efi computer tech

fullsizeyota

I fart sometimes
hey guys i have a TBI 305. it runs really rich and i have a code 24 on ALL the time... something to do with VSS, which i dont have/need....

anyone in SLC do any programing? can you delete the VSS code, fix my fuel map and maybe give the cruiser a kick? welll as much kick as a 305 can have :rofl:

mainly the light is buggin me.. i have a lap top.. is this of any value? can i do anything on the cruiser with it?

the guys at arnolds compressor told me about some EFI junkie efi shop on 3300 s.. custom ECM's harnesses and what not..

thanks

lewis

Fight Till You Die
turbocity.com sells and adjustable fuel regulator that replaces the one built into the stock tbi so you can turn down it down so that it doesn't run as rich. I think summit might sell one too. a friend of mine put one on to turn his up and it worked well. my rig runs to rich as well and have thought about putting this on to turn it down but haven't cause it costs money. and also clean out your pm's so i can pm you about those yj springs.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
fullsizeyota said:
hey guys i have a TBI 305. it runs really rich and i have a code 24 on ALL the time... something to do with VSS, which i dont have/need....

anyone in SLC do any programing? can you delete the VSS code, fix my fuel map and maybe give the cruiser a kick? welll as much kick as a 305 can have :rofl:

I just bought an ALDL cable (on it's way) to start doing a little tinkering. I know nothing at this point, but have two '89 TBI 350s I'm going to start tinkering with.

I've read somewhere that you HAVE to remove the VSS from the PROM in your situation and it doesn't sound like it's hard. What's the TBI motor out of and which ECM model do you have?

fullsizeyota said:
mainly the light is buggin me.. i have a lap top.. is this of any value? can i do anything on the cruiser with it?

Not without and ALDL cable and some software for your laptop (with a serial port)

fullsizeyota said:
the guys at arnolds compressor told me about some EFI junkie efi shop on 3300 s.. custom ECM's harnesses and what not..

thanks

Good to know.

Caleb

yep, as Marc said you need the cable...BUT even with the cable you can't do anything other than monitor what everything is doing, and if you dont know what the numbers are supposed to be doing then it does you no good to monitor them :D (I learned this after I bought the stuff to get hooked-up). If you want to do programming then you will need to get chips and the setup to burn the chips (and the programs for the chips and know how to tweak it to your liking :D). I liked the idea of doing it myself but for $90 I could buy a custom burned chip and be done with it and know its going to work. I went that route instead :D (got rid of all emissions stuff and changed rpms a little and added a high idle wire to it so when I turned on my AC, york for OBA, it would pick-up the idle automatically).

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Supergper said:
.......... If you want to do programming then you will need to get chips and the setup to burn the chips (and the programs for the chips and know how to tweak it to your liking :D).........

That's right where I'm at. When were you looking and what setup were you looking at to burn the chips (I haven't found anything on the 'cheap' to burn with--they're all a little bit o cash)? I have a program already from someone I know. Supposedly it's 'kewl'.

Caleb

mbryson said:
That's right where I'm at. When were you looking and what setup were you looking at to burn the chips (I haven't found anything on the 'cheap' to burn with--they're all a little bit o cash)? I have a program already from someone I know. Supposedly it's 'kewl'.

Well, I did most my researching and what-not on www.thirdgen.org and I bought my stuff from www.moates.net but I too was finding the burning setup to be a little more than I wanted to spend considering I dont think I would be using it all that often. If you haven't already check out the DIY Prom forum on thirdgen.org it has TONS of info from where to start to actually burning the chips.

fullsizeyota

I fart sometimes
all good info. thanks guys :D

how do you remove the vss chip? is it a chip or??

who did you get your chip from?

the high idle is a good idea... that would be sweet for a york compressor or like you said, ac.. sweet :greg:

Caleb

fullsizeyota said:
all good info. thanks guys :D

how do you remove the vss chip? is it a chip or??

who did you get your chip from?

the high idle is a good idea... that would be sweet for a york compressor or like you said, ac.. sweet :greg:

on my setup I originally did as Painless said and bypassed the VSS by hooking a couple wires together (can't do this if you are trying to be smog legal). I never even bothered to get the VSS module fromt eh donor vehicle the rest of my engine stuff came from so I can't say if it was a chip, a sensor type thing, or??? I then had it removed from the computer all together when I had my chip burned. FWIW, the biggest issue with removing the VSS sensor is worse gas mileage and some claim a power loss (very slight however).

I got my chip from www.affordable-fuel-injection.com it was $90 shipped, tell them what exactly you want and they'll get it done.

The high idle was for my York for on-board air (never actually hooked my york up though :-/ )