Elk Ridge '15 and the return of The Piss Eating Doe

DAA

Had to wait for my partner Tim to get off work Wed. evening before we could leave town, so ended up in rush hour traffic for about 60 miles, from my house to Spanish Fork. The traffic mercifully lightened as we started up the canyon towards Soldier Summit. Excepting one road raged trucker heading south on Hwy 6 between Wellington and I70. Total nut job. Have never seen a big rig driver acting like that, ever. At one point he was off on the right shoulder alongside me and swerving to force me towards the other lane (rigs in front of me, nowhere for me to go). Dude was out of control and looking to get someone killed. First passing lane, I let him get WAY ahead of me.

Then when we got off of I70 at Crescent Junction to go to Moab, I saw him parked off the side of the exit. I SOOOOO wanted to heave a rock through his window so he’d come out and fight! Heck, I wanted to light his truck on fire with him in it and shoot him in the knees with my .357 when he ran out of the flames then stomp his teeth down his throat and cave his ribs in and pop his lungs and, well, you get the idea... Tim talked me out of it though and so I pulled back onto the highway and kept going towards Moab. I’m definitely getting old!

So, we ended up pulling off the highway and tossing out the cots and sleeping bags about 11pm, at a spot I’ve used quite a few times just to crash for a few hours. It’s on the east side of the highway, just before the turn for the Needles, back up in East Canyon – a nice little slickrock spot protected from prevailing winds.

At 5am Thur. morning we were rolling south on 191 again, me sipping a big mug of hot coffee and puffing a nice cigar. Life is good! By 7am we were fueled up, coffee refilled and leaving pavement out of Blanding on the cutoff to Cottonwood Wash, where we took the Elk Ridge road. Saw a few deer on the way to camp.

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-6W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-274W.jpg

After driving around looking at deer for a couple of hours we pitched camp in a spot heading out towards Steamboat Point. This was to be a rare “static camp”. That is to say, we were going to leave the tent and stuff setup in the same spot for several days. This is exceedingly uncommon for me. But a nice change of pace, not having to strike camp every morning and put it back up every night.

After camp was setup, we headed down the Peavine/Dark Canyon corridor trail. This is where I suffered a broken track bar a few years ago and I wanted to make it to the end this time. Which, we did without any problem. The road eventually peters out and from there it’s not too long of a walk to the Scorup cabin – an old line cabin built about 90 years ago and still in use as recently as the ‘70s. It’s in great shape and still has many artifacts in place. Neat spot to visit!

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-12W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-15W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-20W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-29W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-35W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-52W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-60W.jpg

There are a couple of spots on the trail to get there that don’t look like they are going to last much longer. There is one wash crossing, near the end, that nothing wider than my Jeep could get across now and it won’t surprise me if even my Jeep is too wide in another year. Then there is this spot, a bit earlier in the trail, that might not last all that much longer either.

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-551W.jpg

The cut bank on the side that you can’t see, is just as steep and deep. Not a lot of room to get across now, not hard to imagine just a couple good storms making it impassable to full size rigs.

- DAA

DAA

More…

Back in camp we ate our rib eyes and green beans before venturing out to put around real slow in the Jeep and look at some more deer (I never get tired of that!).

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-448W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-467W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-124W.jpg

Then, we got a wild hair to go do the Big Pocket overlook loop near Cathedral Butte. It was kind of a dumb idea, starting as late as we did. Since the whole point of doing it is to see the views. But it got too dark to see almost as soon as we got out along the rim.

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-86W.jpg

The loop road is a BUMPY son of a gun! Slow going and we ended up doing most of it in the dark, with nothing to see for all the bumps.

The Return of the Piss Eating Doe

Got back to camp late. Got a fire going. Poured a couple sundowners of High West and were enjoying the atmosphere. All the sudden Tim just about falls over backwards in his chair jumping up and pointing! Something had rushed right up to us in the dark. By the time I turned to look, it was in the firelight and I could see it was just a mule deer doe. She came right up to us, and our campfire, and just started eating grass in the firelight, right next to us, calm as could be.

We figured this HAD to be The Piss Eating Doe! The what? You may be asking? So… Three years ago, almost to the day, we had been camped in the same spot. There had been a doe hanging out near camp for a couple of days. Tim walked over behind the Jeep to take a leak and this doe was watching him like a hawk. As soon as he walked away, she came running over and started eating the grass he had just peed on. She hung around our camp and continued to eat piss grass for the rest of the trip. So we called her The Piss Eating Doe. The full report from that trip is here:

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.ph...e-7-18-7-22-12&p=854907&viewfull=1#post854907

Anyway… We let the fire die down and moved over to sit at the table with an electric lantern. She came over and joined us.

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-266W.jpg

And for the rest of the trip, anytime we were in camp, she was always there, making herself comfortable. She seemed to like being close to us. She walked right up and put her nose against both of us at different times and I wasn’t even startled when I got up in the middle of the night to take a leak and she would be standing there right next to me waiting to get the piss grass.

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-317W.jpg

She did an excellent job cleaning my camp stove too!

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-347W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-329W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-324W.jpg

And she made an outstanding watch dog. We always knew well ahead of time when a vehicle was approaching on the main road a couple hundred yards away (which thankfully, there were few). Her ears would come up and she’d look that way and a minute or two later, we’d hear the vehicle coming too. Anytime another deer came anywhere near camp, she’d alert us to it. And when another doe came wandering in to the little meadow we were all sharing she stomped around it all stiff legged and blowing loudly through her nose until the strange doe left.

After a couple days of this, we started calling her Honey, no longer TPED. And I swear, she’d come when we called her! Pretty neat camp entertainment!

- DAA

DAA

More…

Next morning, Friday, we just put-putted up and down the road for a few hours – you guessed it, looking at deer! Seriously though, a nice cool high mountain morning, quakies and pine, a dirt road, my Jeep, sipping fresh hot coffee and Baileys, smoking a good cigar, mule deer buck in velvet, life just doesn’t get any better!

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-218W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-287W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-418W.jpg

Following the morning deer viewing, we drove out along North Long Point, around the Sweet Alice Hills and out along Wild Cow Point.

Along the way, I saw the biggest black bear I have ever seen. Great big, beautiful cinnamon/blonde. Looked fully twice the size of most of the black bear I have ever seen in Utah. Definitely bigger than any of the ones I saw in Yellowstone last year. He was about 75 yards off the road standing on his hind legs when I spotted him and he had already seen the Jeep. As soon as I started to slow down he dropped to all fours and boogied over the ridge out of sight. No chance for a picture! Rats!

Anyway… The road out on Wild Cow Point has some real 4Lo terrain and was pretty fun. It eventually dead ends at a WSA boundary gate in a side canyon leading down into Fable Valley. From there, I started hiking to go check out some rock art and ruins down in Fable Valley. Ended up about ten miles, round trip.

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-134W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-145W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-160W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-161W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-163W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-182W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-187W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-190W.jpg

On the drive back out towards camp, we stopped and spent half an hour trying to call that bear up for the camera, but he wasn’t playing. I’m already thinking about camping in that area next year and spending a day or two really trying to call a bear to the camera.

Saw more deer on the way back to camp…

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-241W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-480W.jpg

Pork chops and fried cabbage for dinner, whiskey and cigar around the campfire with our mascot Honey hanging out making us laugh, it was a good evening!

- DAA

DAA

More…

Sat. morning, you guessed it, put-putting up and down the road looking at deer!

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-443W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-366W.jpg

Later in the morning we found ourselves down towards the turn for Dry Mesa so we decide to go visit the Dollhouse ruin.

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-298W.jpg

Turkey vulture hanging around on the thermals in the area

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-377W.jpg

Then it was back to camp to play with the doe again before having an early dinner of rib eyes and asparagus. Followed by the last evening of driving around looking at the deer.

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-502W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-443W.jpg

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-488W.jpg

Sunday morning came all too soon! But all good things must come to an end, so we packed up camp and headed out. I decided to take the long scenic route back to pavement though. So we went out via the Woodenshoe road – exploring Deer Flat and a couple dead end Jeep trails near The Hideout, up around The Pushout, down Upper Horse Flats, over Indian Head Pass and along Browns Rim to reach Hwy 95 near Hite. We had driven over 400 miles since last touching pavement.

20150724_Elk%20Ridge_Camping-514W.jpg

The End!

- DAA

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Excellent stuff as always Dave! I spent a few days on Elk Ridge with my dad and brother. Amazing amount of wildlife there. We had a sow bear and two cubs come into our camp one night. That was interesting :D I'll have to check if I was on some of the same roads you were on :D (maybe not....just checking some maps. We were up by "Duck Lake" and "Dead Man's Point" and as far north as "Sego Spring") A couple of your shots look pretty familiar.

Last edited:

DAA

Excellent stuff as always Dave! I spent a few days on Elk Ridge with my dad and brother. Amazing amount of wildlife there. We had a sow bear and two cubs come into our camp one night. That was interesting :D I'll have to check if I was on some of the same roads you were on :D (maybe not....just checking some maps. We were up by "Duck Lake" and "Dead Man's Point" and as far north as "Sego Spring") A couple of your shots look pretty familiar.

Exactly the same area. We camped about 10 miles south of Duck Lake. But we drove up past there every day, either morning or evening, looking for deer. And the big bear I saw was on North Long Point, which is just the other side of the canyon from Sego, he was probably less than 3 miles from the spring, as the crow flies.

As often as I've seen bears up there, I'm pretty serious about going back next summer and trying to call one in for some picture taking :D. I'd just about give my left testicle for some good pictures of that big bruiser I saw the other day!

- DAA

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
We camped up about a mile south of where the road forks for Beef Basin (There's a pond up at 37.859657, -109.784340---http://marbryson.com/images/2013_Elk/IMG_1322%20(Small).JPG ---iPhone picture so not exactly impressive but you'll likely know the spot?). Spent most of our hunting time going south near Dead Man's Point but did some poking around elsewhere also. He did get his bull scored at 340something. Definitely respectable but my brother told me a few weeks ago he passed on a much bigger one for some reason (sounds like he almost didn't pull the trigger on the one he got but that's a whole other story).

That's a pretty sweet area. I wanted to explore more than hunt but got a huge kick out of just putting around up there in the JKU exactly as you describe when I wasn't glassing and moving around real slow. I knew I was missing cool spots as you've pictured above.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Thanks for the thread bump...I'm not sure how I missed this and am glad I was able to see it. As always Dave, very entertaining. Thanks for sharing.

rholbrook

Just a thought in hindsight. Should have taken the crazy trucker's kidney for your boss. Chances were very very slim that there would be a match but it would have been a great excuse to get him off the road.

One of your late sister-in-laws best friend's husband (Denise) just got another kidney a few months ago. When I say another, Sheldon's first one was at 22 yrs old, it lasted till he was 53. I can get you in touch with them if you need to talk about how they went about finally getting another match.