Electrical Problems

redrock

I have 1988 Jeep Wrangler and my battery dies over night. I replace the battery same thing. Still dying. I read if you disconnect the neg battery cable and hook a light tester to the battery and the cable and the light comes on you have a bad wire somewhere and you can track down the ground by disconnecting wires and fuses etc.... No luck finding it though.

Anyone out there in jeep world ever have this problem and solved it.. I sure can use the help..

Thanks

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
take a disconnect the alternator wires... it sounds like the diodes in it have opened... causing voltage straight to ground...
If you didn't live so damn far out there in the boonies I would offer to help...

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
Maybe the battery is just crap...

U tried hooking up an amp meter and unplugging harness connectors/sensors/fuses/relays one by one and see if the draw goes to zero?
could be the ignition switch too.... try disconnecting that

Last edited:

redrock

Finally Fixed, After several you tube video, talking to a mechanic in town and 7 dollars worth of wire I fixed it..So here is what I found. I have a fat cat that crawls up in the engine and the FAT B**** sat on the electric choke wire causing it to become disconnected falling on the exhaust manifold. Then as I drove the jeep it melted the wire this starting the chain of events, it grounded out on the manifold burning the wire all the way to the relay and back down to the temperature sensor. I could not see the melted wire till I started just unplugging everything and anything to track down the short..Thanks for all your in put now I am back on the road..