Educate Me On Run-Flat Tires

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Ok guys, enlighten me on Run Flat tires. My car has no spare, and no place to ever fit one. Instead, GM uses run flat tires. I guess that's not a bad thing, but the $1700 a set is!

So, I'm kind of thinking of getting away from the run flats, which would save me almost a grand every tire change, and packing a good compressor and plug kit. Am I missing anything? Are the run flats worth the extra grand? I think even with the run flat tires, a small compressor and plug kit will be on board, just for insurance. But should I risk it with normal tires?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I don't think the runflats are worth the extra grand unless you lived in say... the Northwest Territory or something. The utility is just not there.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
Run flats were designed with thicker sidewalls to let you go 50 miles at speeds UP TO 50 mph to get you to a safe place to stop or a tire shop. Problem is, that the tires will be toast after that distance. I would say to save the money on run flats and get the Platinum AAA service for only about $100/year.(100 miles free towing)Plus the tire might be salvagable at that point still.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
The more I've checked into it, the less I'm likely to buy into another set of run flats for several reasons. First of course is the extra expense, but I've found out that NOBODY stocks these tires. So, assuming I did limp it into the nearest tire store, or even a dealer, I'll still be as broke down as if I wasn't on a run flat. So, that really opens my choices on tire options.

So now, part two of the riddle:
What would you pack for tire repairs, on the road, and given VERY limited cargo area? I'm not a fan of Fix-A-Flat at all, seems like it doesn't work when you need it most. So, I'm thinking of going with a couple of those small nitrogen cylinders, I think they're popular around the biker crowd, along with a good quality yet compact compressor and of course a good plug kit. Can anyone think of any better options?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
My grandfather packed a sweet foot pump, but he also drove those old Crown Vics with the enormous trunks and a fullsize spare...

I would carry a flat kit like Kurt has (those ARB deals), and the compressor, and skip the nitrogen cylinders. When I was racing, the small CO2 cylinders were fashionable to fill your tires with but they were finicky and I never liked them as much as a small pump.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Hey, I've got one of those pumps. You trying to tell me something kid?? :D

The cylinders I'm thinking of (by biker, I don't mean those with pedals) are about the size of a Krylon can, and supposed to be good for a couple different tire fills. But I'm sure it's just like the little bicycle cylinders when once you open it you're probably best to replace it afterwards. Anyway, I'm thinking that would be a back up to the compressor because I haven't had a lot of luck with the small portable compressors.

After all these years of tearing tires up, I've aquired several nice plug kits so that's handled. What is it that Kurt has? Does ARB have a good yet compact compressor?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I'm saying.. old folks have awesome foot pumps? :ugh: :p

Ah! I was thinking pedals.. and those cylinders were one-shot-yer-done deals.

I was referring to the ARB plug kits.. but ARB does make a small compressor hahah not sure how good it is for tires though. *shrug*

so you'll have a foot pump, a plug kit, nitrogen canisters, and a compressor? Are you planning some dangerous excursion to some soup buffet in Death Valley or something??? :rofl::eek::ugh:

I mean, it's great to be prepared but daaaamn. :D

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
You've never seen the trunk on one of these I take it.....

No room for a pump. Maybe a Krylon can and plug kit. A VERY small compressor may be wishfull.

You may thank me somewhere between here and Delta someday. ;)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I would definitely thank you if I was stuck anywhere between here and Delta. :D

Aren't the regular-sized ARB compressors pretty small?? Are they too big? I have heard that they fill tires alright, albeit a bit slowly. Where is Kurt!!?!? He knows this stuff LOL

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
if you are set on a mini compressor, check out the lowrider websites... they make some pretty small portable compressors. I would stick to a plug kit and a large pre-packed co2 bottle. Maybe you can adapt a co2 fill kit to a paintball gun 20oz co2 tank.