EJS Rumor or Fact?

ZUKEYPR

Yes, strike one up for the daily driver owner :D Just kidding, but really you can't even begin to sell me on the fact that when you built your rock buggy rigs that you didn't know that it was illegal, that you didn't know that you were willing to take "that chance".

Ken said:
This is true, this is true. I dunno what to think :confused: The fact of the matter is that 20 or 30 more cops really won'tmake a difference to me. Moab is too big and there will be too many people.

Bet me........ever hear of a defile?

We need to work with the local officials to designate and post an approved OHV route. They have signs for this all over in Fillmore Utah. All on side streets and through residential areas. There is an allowance within the law for this. Problem is, too many people want to parade their junk on the main drag(Ghey).
http://www.atvutah.com/fillmore/rides.htm

This was the most intelligent thing stated on this thread.

BTW, I don't remember who made the statement but have you ever been hit by an uninsured motorist? I have twice. twice I haven't seen a dime. Twice I had to pay my $500.00 deductible.

Napoleon

Utah Native
Rick B said:
Well your source is of questionable credibility IMO. Every year the community foots the bill to bring in additional police because of EJS. This has been happening for many years. It's a budget item in the county sheriff's yearly budget to lease the UHP helicopter for 10 days or so during this event and to bring in additional law enforcement personnel. UHP also brings additional personnel into the area during this time, as well as the BLM. All of them are here to enforce the laws of the state & community.

Well not all of us live in Moab and are privvy to such elite sources as you are. Some of us tourists have to rely on other information and then further that with a little investigating, thus this thread. You talk about a self centered attitude, it seems most, not all, people in Moab have this holier than thou attitude, IMO.

Jay

Last edited:

Bart

This is exactly why I built a weekend wheeler. I was tired of trailering all over in Moab, especially during Safari. Now I can drive my street legal rig around and smile at all the law enforcement officers. :D

I never have driven my buggy around Moab and won't again when I have it down on Big Saturday. I think Moab is doing a great job of doing what they need to do, because if they don't the greenies will have one more excuse to shut down Safari.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Napoleon said:
You talk about a self centered attitude, it seems most, not all, people in Moab have this holier than thou attitude, IMO.

Jay
Dude, it's their town, not yours. You are a guest.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Napoleon said:
Well not all of us live in Moab and are privvy to such elite sources as you are. Some of us tourists have to rely on other information and then further that with a little investigating, thus this thread. You talk about a self centered attitude, it seems most, not all, people in Moab have this holier than thou attitude, IMO.

Jay

I think you're a little out of line here. Imagine if every year, a bunch of trucks invaded YOUR town, people from all over. I'm not so sure you wouldn't have some ambivalence of your own. I love 4x4's, but if Tooele for some reason had a million people every year coming in, and many people wanting to drive illegal vehicles all over the place, my enthusiasm might cool a little. Not everyone in Moab is a rockcrawler, mountain biker, etc etc. I can understand Rick's post.

Second of all, he lives there. Hardly an elite source. Just be cooooool man, like Fonzie. ;) :D

tv_larsen

Supergper said:
thats totally your choice to build yor rig like that, it was my choice to build a buggy, I weighed ALL the things (including having to traielr to the trails) in my descision. Its also your choice to go down to EJS, which as you know is the most crowded time of the year. Now its time to pay for your choices and reap the consequences (having to live in crowded parking lots, etc)

Exactly!

I don't understand it when someone builds a rig they know is illegal, then complains when they aren't allowed to drive it on the street.

This is why I've always tried to keep my rig street legal, and olther than mud flaps, it is. I've never bothered with the flaps in Moab, it was usually just an inspection thing. This year, I think I'll build removeable mud flaps and pin them so I can still drive down main street.

I suspect that if you're driving a vehicle in Moab, that doesn't look like it would be legal in any other city in Utah, you're going to get busted.

skulltoy

Trailer's Rockin!
I understand they are just enforcing laws that are already in place for a reason.

My idea was during the week of EJS when you first got into town you went to a designated place and bought a permit that would last for 1 week, that allowed you to drive your buggy on the street. You could charge $20-$50 for this, and make people show proof of insurance to get it. This would help offset the cost of having extra law enforcement in town that week.

I know by having a "Buggy" that I have to trailer to get it around, but it is really hard to do when you run a trail the ends a long distance from where it begins. I guess this year we'll just leave someone with the buggies, and someone else can hitch a ride back to the trailhead to pickup the tow rigs.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
skulltoy said:
I understand they are just enforcing laws that are already in place for a reason.

My idea was during the week of EJS when you first got into town you went to a designated place and bought a permit that would last for 1 week, that allowed you to drive your buggy on the street. You could charge $20-$50 for this, and make people show proof of insurance to get it. This would help offset the cost of having extra law enforcement in town that week.

All possible, and within the realm of the law. In the link I posted, you would be restricted to 15MPH.

ZUK

Rock bugs on the road......road bugs on the rocks....each is out of its "element". So I did something revolutionary and made my truck useable for both the road and trail. ;)
61f0b46d.jpg

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
ZUK said:
Rock bugs on the road......road bugs on the rocks....each is out of its "element". So I did something revolutionary and made my truck useable for both the road and trail. ;)

What...do you want a cookie or something?
:rolleyes:
Your vehicle is still illegal in utah from the looks of that picture.

Back on topic.

I have never been to EJS. I have seen tons of pictures of EJS and I choose not to go down there during that time.

If you don't like the crowds, go at another time.

IF you don't like the laws, lobby to change em.

IF you want to build a buggy, be prepared to two it anywhere and everywhere.

This is all remedial stuff people, why is this even a discussion? -_-

Ken

EJS is the mecca of off road. I love cops. I hear so many good things about the west valley ones. Like the convicted child molesters that still have jobs!!!! It makes me feel safer knowing that they want to protect me and maybe play with my little sister or brother.

utahxjer

Ken said:
EJS is the mecca of off road. I love cops. I hear so many good things about the west valley ones. Like the convicted child molesters that still have jobs!!!! It makes me feel safer knowing that they want to protect me and maybe play with my little sister or brother.
Guess what there is people like that in every single occupation... F'd up I know... even bishops.... I haven't heard of this WVC Officer, when was this? And they don't just up and fire someone if someone accuses them of something, they investigate it first... And what do you do for a living?

Sorry offtopic, but....

Caleb

Ken said:

and what does this have to do with this thread??? :rolleyes:

yeah, I love citizens that think they can make their vehicle illegal and go to EJS and just cause there is 50 million other Jeeps they think they are exempt from the laws :rolleyes:

I like Skulltoys idea, however, some of the vehicles I see around and on the trail I would not want to be caught dead on the same road as them...whether they have ins. or not...but I can see your point.

Klif01

Do I bother you?
I am scared to drive around during EJS, a lot of the trails rigs I have seen would probably cause a LOT of damage to me if they hit me.

I know my accuaintances drove this around last ejs :ugh: :eek:

P1010034.jpg

But then again, it all depends on what is done to the vehicle. This may look scary, but the suspension is setup how it was from the factory, as well as the brakes. Just the stinger and lack of bumpers would worry me!

wipedawg

And yet another thread that pretty much didn't accomplish anything. Yes there are going to be more cops (answer to the first question) and good luck to those who drive non-streetworthy rigs!

Ken

utahxjer said:
Guess what there is people like that in every single occupation... F'd up I know... even bishops.... I haven't heard of this WVC Officer, when was this? And they don't just up and fire someone if someone accuses them of something, they investigate it first... And what do you do for a living?

Sorry offtopic, but....
No way dude!!!! I thought that the weirdos were just cops, and catholics!!!!
I heard there were like 7 all in on it. One being a captain that was given information on it before 4 or 5 of the guys got busted with kids in their beds. The source was a gentleman that used to go to school with me and worked security jobs on the side. He had a lot of dirt on a lot of people and worked close with the feds as a snitch. It was a few years ago, I think he said they were listed!!!! They investigated and some guys got off and others switched departments/jobs but didn't serve jail time. It matters not what I do, only that I know and knowing is half the battle!!!!! I don't mind cops, but some have a chip on there shoulder.