EJS Cliff Hanger

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Nice pics. I've heard rumor that they had to grade the road up the cliff last year for some work crews, any truth to this?

BOB-CAT

THE PUNISHER
Nice pics. I've heard rumor that they had to grade the road up the cliff last year for some work crews, any truth to this?

I do not think so, I drove the Rubicon and it high centered on most of the obstacles. Granted it is almost stock.
Crawling back out I needed both lockers engaged. I wished I had my Toyota for the ground clearance.

Bear T

Tacoma free since '93
Good to know, I haven't done cliffhanger before. I'm more than a little afraid of cliffs, more so the falling off cliffs. Maybe one day I'll make it up there.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Looks like a good time :D

I'm 99% sure I passed your group that day right before you started the trail. Was there an old late 60's Ford pickup with you guy's? Maybe that was another group.... We usually camp up Kane Creek and run the first half (done the cliff part one too many times :ugh:) right after we roll into town.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
How tipsy does the trail get? Haven't ran it yet but want to soon. With the 33's I'm about 3-4in wider than stock, so it is a bit more stable. My worst fear is rolling the Jeep, scraping I'm not worried about.

BOB-CAT

THE PUNISHER
Looks like a good time :D

I'm 99% sure I passed your group that day right before you started the trail. Was there an old late 60's Ford pickup with you guy's? Maybe that was another group.... We usually camp up Kane Creek and run the first half (done the cliff part one too many times :ugh:) right after we roll into town.

That was us. the Old ford long bed F250 was locked Front and Rear with a heavy foot he came with us what a wild man he snapped the front ujoint and fixed it in and we kept on going.

BOB-CAT

THE PUNISHER
How tipsy does the trail get? Haven't ran it yet but want to soon. With the 33's I'm about 3-4in wider than stock, so it is a bit more stable. My worst fear is rolling the Jeep, scraping I'm not worried about.

As long as you have one locker you should be ok. Just stay close to the wall when you go over the boulders on the cliff. Not to tippy but technical.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust

The first part of Cliff Hanger is one of my Moab favorites. I do not like the cliff part at all.... AT ALL! :D The pucker factor is just too much for me in my old age so I just turn back when I get to that part. There are a few off camber sections of the trail, but with the right lines they are not too bad. The trail has gotten worse over the last few years, but I think it adds to the fun factor. There are a lot of places to turn around too if it gets too hairy.

The problem I see people struggling the most with is their approach and departure angles. I have rescued several vehicles on one of the first ledges (or last if your finishing the trail) because they kept getting snagged on their bumpers while trying to go up it. Also it is not the optimum trail for shorter rigs like Wrangler's or Samurai's but I feel very stable in my Toyota that has a 106" wheelbase...

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Mine is 106" as well and have seen the differences when wheeling with SWB vehicles. I almost died 10 years ago after rolling a car 6 1/2 times, have also tipped the Jeep on the driver side, so I hate really tipsy trails.

05rubicon

The last picture of the ledge is that the tippy area or is there areas that are worse than that. I wanted to run this trail but ran out of time looks like a fun trail thanks for the pictures.

X1994J

XJ's Bring the Uni-Suck
We ran cliff hanger up to the tippy part then turned around last time we were down. My buddy went through in his Zuki, I had the family and wasn't digging it too much. here's couple good pics of it...... The first one is at the top of it, the second pic is him coming back towards it after he turned around. You can see the cliff you are on if something goes wrong and you tip.

Attachments

• Moab, Feb, 09 #2 060 (Medium).jpg
    Moab, Feb, 09 #2 060 (Medium).jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Moab, Feb, 09 #2 062 (Medium).jpg
    Moab, Feb, 09 #2 062 (Medium).jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 60