alaska, Africa, Aussie, etc. You don't even use them with the plans of hitting a "4x4 trail" per say, just need the 4x4 to cross "highways" that may still be dirt in 3rd world countries. The JK Earthroamer is more down to earth and I can really see that being advantageous in remote regions of Utah (Maze, Swell, HITR, etc). Its not the type of vehicle you buy if your into 2-3 day trips, but if your doing a week or more on the road it starts to really shine. I had the chance to scope out the ExpeditionsWest JK Earthroamer at SEMA last fall, very clean, very well made and considering all the features and fabrication its not hard to see how they get to their price.
That's very true and I guess I wasn't thinking in that perspective. I can definitely see the need for the larger vehicles, especially in other countries like you pointed out,, I just don't think they would be all that "fun". (I KNOW I can have a ton more fun for that kind of price tag :D) I think they just seem to be kind of restrictive.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
From Boulder County Business Report, 10-20-09 http://www.bcbr.com/article.asp?id=102626

EarthRoamer files for bankruptcy
By Business Report Staff

October 20, 2009 --
LAFAYETTE - EarthRoamer, a company that transforms trucks and jeeps into customized off-road recreation vehicles, has filed for Chapter 7 liquidation bankruptcy.

The Lafayette-based company founded in 2002 by Bill Swails and Michelle Connolly, listed $234,556 in assets with more than $6.8 million in liabilities to its creditors at the time of its bankruptcy filing on Oct. 5, 2009.

The largest unsecured creditor is the U.S. Small Business Association, which guaranteed $5.3 million in loans to the company. Locally, the bankruptcy filing lists EarthRoamer owing $72,547 in taxes to Boulder County, $11,339 to Boulder-based Kelty, and $10,188 to Longmont-based Advanced Machining Inc.

Officials with the company could not be reached for comment as of Tuesday morning.

EarthRoamer's filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy indicates that a trustee will liquidate the company's assets to best pay off its creditors.

A case of bad economic timing likely contributed to EarthRoamer's troubles. The company aggressively expanded just prior to the sharp downturn in the U.S. economy.

In 2007, the founders purchased a property at 1460 Overlook Drive in Lafayette and built a 56,000-square-foot headquarters. The property is owned separately from the main company, under the Roamer Holdings LLC name headed by Swails and Connolly, and it is not part of the latest bankruptcy filing.

EarthRoamer reported an income of $640,504 that year, and it won a 2007 Boulder County Business Report IQ Award in the sports and outdoor category.

The next two years weren't so friendly. According the bankruptcy filing, EarthRoamer reported a loss of $829,643 in 2008 and a loss of $758,117 to-date in 2009.

Most of EarthRoamer's vehicles, which blend jeeps and trucks with RV camping attributes, sell for more than $100,000 each.