Electric Dog Fence

STPPINZ

Last edited by a moderator:

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Do they work? Yes, they will shock the dog if they go beyond the boundry. I personally have never used one, but know people that have. It seems some dogs react well to them, and other dogs learn that if they can bolt through the "fence" it only shocks them for a few seconds and then they're free.

What kind of a dog are you interested in? You may want to think about adopting a senior :D

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
if it's anything like a livestock fence, don't pee on it

Nice lol. They are not like that though. Usually they have a control box and you run the wire along the perimeter you want and plug it back in. You can wire them out so your dog can come inside or go through gates etc. Generally the collar will give them a warning beep before they get shocked. I have seem them work pretty well. I have also seen some crazy dogs that just run through it and continue to get shocked. There is also some more expensive ones where they sorta work like radar where they have one center module and it sends out some sort of signal in a round perimeter. So you could put it in the center of your house and it would go 150 feet in every direction etc

STPPINZ

There is also some more expensive ones where they sorta work like radar where they have one center module and it sends out some sort of signal in a round perimeter. So you could put it in the center of your house and it would go 150 feet in every direction etc

This sounds like an better design. I will have to look into one of those.

STPPINZ

What kind of a dog are you interested in? You may want to think about adopting a senior :D

I am planning on getting a dog that is a little older like 2-4 years old that has figured things out. I have done the puppy thing a few times and with a new house and yard don't know if I could do it again. So possibly this type of fence would not be needed for that long. The type of dog that would just bolt right through the wire after doing it once would be one that would not be around very long.

Corban_White

My parents have one like that (from cabelas) and it works great on their beagle. I think theirs can be adjusted for width (ie the dog gets shocked 2 ft on either side of the wire and if he's gettin out they can turn it up so he gets shocked 5 feet on either side). He never even gets close enough to get shocked and can't even be dragged/persuaded by food to get near. In fact, there are trails in the grass at the edge of where he will go. The only problem they have found is that other, bigger dogs can still get in and bully him. Over all they love it tho.

BioNuke1

Jeepsus Chrystler
...other dogs learn that if they can bolt through the "fence" it only shocks them for a few seconds and then they're free.

I believe some electric dog fences continue to shock until the dog returns to the safe side.
Also most of them shock in incrementing intensity levels, starting with a love-tap or warning beep as the dog approaches the burried wire :D Check the manual for the specific modle.

Last edited:

dzeyer

I had one (PetSafe) on my property for my pit bull/terrior. It works with radio frequencies that run thru the wire buried along the perimeter of the property. The collar that came with the kit was too week, so I had to upgrade to the "Stubborn Dog" Collar.... much better. I loved being able to leave my dog outside without a fence at all. He wont even come near the property line... even if enticed by food.

Mr.Chevy

Yes they do work

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y2IIwgtuYEc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y2IIwgtuYEc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

STPPINZ

You know someone had to try it...funny.

Talking with a friend who tried one. He either had it turned to high or his dog is just a puss, but after the initial shock his dog started to wig out and act weird fora day or so. That made him feel so guilty he never used it again....Now the dog just roams the neighborhood...