EJS Rant!

DrMoab

I might be a little biased in this since I have sworn off EJS ever since it became nothing but a cool place for the spring breakers to hang out but... I have a couple of gripes.

I got to see EJS in a different light this week since I was working in the area and not wheeling. Some of you may know I drive for a living and had to go through Moab 8 times in the last four days and by the time I got out of there last night I wanted to strangle some people....

First off.
If your rig won't go any faster on the highway then 40 MPH....TOW IT!!!!
When you are going 35 MPH on the open highway with other vehicles...including trucks like me weighing 128 thousand pounds you are a DANGER! Coming out of the south I saw tons of jeeps, toys, buggies and what not going so slow and not even willing to pull over on the shoulder.

Second....what is the deal with guys in jeeps thinking its OK to just pull out on the highway anytime they want? I know the wheelers rule Moab over this week but I fail to see where that means that traffic laws do not apply.

And finally...
If you are driving your jeep home on US6 and are going 55 MPH and you look behind you and can't see the end of the traffic line behind you....PULL OVER and let traffic pass. As much as I hate more laws I think California has it right. If you are holding up more then five vehicles...pull over and let them by.

Maybe I was just jealous because I was working and not wheeling but my nerves were just about stretched to the limit by the time I got home.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I got cut off and then instantly brake checked by some girl at the bottom of Soldier Summit. She passed me after the passing lane ended, then wedged in between myself and the car infront of me, then brake checked me so hard that I almost lost control of the rig trying not to hit her. I got her license number, then I found her parked at the Chevron just out of Spanish fork. I pulled over, called the UHP and filed a complaint/report and then yelled at the girl for being a complete idiot. She was scared shitless. When I told her I was on the phone with UHP she turned white as a ghost. I'm going to follow up on it later this week to see if anything became of it.

DrMoab

Cody said:
I got cut off and then instantly brake checked by some girl at the bottom of Soldier Summit.
It makes me wonder what turns people into such idiots on that road. No wonder it has one of the highest death rates in the nation.

Finally coming home last night there was me and another semi runing up US-6 together just out of Green River. Both of us were doing close to 70 so it wasn't like we were holding up traffic and this dude in a Trail Blazer decided to pass us both. I could see someone coming the other way but this dude didn't care. He ended up pushing the guy coming the other way off on the shoulder because he didn't have the room to pass both of us trucks.

Stupididy....pure plain stupidity.

DrMoab

fergusor said:
thats why I went home on sat. No traffic
Its funny. I ran back and forth between Duchesne and Lisbin Valley since Thursday. On Sunday I went south a little late and decided to count jeeps on trailers. Just trailers not driven. I lost count at over 400 just between Wellington and Green River.

I came home late. Left Moab at 9:30 last night and hardly saw a soul. I think I timed it pretty well.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
DrMoab said:
Its funny. I ran back and forth between Duchesne and Lisbin Valley since Thursday. On Sunday I went south a little late and decided to count jeeps on trailers. Just trailers not driven. I lost count at over 400 just between Wellington and Green River.

I came home late. Left Moab at 9:30 last night and hardly saw a soul. I think I timed it pretty well.

Where's Lisbin Valley? Did you have to take a double over from Price to Duchesne? That's gotta suck. Dem's some steep, curvy hills.

wildkid

...Jeepless...
Well if this is to become the official EJS '06 rant thread then here goes...

I was on Moab Rim on Monday, 4/10 and ran into a group from Oregon. They were all wearing S.O.R.D. (sky's off-road design or something) shirts. Most of them in buggied yotas. They were the worst bunch of folks I have ever had the misfortune of being on a trail with. They were driving into each other, over each other, over trees, stopping in the middle of the trail and getting out to take a wiz (all the time a larger group was behind them). When traffic was coming the other way, they would clog the trail nearest the obstacle and cause a serious cluster ****. I typed a few of there plate numbers into my cell to report later, but didn't save the message properly and lost the info:mad2:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
wildkid said:
Well if this is to become the official EJS '06 rant thread then here goes...

I was on Moab Rim on Monday, 4/10 and ran into a group from Oregon. They were all wearing S.O.R.D. (sky's off-road design or something) shirts. Most of them in buggied yotas. They were the worst bunch of folks I have ever had the misfortune of being on a trail with. They were driving into each other, over each other, over trees, stopping in the middle of the trail and getting out to take a wiz (all the time a larger group was behind them). When traffic was coming the other way, they would clog the trail nearest the obstacle and cause a serious cluster ****. I typed a few of there plate numbers into my cell to report later, but didn't save the message properly and lost the info:mad2:

People like that should be made an example of. :D You've got enough information to make it interesting for them. I'd love to hear their side of the story. :D

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
DrMoab said:
I might be a little biased in this since I have sworn off EJS ever since it became nothing but a cool place for the spring breakers to hang out but... I have a couple of gripes.

I got to see EJS in a different light this week since I was working in the area and not wheeling. Some of you may know I drive for a living and had to go through Moab 8 times in the last four days and by the time I got out of there last night I wanted to strangle some people....

First off.
If your rig won't go any faster on the highway then 40 MPH....TOW IT!!!!
When you are going 35 MPH on the open highway with other vehicles...including trucks like me weighing 128 thousand pounds you are a DANGER! Coming out of the south I saw tons of jeeps, toys, buggies and what not going so slow and not even willing to pull over on the shoulder.

Second....what is the deal with guys in jeeps thinking its OK to just pull out on the highway anytime they want? I know the wheelers rule Moab over this week but I fail to see where that means that traffic laws do not apply.

And finally...
If you are driving your jeep home on US6 and are going 55 MPH and you look behind you and can't see the end of the traffic line behind you....PULL OVER and let traffic pass. As much as I hate more laws I think California has it right. If you are holding up more then five vehicles...pull over and let them by.

Maybe I was just jealous because I was working and not wheeling but my nerves were just about stretched to the limit by the time I got home.

Now you have a better idea how most of the locals feel.

Personally I think there were a lot less people around this year than in the past, I suspect because of Easter coming so late this year.

DrMoab

Rick B said:
Now you have a better idea how most of the locals feel.

Personally I think there were a lot less people around this year than in the past, I suspect because of Easter coming so late this year.
Really? Man it seemed like there were more then I have ever seen. If there was less people it might have had something to do with the RR4wd getting their wish in closing some of the trails when they were running them. I know of at least one guy from Chicago that decided not to go because of this.

I know its been beaten to death but I think they would do the 4wd community a huge favor by moving it to a weekend away from spring break.

Looking at it though different eyes I could see how people could get take a real ugly view on what we like to do and that is too bad.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
DrMoab said:
Looking at it though different eyes I could see how people could get take a real ugly view on what we like to do and that is too bad.

Spring break was more than a month ago fwiw.

I thought there were far fewer people this year than the last few. The last couple have coincided with spring break and that makes it worse. Easter is a holiday weekend for most people so regardless you're going to draw a crowd, but when it's later like this year and you miss all the college spring breaks, it wasn't quite as bad.

I spent most of my weekend north of town--we did Onion Creek to Rose Garden hill and only passed 1 vehicle. We did 7 mile rim over to Tusher Wash over to Barlett Wash over to the Pickle out to Dubinky and only saw a couple rigs--most of them congregated at Wipe Out Hill.

Cody

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
DrMoab said:
Finally coming home last night there was me and another semi runing up US-6 together just out of Green River. Both of us were doing close to 70 so it wasn't like we were holding up traffic and this dude in a Trail Blazer decided to pass us both. I could see someone coming the other way but this dude didn't care. He ended up pushing the guy coming the other way off on the shoulder because he didn't have the room to pass both of us trucks.
When I was running Patrols (convoys) for the military the one thing I always stressed was that they leave enough room between trucks so that people could pass one truck and cut in if needed.... some of you truckers out there don't seem to understand this measure and will run rear bumber to front bumber so that when a car starts to pass one of you it takes them close to forever to get around you both.... not to put you down or anything but some of you drivers (my brother included) just don't care about safety and make us smaller vehicles take chances that we shouldn't be....

But I do agree if your holding up more than 5 cars you should get out of the way.... or at least get out of the passing lane!!! ;) When I drove down there last weekend (7th) there was some guy in a toyota celica towing a rav4 down to El Salvador... I don't think he ever got up to 40 miles an hour and didn't one get out of the way of anyone.... I really felt like shooting him as I drove by him with the clift on his side.....:eek:

harkinoff

something to do...
first gripe was how Red Rock 4x4 wouldn't let us run trails they had scheduled. Another gripe is how they shut down Salad at 6:00pm.Shut down the vendor show early, weekend is when it should be rockin... People bitched about the law, they were pretty easy on us. Pulled a few of us over a few times and let us go. Thier biggest concern is insurance. You have you can play. Other than that, EJS can kiss my A$$...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
harkinoff said:
first gripe was how Red Rock 4x4 wouldn't let us run trails they had scheduled. Another gripe is how they shut down Salad at 6:00pm.Shut down the vendor show early, weekend is when it should be rockin... People bitched about the law, they were pretty easy on us. Pulled a few of us over a few times and let us go. Thier biggest concern is insurance. You have you can play. Other than that, EJS can kiss my A$$...

a. We have chatted that one to death... no right answer. Neccisary evil in most eyes. Most know my opinion... :D

b. Who shut it down? Why? I havn't been to Potato Salad/Bump Dump during EJS in 3 years... can't say I miss the insane crowds, drunk punks, etc. Can't blame EJS for Potato Salad. RR4W's even is Easter Jeep Safari, Potato Salad doesn't have any place in that buy give a bunch of people a nice centralized place to hang (good thing IMHO ;))

c. As a "vendor" I am glad it closed Friday at 7ish, the raffle was shortly therafter and many of the vendors participate.

I don't know about when it was closed for the night, but they (Sheriff Dept) were closing the road to Potato Salad periodically during the day when the crowd got too big. After enough cars would clear out, they'd let a few more in.