Egress windows in Orem

comingdown

Hey all,

We are needing some egress windows in our basement, has anyone done this before? I am capable and handy, but the only part that makes me nervous is the concrete cutting. My basement, as far as i can tell and have been told has been added after the rest of the house. it is the only house on the street that has it so it seems logical. I have lived there almost a year and it has a basement apartment there that has been rented for years with no windows, but it scares the crap out of me. We are getting quotes from 5k to 7k. I think i can rent a trac hoe for a day and dig it and install the window wells, but the actual concrete cutting is where i start to doubt myself. The windows off the shelf at home depot are around $200 each, so the thought of spending 5-7k makes my testosterone levels drop. Any one got any tips or has done it and can shed some light? it is solid concrete, not block if that makes a difference. If it was block i'd prob feel better about it. If you do this thing, PM me if your interested in doing any part of it. Thanks guys.

DerekM

formerly dirk124
I had to do this in my duplex. Its not that difficult to do. The hardest part is getting the concrete out once the cut is made. Just make sure you do the bottom cut first so you don't pinch the blade. Also, get ready for a muddy mess inside and out.

comingdown

cuttign bottom first is a very helpful tip. i plan on pulling the carpet and making a huge mess, so not a big deal there. One will be easy, the other will be a huge suck factor, so I may end up having someone come and do it.

Just hire a concrete cutter to cut it It costs about $300 per window to cut it out and bout another $150 to break and remove the block.... or you can over excavate the hole and just burry it. The rest is pretty easy to do.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Whatever you do, make sure you understand the requirements for an egress window. It's 5.7 sq. ft. of openable space, but no less than 24" high and 20" wide, with 44" max from sill to floor. I knew someone that thought it was 5.7 sq. ft. for the whole window and cut the wrong sized hole in their foundation wall. :ugh::rofl:

comingdown

Whatever you do, make sure you understand the requirements for an egress window. It's 5.7 sq. ft. of openable space, but no less than 24" high and 20" wide, with 44" max from sill to floor. I knew someone that thought it was 5.7 sq. ft. for the whole window and cut the wrong sized hole in their foundation wall. :ugh::rofl:

lol, yeah, i have done that, doing a 4x4 window, so that shouldn't be any issue, but still a good reminder.

ID Bronco

A few hints from experience.

1. Rent a track hoe or hire a guy with one to do it quickly. Digging it yourself brings the suck. (yes I was dumb enough to try it)

2. Have the concrete cutting hired out, up here I got a good deal $250 ish.

The amount of light it brings and the peace of mind is worth it. I love it because it's what I always dreamed of having in my younger days to sneak out of. My 16 year old is probably really glad we did it.

comingdown

CAM00820-1.jpgCAM00824-1.jpgCAM00826-1.jpgCAM00855-1.jpgCAM00859-1.jpgCAM00861-1.jpgCAM00016.jpg

Finally got it done, but it was a major PITA. Paid to have the concrete cut and cement poured. it didn't turn out perfect, but i got the drywall hung, taped and textured. Did laminate floors now. my bro is a structural engineer and signed off on everything as being secure before the wall was cut. took a lot longer then i anticipated amd cost more money, but still glad it is done, at least now the people living there have a chance to escape in the chance of a fire. i feel good about that fact.

comingdown

i think it came out to 1200, they had to use the 36" saw blade to do it, plus jack hammered it up and hauled it off, plus dug the majority o the hole on the outside.

comingdown

thanks, i got some expanded metal for free, so i think i got it under control. it might be some redneck-ery, but it will function.