Emissions and inspection

Rockjunky317

Im trying to get my 89 chevota registered, i live in salt lake county and not sure if this is even possible or what steps i have to take in order to do this, its obviously wont pass the original toyota emission standards but does that mean im outta luck? I have a buddy that lives in tooele so i might be able to do it that way but wanna stay as honest as possible. Has anyone ever done this in Salt Lake county or know what to do? Thanks

74highboy

its possible but you will need to contact the county health department and tell them what you have done to it you can do swaps but their are hoops you will have to jump threw to get threw emissions as far as safety as long as its as strong or stronger then factory you should be ok and all the normal things mud flaps lights things like that

thenag

I had a full size bronco that was an 87 with a 4.9L I-6. I put a 460 from a 96 f350 in it. I usually had to go to the county office in Murray for emissions. (Bronco's were never offered with a 460 so it technically would not have been legal in CA.)

The standard is that the motor has to be newer than the vehicle (it isn't like they checked anything on the engine for the year) and all emissions equipment for the vehicle has to be functioning. So if it had an air pump, egr, etc, you need an air pump, egr, etc.

I never had any issues but I had a rebuilt 460 with a new CAT, the emissions coming out the tail pipe would pass for an 87 with an I-6.

Call the county office you will probably be transferred around a bit until you get someone who can tell you exactly what you need to have. I would believe if you are nice to them they will be nice to you, I never had an negative encounters with them.

Safety can be done at any shop, I would go get safety done first, talk to the inspectors about the engine swap. One time I had a shop do my emissions, they just called the SLVHD office asked them about my vehicle and did the test and passed it.

nathan
99 cherokee... I am not going to make a "chev-okee"

B2-Bomber

i am a former emissions inspector, sl county's emissions laws share most with california (sl county's air quality is in the top 3 worst in the nation or at least was years ago when i went to the class)
the sl county health department on vine st. is the place that will need to do yours.
i have a v8 broncoII and a couple years ago when it was time to re-register my v8 bronco II i went through this, they told me the laws were:

1, must be an engine manufactured the same year or newer
2, must have the same miles on engine or less
3, must have been an optional engine for that year,make, model
4, must have all emissions control components as the engine came with (newer engine, newer emission controls)
5, must pass the emissions test as the newer engine.

because as each model year goes on the emissions allowances get tighter and tigher. so if it's a newer engine, with its required controls....it pollutes less, and must conform to standards as if it does pollute less

that being said he told me that he can't say "yeah go ahead, break the law, its ok....." but he did say that if a vehicle has a swap done and it has applicable emissions controls, and not some ridiculous cam shaft in it. and it passes and emissions tailpipe measurement for the vehicle it is in. he'll usually pass it. because the goal is meeting emissions requirements. not telling people which engines they can have.

what steps i have to take in order to do this
i suggest taking it to a regular emissions testing place, and let them run the test, and if it passes you get a certificate, and if it doesn't, maybe because it failed a visual inspection for missing emissions controls, or maybe it failed a probe test. the funny thing is that it isn't technically the responsibilty of the inspector to know the exterior appearance of every engine, but it is his responsibility to visually verify that all components are there,

we would get broncoII's and rangers coming in with 4.0 swaps that i knew were a 4.0, but the sticker under the hood says 2.9l, it had all emissions components, it wasn't up to me to say "hey that's a different engine than a 2.9" as far as the procedure is concerned it is a 2.9.

i also currently have3 friends with bronco IIs that have 4.0 swaps on them that when they get their emissions done every year it is tested as a 2.9, and since the 4.0 is newer it passes better than a 2.9

if you fail he will refer you to the health department, if you pass you get a certificate. either way it is on the inspector at that point not you. and if you have already paid for an emissions test before you go to the health department's testing facility you won't have to pay again.

so it won't hurt to go to a regular testing station first. and go from there

obviously wont pass the original toyota emission standards
is your chev engine newer than your truck is? is it using the correct emissions controls for that engine? if yes to both, it will pass the toyota tailpipe probe test.

the problem is that most people don't swap engines and use all of the emissions controls

i have another friend that has an obdII v8 in his broncoII, they still stuck a probe in his tailpipe but it passes, and has for years. that's why all of these ls1 swaps fly because they are newer engines, and if the swap utilizes the ls1 emission controls it will still put out less pollution than even a 4 cylinder that is from an older model year

Last edited:

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
The head guy down at Vine ST murry location told me this... "its better to ask for forgiveness the permission" he then went on to explain he wouldn't say its ok until its installed running infront of him and he can test it... pretty stand up people that are easy to deal with unlike a lot of county/state/fed ran programes IMO

B2-Bomber

i agree, he is totally awesome. and told me pretty much the same thing. he's an older gentleman (60+) but knows cars/engines better at 1 glance than anyone i've met.

they'll take care of you there

blznnp

anyone know anyone that is street legal with propane only on a offroad rig? I would rather keep my blazer registered in WA since we don't have inspections there and no emissions at my place in washington, but then again I might get hassled if a cop pulls me over for having WA plates and a Ut drivers license. Don't have any of the emissions stuff that was on the 4.3L stock, has a 350 swapped in and running on propane, so it doesn't need all the electronic stuff.

B2-Bomber

call the health department and see what they say. he'll tell you what is needed for propane emissions, i don't currently know anyone in this state with Lp-injection on an off-road rig

Last edited: