EFI Engine Swap into CJ5, opinions please!

Tallz

I have done a couple searches on this site for my questions but have not come up with anything specific.

I have a 1978 CJ5 with a AMC 304 in it now. I have bought a NP435 mated to the Dana 300 that I am planning to use. I want fuel injection and realize now that the cost of fuel injection or propane kits for the 304 are crazy expensive. I dont want to get rid of the 304 as it is newly rebuilt and in great shape, but the cost of swapping a Chevy or Ford EFI V8 would be much cheaper (as much as half the cost).

I am wondering what would be the best swap for my CJ5? I know Chevy V6 and the SBC are good swaps but I will have a little modifying to do on the NP435 to make it work. I also know that the Ford 302's will mate directly to the NP435, but I dont know what is involved in its fitment to the CJ mounts. I recently put in new M.O.R.E. motor mounts on the CJ and would like to use them if possible (with or without modification).

Does anyone with CJ experience know what is the best fit for both my M.O.R.E. motor mounts and the NP435 with EFI?

V6 or V8 would be fine for my project.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Not to sidetrack too much, but have you looked into some of the DIY TBI kits out there? I know there are people out there running modded GM systems on AMC 304/360/401s with good success... I wouldn't want to swap a freshly rebuilt engine either... :(

Tallz

Not to sidetrack too much, but have you looked into some of the DIY TBI kits out there? I know there are people out there running modded GM systems on AMC 304/360/401s with good success... I wouldn't want to swap a freshly rebuilt engine either... :(

Yes I have. I came accross a thread about a chevy tbi on a 360, but It didnt have a lot of information on how to do it. My 304 has an edelbrock intake and a quadrajet 4 barrel. Will it still work?

I will look around some more on that topic as well. Maybe Pirate 4x4 has some info as well.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Quadrajets are a lot of carb.. but yeah, it can be made to work-- the throttle body is 2-barrel, so you'd use an adapter.. I'm assuming you have the Performer, so that's a fine intake for TBI..

IFSJA might have some good info.. I haven't been over there in a while. The main thing will be having the chip reflashed, and.. modding your distributor (or a GM). TBI is a pretty simple EFI system as far as sensors and input goes.

Tallz

Quadrajets are a lot of carb.. but yeah, it can be made to work-- the throttle body is 2-barrel, so you'd use an adapter.. I'm assuming you have the Performer, so that's a fine intake for TBI..

IFSJA might have some good info.. I haven't been over there in a while. The main thing will be having the chip reflashed, and.. modding your distributor (or a GM). TBI is a pretty simple EFI system as far as sensors and input goes.

I take it these are mostly junk yard finds? The throttle body, ECM, and all the wiring? If you come up with a thread, let me know. This is sounding like more the route I should take...

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
yeah, any GM truck between 87 and 9..4? ought to do... TBI is a standalone system with a PCM, some sensors, not much to 'em. I'll see what I can find. ;)

notajeep

Just me
yeah, any GM truck between 87 and 9..4? ought to do... TBI is a standalone system with a PCM, some sensors, not much to 'em. I'll see what I can find. ;)

Hey, I have some Holly EFI stuff here that I found stashed away. It's the throttle body unit, harness and some sort pcm with little knobs that control idle, rmp, etc....
I can try to find more info if you're interested.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
ahhhh! that's another option, that people either hate or like. :D You can fiddle with it, and it's a universal system, and Holley has manuals and stuff online.

Definitely a valid option. Make sure you get teh optional closed loop add-ons if you go that route.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Sidenote: what is your wheelbase? is it stock? a 435 with a dana 300 seems like it might be a little long for a 83" wheelbase.

I would hate to have you redo everything without taking drivetrain length into consideration. Good luck with your project. I love CJs...

Tallz

Sidenote: what is your wheelbase? is it stock? a 435 with a dana 300 seems like it might be a little long for a 83" wheelbase.

I would hate to have you redo everything without taking drivetrain length into consideration. Good luck with your project. I love CJs...

Im at 90" now and soon to be +/-100".

Tallz

Hey, I have some Holly EFI stuff here that I found stashed away. It's the throttle body unit, harness and some sort pcm with little knobs that control idle, rmp, etc....
I can try to find more info if you're interested.

Yes I would. Is it a complete system? If not, what is missing? How much for what you have?

Tallz

Here is a thread for swapping TBI on to a Chevy motor.It has all the pins labeled out.So if you goto a yard and get the harness and TBI you can go through the harness and use what you need.For a dumbed down version you would only need the O2,Temp sensors.You could step up and use every sensor that Chevy uses. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=317519

Thanks guys. You have inspired me, once again, to do more searching on other sites for the Chevy TBI swap into my CJ. It looks easy enough and cheap! There is a lot of information out there on how to do this. I had no idea!

jdub

Scrambler
Price skid plates, radiator, drivelines and all the mods to your tub to get the shifters poking trough that you want. Nickle and Dimes from there on. If you already have a v8 I say just inject it! But I went the 350/th350/d300 route and like it.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
i vote for the Holley TBI conversion, i have always loved everything holley has made for V8's and if he's already got a kit i would get that and keep your fresh rebuilt AMC 304, it would be best and cheapest if you ask me. I'm always a fan of working with what you have

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Not to ruin your excitement, but do a search on here for the word 'Projection'. I hated my Holley Projection, sometimes wish my Jeep would have burned to the ground when I had that EFI system on my SBC.

notajeep

Just me
Not to ruin your excitement, but do a search on here for the word 'Projection'. I hated my Holley Projection, sometimes wish my Jeep would have burned to the ground when I had that EFI system on my SBC.

Maybe thats why its covered in dust in a box hidden away.... :confused:

Tallz

I actually had a Holley Projection on an old 1970 F100 about 6 years ago. I only had it on for about six months before I had to sell the whole rig, but I did like it over carbuerator, points and the hassels/low reliability of that system. I think any injection is an improvement over a carbuerator.