EFI Swap woes......

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm finally wrapping up my 22RE EFI Swap, got everything bolted on, go to pour the antifreeze in and notice a decent leak coming from the engine...... No worries, tighten a few hoses under the intake and it does nothing to stop the leak.

After some looking around, I see that the antifreeze is coming from between the Head and the Block, under the Intake Manifold, on the front half of the engine. Fawk, FAWK, FAWK!!!!!!

I put on the head I got w/ the EFI parts......... but don't think the head could be warped that bad COULD IT?? Why would it be leaking out?

I'm thinking about pulling it all out and rebuilding the motor this time. I should have done that the first time..........

The Turkey Day Moab trip is looking pretty fuzzy........ :mad: :(

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
:eek: sounds nightmarish. either way you probably have to pull the thing. That sounds like a serious heartbreaker!! warped head sounds like the cause....go through the whole gambut before you pull it though....did you torque the head bolts all the way, or did you just think they were torqued....I have a problem with remembering to tighten important bolts....:)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
You better get your crap together quick, cuz you're goin'!! Even if I have to strap you through every trail! Did you put a head gasket on that thing? your supposed to use those, ya know.:D

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
You shoulda talked to me at the swap meet. STOP!!! Don't pull anything. If you JUST put on a new/different head with a NEW gasket, it will leak for a muinute untill it seats. If this is the cenario then run the truck for 20 min. Check for leaks then. My 22r did the same. I called the shop and freaked. Thats what he told me and he was right. Seems my head swaps do the same but I don't remeber. It's no tramatic anymore. e-mail or PM me if you need more advice

Cruiser

look what i can do!!
Originally posted by Skyetone
You shoulda talked to me at the swap meet. STOP!!! Don't pull anything. If you JUST put on a new/different head with a NEW gasket, it will leak for a muinute untill it seats. If this is the cenario then run the truck for 20 min. Check for leaks then. My 22r did the same. I called the shop and freaked. Thats what he told me and he was right. Seems my head swaps do the same but I don't remeber. It's no tramatic anymore. e-mail or PM me if you need more advice

Sky
no offence..
i dont know but that sounds a little sketcy to me...
i personally wouldnt chance a potential fawkup like this...i've learned the same lesson too many times.... i could be wrong though!!!

Greg... didn't you have the head checked, and surfaced before you put it on???

i hade one leak cause of a flaw in the gasket also ...just a thought..

thats my .2 cents

good luck...

Skyetone

Kinda crabby latley
is it on a 22r block or the I-6? It probanbly is different. This exact point is a small drip and with fresh head and gasket. After that the most you'd do in a short time frame is durty the oil. I said run it for 20 min, not 20 miles.

Greg

Admin
It's not a small drip.....Its a healthy leak, it just drains right out. Of COURSE, I put on a new Head Gasket and not only did I Torque the bolts, I triple checked them to make sure I got them all. I didn't have the head checked, although I should have. I don't have time to do anything for a couple days, but I'll look into it further this weekend.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Von's truck did that when he rebuilt his motor---turned out the block wasn't true where it met the head. (head was surfaced)

Cruiser

look what i can do!!
Originally posted by Jeremy
Never give up!! :cool:

dont give up and dont run it...
from my experiance allways have an ALLUMINUM head checked for warp and cracks.
it wont take long, pull it off some evening...have it checked...
slap it back on the next night... good to go.. well unless head prob..

we assembled an engine, the front and rear diffs w/ new gears, droped engine/trans in, built rear shock mounts, changed a clutch on a differant truck and pan gasket, and new rear gears for it aswell... all in 1 night..12 hours then left at 1:30am and were in moab at 9a.m...oh and we pulled a trailer with my cruiser on it...
then wheeled all day...

and your bitchen about a leaky head gasket with your moab trip so far away...:p:rolleyes:

one allnighter wont kill ya..

JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

Last edited:

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
Did i hear it's an aluminum head? If so they warp easily, but can straighten out when torqued down. Also make sure the bolts didn't pull up the top thread in the block when you torqued it down. But enough with the BS, if it's pouring out, you've got a serious problem.

Greg

Admin
I should have had it decked, but I was in a rush and you know how that goes. I know that pulling the Head Bolts in the wrong pattern can warp a head, too. I think I'm going to do a whole motor, there's no way Moab is happening over T-Day, I still have windows to install, Longfields to add, 44044's to Mount (And build a Spring Hanger), and Fiberglass Fenders to bolt on, besides finishing the EFI Swap wiring AND the motor problems....... oh yeah, and I'm moving before T-Day.......

Moab is not happening. :(

There's always next time!! :D January, anyone? :D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by Greg
I should have had it decked, but I was in a rush and you know how that goes. I know that pulling the Head Bolts in the wrong pattern can warp a head, too. I think I'm going to do a whole motor, there's no way Moab is happening over T-Day, I still have windows to install, Longfields to add, 44044's to Mount (And build a Spring Hanger), and Fibergalss Fenders to bolt on, besides finishing the EFI Swap wiring AND the motor problems....... oh yeah, and I'm moving before T-Day.......

Don't feel too bad. I'm not going to make it either. :(

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by Greg
I should have had it decked, but I was in a rush and you know how that goes. I know that pulling the Head Bolts in the wrong pattern can warp a head, too. I think I'm going to do a whole motor, there's no way Moab is happening over T-Day, I still have windows to install, Longfields to add, 44044's to Mount (And build a Spring Hanger), and Fibergalss Fenders to bolt on, besides finishing the EFI Swap wiring AND the motor problems....... oh yeah, and I'm moving before T-Day.......

I am not even going to touch any of my gear until the second week of december...school has me cramped for my EFI swap too!!

84 4Runner

Restless 'Runner
I'm feeling more encouraged about NOT doing an EFI swap every time you post Greg! Maybe I should be happy with my little 22R...I think a rebuild with no EFI swap is sounding more and more promising! :D

I don't think my death trap is going to make it down for Thanksgiving either...guess I'll be practicing my spotting! :p

Greg

Admin
I really don't think the EFI Swap would be that bad, I've just been taking my time, since I have a ton of other stuff going on. Once it's done, I am sure I'll forget all about the Trouble and be singing the tune of 'how much I love my EFI'. I do, however, have a couple recommendations if you're going to do this-

-Try to get the Parts truck parked next to the Swap Candidate.
(If you can't do that, borrow a friends w/ a 22RE, so you can see how it all works together.)

-Do alot of research on the wiring...... You'll need it! (Someone would make $$ if they made a Swap Harness that got rid of all the unrelated wires.)

-There's a ton of Misc. parts that are diffrent between the Motors, that you wouldn't know without starting the Swap. (I'll list them in my 'How To' writeup of the Swap.)

Kurt- I had a 22R and the Carb crapped out on me. I had alot of the EFI Swap parts, but not everything. Gathering all the right parts was one hell of a headache.