EJS Rumor or Fact?

Napoleon

Utah Native
I heard through the grapevine from a credible source that during the week of the safari there is a sort of "anti buggy/ questionable street legal" police force being brought in from outside Moab to enforce the street legallity of the vehicles and keep them off the city streets and highways. Is this true or rumor? Any info would be helpful.

Jay

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I still don't understand what is so hard about trailering your rig to the trail heads. It just doesn't seem worth the risk to drive rig that isn't street legal (aka buggies... ) even if it is EJS. :-\

Swallow your pride, curb crawlers. :p

Caleb

Herzog said:
I still don't understand what is so hard about trailering your rig to the trail heads. It just doesn't seem worth the risk to drive rig that isn't street legal (aka buggies... ) even if it is EJS. :-\

well said...

Ken

Can you imagine the hold up if everyone trailered their rigs to trail heads? I really could care less other than the fact that my mud flaps are 2 inches too short, my flares are 2 inches too short, my lift is 2 inches too big, etc ,etc ,etc. I fear for the power hungry cops that are out to get everyone. This is supoosed to be a time for fun. I'm very safe I just think that it will be impossible for them to manage anyways. They probably won't bother with me. I just dislike finicky things, they should worry about more important matters. I need to russle up one of those little cop stickers for my rear window.

Ken

Tacoma said:
Dumbass: it's **** THA PO-LEECE!!!!

some people. I swear. :rolleyes:

I don't see where EJS is a reason to ignore UT law, really.
I'm sorry but when I wrote that I wasn't in a Bone thuggin mode, so I spelled correctly.

Geepfreak

I'm here.
From my reputable source(UHP officer) the answer is YES! about an extra 20-25 officers will be down that week. Moto patrol and cruisers.

fjcruisin

Herzog said:

There isn't enough parking space for tow rigs at alot of the trailheads. How are you going to fit 20 or 30 rigs that are 35' to 50' long? THAT takes a lot of space! Do the cops think having all those tow rigs parked on the side of Kane Creek Road, or Potash, or any other narrow Moab road is going to be safer than off road rigs driving on the streets???

MattL

Hey, here is a thought. Could it maybe the residents of Moab that wanted the police to be there in the first place. I have seen some crazy things going on down there. Maybe it is for the general saftey of everyone. I have seen some seriously crazy driving on main, i have also seen drinking and driving on main and else where. When the two are combined then all hell breaks loose. I am sure that the intention is not mainly focused on getting the non legal rigs off the streets as it is to make sure that it is safe for everyone to enjoy.

just my thoughts..

Ken

This is true, this is true. I dunno what to think :confused: The fact of the matter is that 20 or 30 more cops really won'tmake a difference to me. Moab is too big and there will be too many people.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
We need to work with the local officials to designate and post an approved OHV route. They have signs for this all over in Fillmore Utah. All on side streets and through residential areas. There is an allowance within the law for this. Problem is, too many people want to parade their junk on the main drag(Ghey).
http://www.atvutah.com/fillmore/rides.htm

Last edited:

MattL

Ken said:
The fact of the matter is that 20 or 30 more cops really won'tmake a difference to me. Moab is too big and there will be too many people.

I have to diagree. if you have 10 cops on main, alone, that will make a huge difference imho. With the sight of a cop car will make people a little more cautious in their driving habits. you know how it is on the freeway. your zoom zooming along, bit over the speed limit. you catch glimps of a cop on the corner or infront of you, automatically the red alerts go up and you make sure the seat belt is on and you do everything right. And if you do get pulled over, you know the drill, it wont be long with the use of chit chat around the camp fire or standing in the stores parking lot or the use of a cb, word will be out and those 10 extra will make a huge difference. Cops can be be for good or for bad, dont help them and give them a harder time or reference. yes moab is big, and yes moab will have many people, matter of fact too many people. that is one of the reasons i will not be there this year. For all those that are going, enjoy and be safe.

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
Napoleon said:
I heard through the grapevine from a credible source that during the week of the safari there is a sort of "anti buggy/ questionable street legal" police force being brought in from outside Moab to enforce the street legallity of the vehicles and keep them off the city streets and highways. Is this true or rumor? Any info would be helpful.

Jay

I highly doubt it. Unless you are being a dumbass and doing really stupid things in town they shouldn't bother you. This event is one of the biggest money makers for the city, they don't want to piss off the people that bring in the money.

Now outside of town on the highways, that's a different story. We all know most highway cops are dinks (to put it nice), and they make their money by handing out tickets. If I had a buggy (waiting to win that lottery) I'd trailer it outside of town to where I'm going just to avoid the hassle.

fordy4

I don't know how they expect you to do trails like the spike or kane creek or pritchett canyon that start in one place and end in another without driving your rig on the roads? I agree with the idea of making a route for the trail rigs. I use to take the old highway in to town after running the spike or something, but last time I was down they had it closed off, so now what? It is definitely not practical for us to trailer everywhere when our trailer is a toy hauler type. It would mean picking up camp daily and leaving a 40' enclosed trailer at the trailhead!

Any thoughts during a non-safari time. Are they going to be more likely or less likely to pull you over?